Author Topic: Photographers/Journalists & Their Nikons/Nikkors  (Read 16681 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Photographers/Journalists & Their Nikons/Nikkors
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2017, 14:00:56 »
While that maybe true for lenses; think about the cameras of the past.
You can't mount one of Nikon's modern lenses on many of the now redundant cameras and have even basic functionality.

While this is true I don't see a need to use a modern E type Nikkor lens on my F5 or F100. What is important to me is my Nikkor lenses back to those I bought in 1978 are compatible with my Nikon D800 that I bought in 2014. That's 36 years of lens to camera compatibility. I also own a 50/1.4 Nikkor-S and 135/3.5 Nikkor-Q with factory AI kits that were made in about 1969 and 1971 and these are also compatible with my Nikon D800. That's 45 and 43 years of lens to camera compatibility. Nikkor lenses made all the way back to 1959 can be adapted to my D800. That's 55 years of compatibility.

Going the other way I can use all of my Nikkor lenses excepting my latest three G type lenses on my Nikon F2As. That's 22~27 years of compatibility and perhaps a few more.

I'll note here that I haven't processed a single roll of film since I bought my first dSLR back in 2005. I'd like to shoot an occasional roll of 400 ISO B&W film in my Nikon F3 and make a few prints but my darkroom lacks sewer line so that hasn't happened. I will probably never shoot another roll of color film although I have a full color darkroom with two 4x5" enlargers.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Daniel Bliss

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2017, 15:54:37 »
The basic facet of Nikon--that all lenses of the past are compatible with their current bodies (well, at least the full-frame ones and the one DX one with AI)--is a good one, but that also leaves us without a single film body that supports E lenses.  I, for one, would like that capability.  How about an F100E or F6E?  That's all they need to do, put the E circuit on an otherwise unaltered body.  It's not too awkward with the 300 because that gets used on maximum aperture a lot anyway but for anything you might want to stop down, it's a non-starter.  With Canon, by contrast, you can take any of their film bodies and use any EF lens and it will work at any setting, the only limitation being the restriction of IS to cameras with multiple sensors for it.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2017, 19:18:08 »
There is a simple work-around, so you can indeed use say the 300 PF on an F2 with the lens at f/8 or any other aperature ... (I have tried).

Agree a dedicated 'E' version of the latest film-based camera model(s) would make the use of 'E' lenses simpler, though.

David Franks

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2017, 11:05:33 »
You can't see it, but trust me my D7200 w/ 16-80mm f/2.3-4 DX lens is in my right hand. Taken yesterday as I was about to up in this T-28B Trojan for some fun.

lyndon.photo

• NG Member
  • Old Nikons keep me poor and the wife unhappy...
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2017, 09:18:17 »
Ive got a real soft spot for press cameras that have done the hard yards.

Found this little gem on eBay a while back, and couldn't resist it.

For me this represents the beginning of Nikon growing into the 35mm press camera of choice around the world. (Its a crying shame they squandered that legacy....)

A black SP bought new by a Toledo Blade (Ohio) newspaper photographer Herral Long. Herral apparently used and treasured it until his death a few years ago.

Cheers, Lyndon

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2017, 06:56:08 »
A fine camera, made more attractive by the wear and tear.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA