Author Topic: Sony introduces the a9  (Read 33320 times)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Sony introduces the a9
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2017, 18:28:21 »
I think it would be best to accept that different types of technical solutions work well for different people. I think it is great that we have so many different options available today. I would prefer even greater diversity if possible.

I appreciate the silent high frame rate solution offered by Sony in this camera but it is not cost effective for me and I would like an optical viewfinder nevertheless. I can see this would be very useful for some applications; not necessarily sports but e.g. weddings, funerals, and concerts, for those who can afford it.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2017, 18:29:52 »
3.69 mp sounds very much like the Fuji GFX EVF. I think you would have to try it to actually know how it works for you. Could too much contrast be your problem, or what we in the film days called steep graduation of an emulsion?

Considering the future, your challenge with the EVF really would have to be solved.

Considering that the LCDs and hi-res TVs are brighter, more contrasty and more stressful to the eyes, the EVF could become worse and worse.   :o :o :o

The most "decent" EVF for me was that of Olympus E-M5 MkII, but I read complains that its contrast was too low.  :(
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2017, 18:45:14 »
Well, the OVF gives me eyestrain, and I can't reliably focus with it, but Nikon and Canon haven't given it an extreme makeover, so far. :o

Sometimes users stay the way they are. ;)

Probably the problem are your eyes.

I've tested quite extensively the best EVFs available (Sony Alpha, Leica SL): it's not working. I still don't understand that the only way of salvation for camera makers should go the "mirrorless way"; cost reduction wise may be.  But as a sport / action photographer, EVF is still a piece of sh...t to express it more bluntly.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2017, 19:04:53 »

EVF is still a piece of sh...t to express it more bluntly.

+1

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2017, 19:17:56 »
The biggest reason for the varying opinions and experiences with OVF and EVF is that the viewfinder involves individual eye(s) to look into them.  So, no one can generalize the conclusion of "which is better" dispute.  The only thing we can do is to share individual experience.  Arguments make little sense.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2017, 20:01:40 »
The EVF fans should just accept this technology is not yet an universal solution. Nothing more. I'm not denying their preference at all.

The problems with current implementations of the OVF are readily acknowledged and debated. Why cannot it be the same for EVF?

The entire discussion has an eerie echo of the response to the audio CD technology in its time. We were told it was "perfect", shown graphs that indicated the same,  yet the sound was in some way alien and stressing to the ear. It took the science many years to perfect the digital sound. Some purists would say it can never be good enough. I don't hold that position at all, only that one should learn from history.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2017, 20:19:25 »
Please can we keep offensive language out of this debate.

Also, I do not see anyone claiming that EVFs are a universal solution.  I do see some saying that they prefer them.

Personally, I am comfortable with both EVF and OVF, and find benefits with both.
Anthony Macaulay

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2017, 20:27:57 »
In my imagination, to gain acceptance in the pro PJ/Sports shooting community, the finder in the new Sony will have to:
1.Be bright enough to be seen/used easily when used in blazing bright sunlight (10.000lux+).
2.Have the motion delay down to the one frame (approx 1/30th of a second) that pro video cameras have.
3. Not suffer from blackout/freezout during sequence shooting.  An OVF can be used to manually follow focus(in good light) at 10 or 12 FPS...will this camera/finder allow that?
I hope it's as good as the promo materials make it sound. 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2017, 21:57:03 »
The specs are impressive, but there're a lot of footnotes with the specs.
I'll follow the reviews, but this camera is not on my list. I will skip at least one other generation mirrorless camera's
One thing is for sure; mirrorless is closing in fast.
Chris Dees

Alaun

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2017, 22:12:56 »
The specifications seem great, except for the strange lack of GPS support. ...

GPS data is supported via blue tooth and an APP on e.g a mobile phone.

---

A OVF does show a lot of black out when shooting at a high frame rate burst (my D4 experience). The latest EVF (like the Oly E1 MK 2, much better than the first E1) are very close, Sony claims A9 to be even better (no black out at all), sounds good.

Wer-      Dro-
      ner         ste

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2017, 22:24:07 »
GPS data is supported via blue tooth and an APP on e.g a mobile phone. --

That is not what is meant by GPS support. It should be natively supported by the camera. One might as well use a standard GPS logger with all the hassles that approach entails.

Alaun

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2017, 22:31:29 »
Ah, they need to have some options for further versions ;-)
Wer-      Dro-
      ner         ste

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2017, 23:12:32 »
Hybrid VF, please Nikon.  It is certainly possible.  Nikon will not be able to compete on electronics alone against Sony.  If they retain the analog/optical factor they can retain a foothold that Sony will not touch.
-Tristin

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2017, 00:35:22 »
The "silent shutter" is so tempting... It will be a great feature for stage shootting
Hi Paco, I have an a7S for sale with silent shutter and insane ISO performance ;)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2017, 01:46:19 »
Considering that the LCDs and hi-res TVs are brighter, more contrasty and more stressful to the eyes, the EVF could become worse and worse.   :o :o :o

The most "decent" EVF for me was that of Olympus E-M5 MkII, but I read complains that its contrast was too low.  :(

Anyone can answer...

Isn't the brightness and contrast of a EVF user adjustable? I would think this would be a standard feature by now.v

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!