Author Topic: printing on metal (brushed Aluminium prints)  (Read 14420 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: printing on metal (brushed Aluminium prints)
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 23:26:29 »
I wonder how the final print is made?  Is there any special emulsion applied on the brushed aluminium?  Or the aluminium will be etched?  Or is it still a kind of ink jet print?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 23:29:44 »
The ink is applied and then hardened using UV light. I don't know the exact details. The prints are very durable and waterproof.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 23:37:51 »
I should add the recommended settings for soft-proofing with the linked ICC profile:

Rendering intent: Relative colorimetric, black point compensation on
Simulate paper color: Off
Preserve RGB numbers: Off
Set the background in Photoshop to middle gray

Monitor brightness: 80-90 cd/m²
Color temperature: 6500° Kelvin
Gamma 2,2
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2017, 07:44:25 »
Is there such a thing as 'white ink' in photo inkjet printing?
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2017, 10:22:28 »
Thank you Simone - much appreciated. I will be sitting with the printer this week.
Agreed that architecture seems very suitable for metal prints.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2017, 11:11:03 »
First thing I always do, is importing the relevant ICC Profile from the printer / finisher, and work from this profile (screen proofing) to optimise the output file.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2017, 11:12:58 »
Mr Floyd - I am hoping to do that this week.
All retouching done - just now to get it print ready
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

MFloyd

• NG Member
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2017, 11:15:48 »
OK Elsa, but I noticed that simsurace already answered the question. I'm working with White Wall Berlin and they provide an ICC profile for every product they have.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2017, 11:19:36 »
Mr Floyd - you would be surprised to find how many of the printing companies have staff that doesn't have a clue as to what a printer profile is.
We simply don't have the amount of feet many other countries have - so it's a struggle at times to find people who know more than you (me) do. And I don't know half as much about printing as I would like to.

MFloyd

• NG Member
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2017, 11:23:39 »
Printing is very often "unknown territory", also for many photographers.  And it's not easy matter. 😊
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2017, 11:53:31 »
Thanks for understanding. I feel like a royal idiot when it comes to printing at the best of times.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2017, 13:15:05 »
The ink is applied and then hardened using UV light. I don't know the exact details. The prints are very durable and waterproof.

Simone, thanks for the explanation.  Perhaps the ink is some sort of dyed UV cure plastic?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2017, 22:23:02 »
Elsa,

Adding contrast as in the "Brightness and Contrast" is not going to work. Brightness and Contrast are "lousy" and throw out data. A curve is needed as in "Levels and Curves" as the brightest and darkest values you want in the print need to be saved.

When you use "Contrast" it will push values out the top leaving larger pure white areas. The most you want are tiny pure white areas such as specular highlights. Usually you want a hint of detail in the darkest parts of a print but "Contrast" will push this hint of detail out the bottom so you end up with large areas of pure black. "Contrast" causes clipping in both the highlights and shadows unless the original image was quite flat.

This might be the suspect:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTF1fD9BKiE/

http://russellbrown.com/

...who said "Brightness and Contrast" was included in Photoshop for amateurs.

Instead of using brightness and contrast use "Levels and Curves." These are sometimes separate and sometimes combined depending on the program in use. The object is to keep generally keep the high and low points and modify the contrast in between. You generally want good mid tone contrast. A straight line from dark to light give a very flat, chalk and soot appearance.

Now wild guessing: I'm thinking you are having trouble with highlight contrast so perhaps it should be steep. You might draw down the 1/4 tone with one point in curves thus compressing the shadow contrast. The contrast will build giving useful contrast in the mid tones and even more in the highlights.

Printing profiles: I think this is something like matching a negative to a sheet of printing paper. I'm pretty sure they are applying a curve to image to fit it on the printing media in an attractive way.

A profile and soft proofing should take care of a lot of trial and error. It sounds like a printing profile is like the quest for the Holy Grail.

Best,

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

MFloyd

• NG Member
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2017, 22:40:17 »
An advantage with soft proofing with e.g. Lr, is that you can ascertain what is within the gamut of the print medium, and adjust accordingly.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2017, 22:45:59 »
David - I use curves to add contrast (sometimes Levels) but never the Brightness and Contrast adjustment.

I have been re-thinking the editing somewhat. (Been sleeping on it as we say) and I think my second edit (with extra contrast)  is overdone. I have placed the test prints in different places (light-wise) and looking at it from different distances - and it actually isnt bad at all.

I wont touch a re-edit till I sit with the printer. Except THAT is on hold since a Crane Truck decided to make it's acquaintance with my vehicle this afternoon. And since it's bigger than my vehicle... The hook when right thru my back window.