Author Topic: Walking with dinosaurs -one of the very first DSLR's  (Read 4035 times)

lyndon.photo

• NG Member
  • Old Nikons keep me poor and the wife unhappy...
Walking with dinosaurs -one of the very first DSLR's
« on: April 13, 2017, 18:07:20 »
G'Day,

been lurking for some time, and I think its time to step up to the plate and start sharing some stuff with fellow Nikon tragics.

I'm a Press Photographer in Australia, and to keep myself poor, and my wife unhappy, I collect Nikons (and press related photographic ephemera...)

I also think that sharing information and knowledge is critical to our joint interest.

So I thought I might start with sharing a new purchase which was exciting for me and also one of the very first digital cameras ever made.

A little history:

Jim McGarvey from Kodak had in 1988 created the very first DSLR in 1988 (yes he is actually the father of the modern digital camera...), a single "Electro-Optic Camera" based on a Canon F1 for a US Government customer.
In the same year he then built two "Tactical Camera EO" cameras for demonstration to government agencies. Again based on the Canon F1 body.

Sensibly changing to Nikon (well I would say that) for the base bodies Jim and his team then started taking the next serious steps towards developing a digital camera that could end up as a saleable commercial reality. The Hawkeye ii was that next step.

From what I understand the Hawkeye ii cameras were initially produced for use and testing by various American government agencies, ranging from the Defence forces through to Nasa and the CIA (among others).
In essence this small batch of cameras were effectively the prototypes for the Kodak DCS 100 cameras some 2 years later, the DCS 100 was effectively the first ever digital DSLR camera sold to the market.

I was extremely lucky to obtain a Kodak Hawkeye ii a few months ago. I didnt think I would ever get to see one let alone own one...

Essentially it was one of a batch of perhaps about 20 or so cameras that were created around 1989 by Jim McGarvey for Kodak.
Using an Nikon F3 as the body, with a removable digital back which in turn was connected (tethered) to a large processing and storage unit (usually hung on the shoulder...). Kodak made a bespoke motor drive to replace the MD4 which could wind and cock the shutter as well as perform other functions.

I purchased mine from a sports photographer near Washington DC, without the impossible (literally) to find storage unit (DSU).
And this is what he told me he knew about its history:

Years before he had been gifted it by a friend who worked at the FBI, who was not a photographer there, but whose boss knew
he liked cameras and passed on the now long redundant camera.

The sports photographer had it authenticated a good number of years ago by Eastman House, who at that time did not have an example of a Hawkeye ii at all.
At the time they made some serious noises about buying the unit for their own museum...but amazingly it was about this time that the box of old Kodak digital relics/machines was found just before they were due to be thrown out!
So the sports photog got to keep his camera.

Ive crossed referenced these details with emails I have seen from Jim McGarvey, and the timing etc all matches perfectly.
However Jim thought only the CIA/Military only got these special mono Hawkeye's, so its possible the sports photographer may have mis-remembered the FBI instead of CIA...

Initially I was worried that the sensor seemed too large and that I had bought some sort of "mash-up".

However with incredible helpfulness of Ron Volmershausen, and his contact with the legendary Jim McGarvey he discovered it is actually an even rarer version of the Hawkeye ii, a Mono M3 sensor version.

Until this camera popped up the only known image of it at all was a small photocopied B/W picture in an US Defence paper (again found by the amazing Ron Vol!!)

This is what Jim has said to Ron about this particular camera:

"A B&W M3 back is a rare one. The 9036 date code on the voltage regulator dates it pretty late in the HEII timeframe.
...it is likely a camera that was sold to the Gov't. and not a Kodak leftover. We made a couple of those for the CIA, as a follow up project to the EO camera."

"I knew the FBI tested some of the cameras, but I didn't remember that they had any with the M3 sensor. I've never come up with a good total number of tethered HEIIs. I usually say I think we made a few dozen, and that's pretty ambiguous!"

"The M3 sensor is the 16um, 1024 x 1280 sensor in the DCS camera. We put a couple of them in Hawkeye II's to test, before we built the DCS prototypes. M3 was the first color CCD we used, and I know we made a color HEII. I believe we made some HEII's with mono M3's as well, but I don't remember any specifics.  I remember distinctly the first M3 we tested had a rectangular 'cluster defect' that took out about 1/4 of the pixels.
Thanks for all the info. Those were exciting days.."

Cheers, Lyndon

Some pics of the old girl:

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
Re: Walking with dinosaurs -one of the very first DSLR's
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 21:08:50 »
Impressive story :)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 21:13:00 »
Hi, Lyndon, welcome to NG.

This is an amazing precursor of Leica Digital Module R.  Thanks for sharing!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 22:19:20 »
Fascinating story.  Thanks for posting it, and welcome to NG®.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 23:11:12 »
Fascinating historical item. Thanks for sharing it and its tale.

Netr

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 01:08:34 »
Thank you Lyndon. This is really interesting.

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 07:50:02 »
That is a great piece of work.

How very beautiful and looking forward to see the processor/storage pack and of course pictures.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 16:14:13 »
Wow, quite a first post on the forum ! Welcome to NG, very interesting story, thanks for sharing it

Seeing how the back of the camera is makes me wonder if it would be useful for modern cameras to have exchangeable sensors like this ?
Want hi res mount a d810 sensor
hi ISO and high speed ? mount a d5
cropped ? D500
etc etc

of course it would be hard to resolve all the buttons and functions that we take for granted today

and the bodies may also be selectable ....
with optical viewfinder
electronic viewfinder mirrorless

it is nice to dream ...
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Peter Forsell

• NG Member
  • A Cunning Linguist
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 17:24:27 »
Very interesting, thank you and welcome!  :)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 17:33:50 »
About two decades ago there was a product named 'Silicone Film' or something in that vein. Basically the same concept as shown here but more compact. Lots of promises about the future were put forward. Turned out to be snake oil and vapourware.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 19:34:04 »
Armando, ilke the way you dream!

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 00:39:08 »
thank you for posting.. very interesting.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 09:06:43 »
Impressive story and a very special find.

lyndon.photo

• NG Member
  • Old Nikons keep me poor and the wife unhappy...
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 16:48:55 »
Thanks everyone for your generous comments, I'm glad that it is of interest to you.

That is a great piece of work.

How very beautiful and looking forward to see the processor/storage pack and of course pictures.

Unfortunately Ethan, I don't think there is a working example in existence and I'm not even sure that there is a DSU (processor/storage pack) in the Eastman House collection....although I would truly love to be proven wrong!

Interestingly the "motor drive" is made from a solid billet of aluminium, its really quite heavy and feels like it could bring down a brick wall!

Cheers Lyndon

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 10:34:00 »
Wow, quite a first post on the forum ! Welcome to NG, very interesting story, thanks for sharing it

Seeing how the back of the camera is makes me wonder if it would be useful for modern cameras to have exchangeable sensors like this ?
Want hi res mount a d810 sensor
hi ISO and high speed ? mount a d5
cropped ? D500
etc etc

of course it would be hard to resolve all the buttons and functions that we take for granted today

and the bodies may also be selectable ....
with optical viewfinder
electronic viewfinder mirrorless

it is nice to dream ...
I've been having a similar dream, like a recurring nightmare, for about fifteen years! Only it's darker, sinister and leaves me with an unsettling feeling like an enveloping pall or an odor I can neither recognize or adequately wash away. ("You can't smell that?") It's always very much the same: I'm in a makeshift laboratory situated in a Bavarian dungeon. Some fruitcake named "Itchy" (yeah, I thought it was "Igor", too, but no) is shuffling along doing his earnest, to the effect of being the most incompetent individual I ever trusted a camera to -- but I'm getting ahead of the narrative. You may well have very much figured out where this is going: Out comes the Dremel® and re-purposed dental tools; there are bits and pieces of vulcanite and magnesium, or god knows what, all in a collection basin beneath the work bench ("operating table"?!); the peace, or pieces as it were, is suddenly interrupted by what sounds like the shriek of some hapless feline getting its tail stepped on, only its the same unrecognizable (and you'd think I knew by now) woman claiming to be my fiance. ("Yeah, yeah! Lady, you tell me the same thing every time I have this dream... ") Before me is what appears to be a Nikon FE being brutally violated by a Sony NEX, or something... It's sickening but I can't avert my eyes. I'm what's sickening! (Itchy is taking this all in and apparently having a blast.) At this point I feel my mouth moving and it's generally what rouses me from my slumber. (That's a good thing! I've had the occasion to be hit with brutal force when being summarily awaken from this dream.) At that moment I find myself sitting bolt upright and staring fitfully into the dark -- still not quite awake, or being threatened with eviction -- mumbling "It's alive! It's alive!" To be followed by the rejoinder: "And you won't be much longer, if you don't shut up and let me get some sleep! And who the hell is 'Dremel'? Some new bimbo at work!?!"