Author Topic: voigtlander factory  (Read 3849 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
voigtlander factory
« on: April 13, 2017, 10:08:42 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo3pCvYODI

in case anybody missed it  :o :o :o

please hire me so I can assemble helicoids all day in front of beautiful women  ::)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: voigtlander factory
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 10:27:36 »
As always, the demonstration of all those steps required to complete a lens is amazing. Early stages were labour intensive as well, not just the final assembly. The prevalence of white coats increased along the production line :D

I noticed they made the 180/4 APO-Lanthar. One member of the 'Trinity' kit (90, 125, 180). I had all of them with me on the recent Cretan trip. Are there  other members possessing the complete kit? I sincerely hope so as these lenses are pretty good performers.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 11:07:21 »
those lenses cost a lot nowadays here in Japan :o :o :o

they have quite a following for people who know what they are going into. pity it's not a Nikkor, I am a brandist  ::)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 11:15:09 »
They do come in F mount, you know ...

I immediately replaced the AFS Micro-Nikkor 105/2.8 G VR when I tested it against the Voigtländer [Cosina]  125 mm f/2.5 APO-Lanthar. The 125 APO very literally blew away the 105 Micro. I had only used that 105 Micro for a couple of months and felt it had shortcomings, but couldn't pin-point these until the 125 APO by a stroke of luck crossed my path.

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 12:50:10 »
Thank you for posting it.
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 14:42:30 »
I immediately replaced the AFS Micro-Nikkor 105/2.8 G VR when I tested it against the Voigtländer [Cosina]  125 mm f/2.5 APO-Lanthar. The 125 APO very literally blew away the 105 Micro. I had only used that 105 Micro for a couple of months and felt it had shortcomings, but couldn't pin-point these until the 125 APO by a stroke of luck crossed my path.
And we're still grateful for sharing that discovery :)

Its temping to sell my mint Canon EF copy for the premium prices they go for nowadays but it's one of those rare lenses which embodies the true spirit of photography for me. Just like the Nikkor 50/1.2 and Canon FD 85/1.2 btw which will also stay with me as long as I can use them.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 19:34:10 »

That only suggests how difficult to design a lens that covers all..IF, AF, VR, correction of CA and LoCA etc...  The dedicated manual design are free from these concerns.  There are obvious examples of the advantage of modern technology concentrating on the full manual focus design; from Leica M to Zeiss to Samyang.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 20:39:03 »
Some great footage on lensmaking and assembly especially on the 180mm f/4

I am quite fortunate to own all 3 APO Voigtländers, bought before prices went up high.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 20:48:37 »
They do come in F mount, you know ...

Yes but the 125 mm f/2.5 APO-Lanthar doesn't have AF-S or VR so it has its own drawbacks for some applications. I'd like both but I only own the AF-S 105/2.8G ED VR. If I'd been aware of the 125/2.5 a few years earlier I'd own a 125 mm f/2.5 APO-Lanthar now.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 02:54:54 »
I have the trio of Voitlanders, 90mm, 120mm, and 180mm. I had four 125s, mostly for Nikon, but one for Pentax. And I have had 4 90s, and still have three of them. All three are very good performers.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 04:08:42 »
I'd love to watch the making of a more complex element, such as the front of the 14-24mm f/2.8 zoom.
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 04:39:39 »
i am fine with manual lenses. i am just a Nikon snob  :o :o :o

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 06:50:53 »
Richard, this sounds rather naughty to me!!  ;) ;) ;)

please hire me so I can assemble helicoids all day in front of beautiful women  ::)
Hugh Gunn

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 07:36:36 »

Richard: Doctor. I have a severe case of helicoillitis.
Doctor: I will let the Nurses attend to you and give you a strong dose of Balkan 176 orally  8)

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 08:01:30 »
 :o :o :o