Author Topic: Street emotions  (Read 1110 times)

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
Street emotions
« on: April 16, 2017, 20:01:22 »
1. unhappy / careless

2. happy as her puppy

3. fun

4. conflict

5. love

6. ??
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Street emotions
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 22:29:40 »
Great combination of the interesting theme and the execution.  Love #3.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 23:19:42 »
Nice and varied set, real street life.

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 01:29:47 »
great theme and execution of a set of street images. Also like the captions - that's half the fun. Enjoyed viewing these - nice work

Not sure about the caption to #1. Mongo was thinking more along the lines of "cruz'n for a bruis'n" or "knee capers for hire".......... ;D

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 05:23:10 »
Armando, +1 to what the others have said.  Lovely set of B&W street images.

The little Nikon 1 V1 is proving to be a very useful stealth camera in your most capable hands.  :)
Hugh Gunn

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 06:01:27 »
Love'em Armando.  Looks fun with the V1.  I have not gone that small yet but the Pen F w/ small prime is getting closer  :) .  Always like B&W Street.
All the best
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 11:59:47 »
Catching emotions is as difficult if not more than catching magic. Great work.

I specially like the 3# with the theme and lines, busy happy frame etc...

4# has an strange noise pattern in the blacks in my monitor?

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 19:28:25 »
Thanks for the comments, really appreciate you taking the time to write something

Noise in the darks of #4 is likely due to my processing , and it is also cropped, I'll see if I can improve it.

The V1 , is small, but that is about the only advantage

Fast shooting becomes a frustrating experience

The V1 for street shooting I use it in shutter priority, auto ISO , matrix metering, area auto focus
Even when using an f1.8 lens, sufficient to use 1/500 at ISO 100, it will choose to close the aperture to F4 and increase the ISO , which then means dealing with noise, I could set  to manual 1/500 f1.8 auto ISO, but since I'm walking in an area with many changes in light and shadows quickly often I can get overexposure

If the camera goes to sleep it takes for ever to wake up and once it is working it takes time to get focus, all of this time my finger is pressing the shutter with no results.

An alternative is to shoot in manual focus, and use say F4, I have to see if this works, I think I have seen it change the focus to the closes possible distance after a power on/off cycle

At the slightest variation of ambient light the camera shuts down the rear screen, so , making adjustments quickly would mean bring the camera to your eye, look at the viewfinder and mess around with the buttons.

street shooting is a mix of stress and discovery, with the V1 it becomes more stress

People notice me with the V1, and the people that do not will not regardless of the camera, so , next time will be the D800 doing street shooting
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 21:15:01 »
A determining factor in choosing you aperture is the distance to your subject and the focal length of your lens,  or else just choose f8 which many street shooters seem to use.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 21:59:47 »
Interesting series, Armando.  #3 is great ! 

When ISO plays an important role in the quality of the image I would try to get it as low as possible and work with open aperture and get lucky with the shutter time. (Which should be OK in day light on the streets)

Personally I prefer the Df and D800 for street work. The viewfinder, ISO capability and quality of the lenses is guaranteed and that all gives a lot more flexibility in shooting and post.