Author Topic: When my Df dies, I will...  (Read 18607 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
When my Df dies, I will...
« on: April 15, 2017, 07:41:44 »
... buy another used Df
... buy another new Df
... buy the successor to the Df
... resell about everything, get a Leica (digital) and a Summicron, and ascetically restrict myself to that unique angle of view and to that ridiculously long minimum focussing distance.

Ok, let's hope it won't happen that soon. I do not have any visibility on the Df "line", assuming there is a "line". With growing age, I'll need better focussing aids for sure, even though "statistical shooting" (three shots to ensure a sharp one) greatly helps.
Airy Magnien

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Re: When my Df dies, I will...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 07:53:21 »
My most used camera, the Df, and at twice the price of the D7500 a single SD slot in common :)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 07:58:23 »
My most used camera, the Df, and at twice the price of the D7500 a single SD slot in common :)

... and an F mount !
Airy Magnien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 08:42:41 »
I have already crashed one Df beyond even Erik's attempts of repair. Just bought another specimen of it. Probably get a spare one on top of that later. Or the successor if it arrives.

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 09:23:02 »
Mine is holding together so far and keep on giving me pictures every day. I wouldnt be suprised if it does that for a couple of more years. I will never outperform my Df, Im just not that good as a photographer. It is all I need from a camera. If there would never be another Df, I would make due with whatever low megapixel/high Iso camera they offer.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 09:26:19 »
Same here. However I'd seriously consider Sony mirrorless here, since they would handle my many MF lenses via a mechanical adapter. Too bad for the OVF pleasure, but at least I could further make sensible use of the legacy Nikkors. m43 makes my old Canon FDs sing, so why not...
Airy Magnien

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 11:03:49 »
My Df didn't die but I bought a D750 and I have to admit that the Df is being neglected ever since.
Børge is right, we rarely outperform today's cameras...
Next time I buy camera it will be making coffee  :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 11:29:58 »
I briefly tried the Sony A7 for my legacy 'S' lenses and gave up. Horrible contraption designed by people not knowing how photographers operate. The EVF was awful and contrary to claims wouldn't allow me to focus the Noct or 55/1.2 Nikkors with any degree of certainty. Actually I do much better with those lenses on the Df.

The distance from theory to practice can be very long.

For coffee, a dedicated coffee maker is to be preferred.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 11:35:37 »
I confess not having tried Sony EVFs so far. Your experience reduces my choices by one count then.
Airy Magnien

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 12:46:50 »
When will Nikon get off its ass and put a cell phone in a dSLR? The phone could be operated with voice commands with a Bluetooth headset. The cell phone wouldn't need any external controls on the camera. Maybe some features could be accessed with the touch screen. Dick Tracy has his wrist TV. Why can't I have a phone dSLR?

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 13:04:07 »
the question was rather related to after-Df, rather than after-DSLR in general
Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 13:35:48 »
I've used Olympus, Panasonic and Sony mirrorless cameras, and I can focus manually far better on them (EVF or LCD) than on any DSLRs I have used.  The bigger problems of EVF is, however, the strain on my eyes.

Currently my only solution is an optical finder with the focus aid...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 14:14:31 »
With the Noct especially, my only focus aid is Df + DK-17M. Focus confirmation point is useless (the neutral zone is just too wide). Most effective improvement would be eye surgery, to get rid of that goddam astigmatism on my right eye. Changing the focus screen would then become a secondary improvement, if at all needed.
Airy Magnien

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 14:48:08 »
I am waiting for the announced Df2, and see what it will be like (promising front wheel as some preliminary photos indicate), then decide wheter a Df2 or another Df (a black one then) is the replacement
Wolfgang Rehm

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 22:10:13 »
With the Noct especially, my only focus aid is Df + DK-17M. Focus confirmation point is useless (the neutral zone is just too wide). Most effective improvement would be eye surgery, to get rid of that goddam astigmatism on my right eye. Changing the focus screen would then become a secondary improvement, if at all needed.

The magnifier imposes another problem to me: the viewfinder image suffers from the vignetting.  I have used all of my D7000, D610 and the current D750 with the rubber eyepieces removed to get my eye as close to the ocular as possible.

The last (D)SLR with which I can focus comfortably was FM2 with E3 screen.  It was better than F3.  I figured that the mirror that let some portion of light through it to feed AF sensor or the metering sensor darken the finder image more considerably than I had imagined.  All DSLRs have such mirrors.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira