Author Topic: When my Df dies, I will...  (Read 18618 times)

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
Re: When my Df dies, I will...
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2018, 08:49:33 »
Just ordered my first. After yet another European trip with the D810 I swore it would be the last. After toying with the idea of another Leica M (geez, I've only had 7!), I decided to go with the lightest FF Nikon - the Df and & in addition a 50 1.8 will replace my Zeiss 50 Marko And the combo will save about 600 hundred grams of ugly fat. The new Nikon diet :)

I hope you'll be happy with it  :) My usual MF lenses are the 50mm f/1.8 "long nose", the 28mm f/2.8 AI-S, the 85mm f/2 AI and the very nice 105mm f/2.5 AI-S.
While I do have and use AF lenses for some paid work, I find that I return to the MF lenses as soon as I can. Mostly for the small size but also for a "quality" of shooting and for the resulting images... ;)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2018, 13:28:37 »
I don't believe I could ever part with the 105 2.5 Ai Probably 60% of my shots in Portugal were taken with it. I don't find much difference between the Otus 55 and the 105 as far as sharpness goes. (Seriously). Maybe I just lucked out with my copy.
No, I'm not getting rid of the 50 Makro, just putting it on the shelf for other uses.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2018, 14:27:09 »
Well, I bought the Zeiss 135/2 and the 105/2.5 AIS the same day, and I came similar conclusions... then again, the Zeiss has a bigger (ans stellar) full aperture, is nearly APO, has somewhat better bokeh, and does close-ups.

But when in Portugal last year, the 105/2.5 (AI in the latter case) did 40 % of the shots, the 50/2 AI 42%, and the remaining 18% were done with the Tamron 45/1.8 (mostly night shots)...
Airy Magnien

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2018, 15:02:55 »
Just ordered my first. After yet another European trip with the D810 I swore it would be the last. After toying with the idea of another Leica M (geez, I've only had 7!), I decided to go with the lightest FF Nikon - the Df and & in addition a 50 1.8 will replace my Zeiss 50 Marko And the combo will save about 600 hundred grams of ugly fat. The new Nikon diet :)

John
I have travelled with my Df and AFS 50mm 1.8 on many occasions - again mainly for the size. The 50 1.8 is always surprising and there is a rendition, although not the hyper microcontrast of the Makro, that is pleasing especially at night.
The other lens which I may suggest is a good light travel companion is the sadly much maligned AFS 28mm 1.8 which is small and much lighter than the Zeiss 28mm. Microcontrast is again not as intense but has an always surprising aesthetic quality.

The other joy of using the Df is that it is a really nice camera to use - the shutter action is addictive. The sensor gives beautiful colours and is very forgiving with exposure errors. If only the autofocus was good. It is adequate becoming weak especially for run and gun night street photography.

28mm 1.8
JJ

pete

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2018, 20:05:09 »
I upgraded my D800e to the D850 and it is just awesome.  I use it with my modern telephoto lenses.  While the D850 is basically the DSLR of my dreams, I still mostly carry and use my Df and vintage glass for general shooting.  I like the small size, control layout and high ISO capability of the Df.  My kit/collection of vintage lenses has grown since I got the Df and many are still Non-AI so the Df is the only choice from Nikon.  I expect to use the Df for a long time and if it fails, I will replace it with another Df or hopefully Nikon has come out with the Df2 by then.  Reading this thread makes me want to get a spare Df just in case...
Pete

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2018, 05:00:44 »
Hi JJ, thanks for your response. When I travel I especially like to roam the streets at night grabbing a shot now and then. Then when I return home I turn them into bw's. I feel the Df with the 50 1.8 will be great for this. In the past I had to use the large and expensive 1.4 Leica's with relatively low ISO's. Now I feel I have a better chance of returning with more "keepers".
When I ordered the Df the ",special edition" lens was on back-order,but yesterday I was alerted it was back in stock again and I'm supposed to have mine Tuesday. Looking forward to putting it through it's paces.
I must say first impressions of the Df are very positive. I really had no idea how cool this camera is for an old fart like me!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2018, 07:23:03 »
Welcome to join the club. However it is difficult to part with the Zeiss 50/2. Currently I use the (even heavier, uglier, bulkier) Milvus version on Df. The 50/1.8G is nice though.

the 50g is nice, very nice for the price. Since I bought the 58g the 50g does not see much use though. The 58g is a tad on the bulky side but light weight 382g compared to 182 for the 50g and the aperture is 1.4 not 1.8. From my experience if I needed to chose a single lens for the Df I would go for the 58g or the 1.8/85g
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2018, 07:39:23 »
JJChan: great sensitive shots in #48!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2018, 17:47:01 »
the 50g is nice, very nice for the price. Since I bought the 58g the 50g does not see much use though. The 58g is a tad on the bulky side but light weight 382g compared to 182 for the 50g and the aperture is 1.4 not 1.8. From my experience if I needed to chose a single lens for the Df I would go for the 58g or the 1.8/85g
I would have gone for the 58 1.4, but I have a whole slew of 58mm filters for the 50 1.8.
And I certainly had a mental battle over choosing the 1.2...but same conclusion - no filters in the arsenal for that lens, either.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2018, 02:55:12 »
I would have gone for the 58 1.4, but I have a whole slew of 58mm filters for the 50 1.8.
And I certainly had a mental battle over choosing the 1.2...but same conclusion - no filters in the arsenal for that lens, either.

John, this is a little unexpected comment from you as image quality connoisseur.  Which filter(s) do you use most often?  I would understand when you use a protection filter in the dusty or splashy conditions.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2018, 05:32:07 »
Interestingly the idea of selling my Df has recently popped into my mind, never thought that would happen.   I have a few lenses that I use on the Df only, mostly MF.  The Df, 58 1.4G is my favourite along with 105 f2.5 Ais/Ai ,28  f2 Ai and 75-150 f3.5 Ais E..  I am happy using various adapted lenses with MF on the Sony bodies.  The real kicker is I love that Df sensor and the fact I can use CNX2.  A couple of years back I almost bought another Df.

I am happy with the D500 , with long lenses, for Sport and birds but I am shooting less of both.
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2018, 00:28:10 »
John, this is a little unexpected comment from you as image quality connoisseur.  Which filter(s) do you use most often?  I would understand when you use a protection filter in the dusty or splashy conditions.
Well, there 's the CP and I have ND's 3, 6, and 10 stop. Maybe a bit of overkill, but these were all used on a Rodenstock 70 HR-W on MF. I like choices :) I can even use the shutter release from MF on the Df! Kinda cool.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2018, 03:19:10 »
Well, there 's the CP and I have ND's 3, 6, and 10 stop. Maybe a bit of overkill, but these were all used on a Rodenstock 70 HR-W on MF. I like choices :)
I can even use the shutter release from MF on the Df! Kinda cool.

Thank you for the explanation.  That makes sense.  I think the cable release would offer much more comfort and far less frustration than the wifi/bluetooth control, especially that of Nikon!.   :o :o :o
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2018, 12:19:23 »
When my Df dies, I will... 1.st consider buying another one (this time a black version) _ and/or consider buying a Z7. For this decisionmaking the latter is also compact and lightweight but the Df has better support for non CPU lenses.
Wolfgang Rehm

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2018, 15:44:19 »
Nearly the same conclusion here. Another Df, or a Z6 (rather than 7). I am not afraid of stopped down metering. I never chipped any lens, reward is relatively small for my taste. Cleaning, lubrication and infinite point  calibration are much more important.
Airy Magnien