Author Topic: Nikon D500 or Fuji XT2  (Read 18567 times)

Muyweard Eadbridge

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon D500 or Fuji XT2
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2017, 23:55:13 »

The Brits have a saying “Spoiled For Choice”.  I had an old D7000 which I used for years as my walk-around camera on vacations, etc. It was for ‘Happy Snaps’ when out with the wife; who didn’t like to wait and couldn’t abide the slow deliberate method of my landscape work with the D800.

The time finally came to get rid of the 7000. I was determined to get something small, portable and yet with good Image quality. I narrowed it down to Sony, Fuji and Nikon. They were all excellent cameras. I liked the way that Fuji rendered its images, I was intrigued with the Sony A7rII high resolution, and The Nikon D 7500 seemed a good unit. Choices Galore…

The Sony, by the time I added new glass wasn’t much lighter than my D800! This was not  a walkabout vacation camera and more expensive than I desired. Goodbye Sony.

The Fuji was loved by every Fuji owner I talked to. It was light, efficient and the company really listened to its users (unlike Nikon) and even updated cameras that had been out for several years. Also, there was something really attractive about the way Fuji rendered its images. The problems with Lightroom weren’t a deal killer, yet. The first crack in my love affair with Fuji came from the EVF. There was just something that seemed unnatural about it. The more I looked the more I strained and wound up using live view on the back. This would not work for fast vacation snaps especially in bright conditions. Then came the final blow from Lightroom. That is what I would have to use. We used it in school and I was married to it. The Fuji users told me I would not be happy. Sayonara Fuji. 

I was really down on Nikon because of its lack of manufacturing quality control. My D800 had to go back to the factory and every high end camera they introduced came with its own set of problems. It seemed that Nikon didn’t even like its customers. They were just a necessary evil that stood in the way of greater profitability. So I did nothing. My iPhone grew into my most used camera.

Then Nikon introduced the D7500. It was no longer just a rumor. I waited but didn’t hear of any manufacturing faux pas. Then I made the mistake of actually going to the camera store. It was light. It was small. It was good. But (there is always a but before the bad news comes), it wasn’t weather sealed, it used a lot of plastic, and it only had one card slot. I’m a belt and suspenders kind of guy. When I go on vacation I want my images backed up just in case. The X-Pro 2 had two slots!! Damn Fuji, she makes it hard not to love her! Then the store tech (whom I had known for years) dropped the BOMB.  The D500 was on sale.

The D500 was bigger and heavier than I wanted but it was weather proofed. It was sturdy and used a lot of metal, it had the new autofocus system, it offers an uncompressed raw file in 12 or 14 bits, a deeper buffer and higher frame rate, and the controls are set up very similarly to the D800. It also offered a tilting monitor so I will not have to lay on the ground to get those low shots. Can you sense that I am talking myself into the D500? Yep. I bought her. But I’m still not entirely happy with Nikon. Just for spite I determined not to read the Nikon manual. So, I bought Thom Hogan's manual even though it has over 900 pages that I have to wade through;)

So, as you can see - what Bjørn said “it boils down to the user experience in handling the gear”. 

I haven’t forgotten Fuji entirely. I want to replace my D800. Some of the images I print really big (4 to 5 feet) for school or exhibits. Now I’m looking at the GFX 50S. I’ll probably need everyone’s help again soon.

This was a really long post just to agree with Bjørn.    But I found it very cathartic.
Thanks for your forbearance.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2017, 00:11:56 »
Muyweard Eadbridge: What a strange & nice & long introductary post. Welcome. I tried the GFX and it is still focus by wire and I did not like it. Tethered in the Studio: OK! Very much so.
But on the road?

I want to always be able to couple mechanically to focussing and focus maually! Yes, the D500 AF is very very good. But sometimes it just does not do what I want and I can just do it manually. That is my baby.

And I want the same in FX. I tried the D5 but it is a speciality camera with many features I do not need and I am not paid for by my customers, so I wait for a D500 with an FX chip, preferrably a BSI!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2017, 01:12:56 »
Muyweard, thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm still on the fence, or was still on the fence about the X-T2.

As you mentioned, Lightroom doesn't convert the RAF files well, with native glass there isn't much in weight savings and the one thing that kept nagging at me in the back of my mind was that without power, the EVF will remain.... black.

So I gave it a lot of thought, and decided to go about this smart. I talked two hours to a professional using the X-T2 in his daily line of work. What I'll do now is go to a photo store (as soon as they have a D500 in stock. Calling them every day to confirm) and compare the D500 with the Fuji X-Pro 2 which does not suffer from EVF blackness.

Added bonus on the X-Pro 2 is the one button ISO/shutter speed dial, like on the Nikon FM series cameras.
A disadvantage becomes an advantage, at longer focal lengths, I still get to use the EVF, but at shorter ones, I can actually view through the OVF without switching on the camera, saving quite a bit of battery life (I constantly view life through the viewfinder of at least one of my cameras)
Buddy

Daniel Bliss

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2017, 02:10:58 »
I think I'd have real trouble with any rangefinder because of the degree to which lenses obstruct the bottom right corner of the optical viewfinder.  Had my hands briefly on an X-Pro2 last weekend and that was the first thing I noticed--and that's with a longer standoff between the rangefinder and the lens mount than you see on Leica M.  Pity because it's light and it fits in the hands....probably be OK with 50mm and longer though.  But with the 28 with which I tried it out, it was annoying.

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2017, 15:30:37 »
Daniel, I just had a look at the lens dimensions on Fuji native lenses vs. the lenses I expect to use with the OVF and to my surprise, even with an apapter, the lens with the widest girth, the 55mm f1,2 Nikkor-S.C, appears to be close to identical in dimensions, so I guess the only worry will be the 20mm UD Nikkor which has a 72mm filter thread. Having to rely on EVF for that lens would be something I would survive though, and the EVF would have to be used for anything longer then the 55mm anyways. Again, no big loss there for what I intend to use the camera for.

I will however bring the lenses I expect to cause problems on to the store when comparing X-T2, X-Pro2 and D500 against each other.
Buddy

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2017, 15:58:51 »
If you want to test the D500 extensively, feel free to meet me for a photo tour.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2017, 00:11:16 »
Frank, there is an offer I can't refuse. We only need to decide where and when, but I would be up for that idea alright
Buddy

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2017, 08:02:59 »
Let's talk about it on the phone later today

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2017, 00:16:17 »
Apologies Frank, I just read your reply right now. Been on the road all day, had a spontanious photo assignment and a bunch of other stuff to do. Can I give you a ring tomorrow?
Buddy

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2017, 04:48:54 »
Apologies Frank, I just read your reply right now. Been on the road all day, had a spontanious photo assignment and a bunch of other stuff to do. Can I give you a ring tomorrow?

Just call me and we will meet

Viv

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2017, 10:24:53 »
Choosing a camera is a very individual matter, involving such intangible factors as feel and aesthetics as well as technical aspects.

I went from Nikon D700 to Fuji XT-1 and am happy with the Fuji system. The Fuji lenses are very good.

BruceJ

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2017, 04:06:41 »
My 2 cents worth..i have Nikons D4s , D810 and D500 . i had a D800 and the D4s previous to the d500 and 810..sold the d800 and bought the xt2 with 56mm f1.2 apd ,16mm f1.4 and 35mm f2 . Its taken me a year to get to love the xt2 and its quirks, some discussed here, the lenses are great, the weight is not too diff to the d500 and small prime, i travelled extensively in europe and Arctic , this year ,with all but D4s(thats a beast) with my 600mm FL4 and 200mm f2 and a couple of other nikon/sigma lenses..i used all to cover the eclectic work i do, street, landscape, wildlife and festivals. I had about 15kg of gear to hike , lug and negotiate through airports. Im going on 50 yrs old, so im no young buck able to leap tall buildings etc... so it was a strain at times..im heading to SE Asia for a month and guess whos staying home? the xt2! I cant seem to justify her (apart from low weight and light capabilities for street work)when i get same from my Nikons at the flick of a button...not going to go into details of pixels and lens stats..i have pin sharp zeiss and nikon lenses, although fuji colours are delicious. :) comes down to what you want, and how you wish to get it! The fuji x pro 2 looks nice..;)