Author Topic: printing on metal (brushed Aluminium prints)  (Read 14422 times)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Re: printing on metal (brushed Aluminium prints)
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2017, 19:45:42 »
Thanks Alaun - you and especially Carl has been very helpful and provided interesting links.
I wonder how well our local process compares to the ones in your and Carl's links.
The fact that all AL prints are not equal - seems to be a mine field.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2017, 00:36:02 »
Thanks Alaun - you and especially Carl has been very helpful and provided interesting links.
I wonder how well our local process compares to the ones in your and Carl's links.
The fact that all AL prints are not equal - seems to be a mine field.

Yes, minefield indeed. My lab gave me 4X6 metallic print just so i could see what they look like.
Carl

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2017, 07:25:40 »
Yes, minefield indeed. My lab gave me 4X6 metallic print just so i could see what they look like.

and??
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2017, 06:13:38 »
and??

It was different, and I could see where some images would look very nice printed that way. But it wasn't printed on metal.
Carl

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2017, 09:58:50 »
was it metalic paper?

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2017, 15:43:45 »
was it metalic paper?

Kodak metallic paper. I mean looking at the printed side it looks like what you would expect a print on metal to look like. But turn it over and it looks like the backside of photo paper, and there's no metallic feel to it. It has a high gloss finish, and a 1/16th" border.

It's a promotional print with the name (Tempe Camera Imaging Center) and contact info for my lab on the lower left, and on the lower right is www.http://www.lightcatchersstudios.com, and their contact info. Light Catchers is here in the Phoenix area, and their website is affiliated with https://www.smugmug.com.

All of this stuff might be old hat to many folks here, but it was my first look at a metallic print. I didn't think that I've been living in a cave, but maybe I have.   :-\
Carl

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2017, 18:38:04 »
it is not old hat for me - I have seen metallic prints, but they are very expensive and not normally done here because of that.  I have considered doing metallic paper prints tho- I think they will be very suitable for my B&W nudes

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2017, 17:01:13 »
it is not old hat for me - I have seen metallic prints, but they are very expensive and not normally done here because of that.  I have considered doing metallic paper prints tho- I think they will be very suitable for my B&W nudes

Expensive, okay, they sure aren't cheap. OTOH, as we saw in the Bay Photo video, when you consider printing, framing/mounting costs to get a standard print on the wall, the difference in investment costs between the standard and metal versions is not so much.

I took one of my images to my lab to have them print and frame it, and by the time I was done I was in it for over $100, and this was a 9X17 size. Oh, they did a good job, but it was not inexpensive. To be fair, I have not inquired about how much it would cost to do it on metal. But, that thought lingers.  ;)
Carl

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2017, 17:26:16 »
One thing to consider - you dont have to frame a metal print. It comes with a hanging frame at the back (costs a bit extra though) and in my experience - framing can be very expensive

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2017, 17:55:43 »
One thing to consider - you dont have to frame a metal print. It comes with a hanging frame at the back (costs a bit extra though) and in my experience - framing can be very expensive

That was more or less my point as to why the finished costs between metal and paper are closer than many think.

My wife does oil painting, and we've been down the framing costs road. Yikes! One of her tricks is to shop thrift stores and yard sales for used frames, and she has found some genuine bargains with used frames, most often they're filled with something that is easily removed. While not all are suitable, some are really useful.
Carl

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2017, 18:00:16 »
Well some photographers own their own professional printing studios and I know of a few who also do their own framing. This wont work for me thought - but each to his own. I have printed on canvass as that saves framing, and I have also used recycled frames. But I don't print often - my clients have their own images printed. I do a number of coffee table books though.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2017, 18:04:22 »
I should have added that our son-in-law does water colors, many times I've heard him complain about people that want to hang one of his paintings in a POS (an obviously cheap) frame. It really gets his hackles up.
Carl

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2017, 18:14:29 »
Well lets face it - we think our images / art is stunning - so why would we be happy skimping on the frame. But we do

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2017, 18:24:18 »
Well lets face it - we think our images / art is stunning - so why would we be happy skimping on the frame. But we do

I should be the first to admit that I might be the last person to ask about what frame is best for what. Framing is out of my wheel house, as they say, although I am allowed to pay for it.  ;)
Carl

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2017, 20:26:08 »
I dont print  and frame much - have no space to hang anything :)