Author Topic: D7500 - Nikon gives and Nikon takes  (Read 41294 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: D7500 - Nikon gives and Nikon takes
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2017, 00:21:59 »
Not 'P' as in Ai-P or 'P'-type CPU. However, AFS/AF-P are all 'G' and the 'E'  is equivalent in terms of metering.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2017, 00:32:17 »
Not 'P' as in Ai-P or 'P'-type CPU. However, AFS/AF-P are all 'G' and the 'E'  is equivalent in terms of metering.

I meant AF-P as "P".  Apparently Nikon created another confusion by simplifying the compatibility.   :o :o :o
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2017, 01:10:23 »
I'm just talking about the plan of NHK.

Personally I would totally agree with Ilkka and Øivind.

I'm pretty much satisfied with the SD quality movies rented at iTunes Store viewed on my 19" computer monitor.

I saw a slide show of the images of various Nikon DSLRs, from D200 to D810 at the Nikon Showroom in Shinjuku shown on a 4K display.  The "lowly" D200 image looked no inferior to those from D810 in terms of resolution.  Yes, 4k is a 8MP image which is still outperformed by the 10MP D200.

So far as the quality of still image on a display is concerned, the bit depth may be more important.  I'm not sure if the professional 10bit 4:2:2 is adequate for stills.

And a good thing that is, since the "lowly" D200 is my only DSLR.  ;)

I have been looking at the D300/D300s for the better viewfinder, AF, etc. More likely I'd go with the D300s to get away from CF cards and into the more readily available SDs, and for the S model's other upgrades. I don't normally print large enough to require 24-36 MPs. Not only that, but if I move up to a model with more MPs then I would have to look at upgrading a couple of lenses too, plus deal with the larger file sizes.

I've got a pro friend that shoots with 36 MPs, but he prints large, and has work hanging in museums and private collections, while my stuff just generally collects dust!  ;D
Carl

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2017, 01:42:50 »

I have been looking at the D300/D300s for the better viewfinder, AF, etc. More likely I'd go with the D300s to get away from CF cards and into the more readily available SDs, and for the S model's other upgrades. I don't normally print large enough to require 24-36 MPs. Not only that, but if I move up to a model with more MPs then I would have to look at upgrading a couple of lenses too, plus deal with the larger file sizes.

I moved from D200 to Df and am very happy with it. No need to upgrade old lenses.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2017, 02:34:57 »
First 4K video is a yawner for me because I don't care about video, I'm a still shooter. I'll trade the video capabilities for non-cpu metering, which appears to be a very generous offer on my part.  ;D

I would think many dabble with video who might buy a microphone and not much more. They might shoot home movies and edit a bit with free Nikon software. These will want the video feature. I think today leaving video off most models would be a major error.

Dave who needs a focus puller. ;)
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2017, 04:09:32 »

I've got a pro friend that shoots with 36 MPs, but he prints large, and has work hanging in museums and private collections, while my stuff just generally collects dust!  ;D

Carl, you could then even skip D300/s unless your D200 fails.  I enjoyed the characteristic look of CCD even on the 4k screen that I mentioned.

As I often do panos, the 24MP files are burdensome.  I'm looking at a 28 or 35mm prime to use the 16MP 1.2x crop mode of D750.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2017, 05:36:01 »
Carl, you could then even skip D300/s unless your D200 fails.  I enjoyed the characteristic look of CCD even on the 4k screen that I mentioned.

As I often do panos, the 24MP files are burdensome.  I'm looking at a 28 or 35mm prime to use the 16MP 1.2x crop mode of D750.

Well, I have been skipping the D300 for several years now!  ;)

However, it is the body that I wanted the D200 to be, so I may get one yet. As for 4K, yeah it's good for displaying still shots, I have a friend that bought a 52" to display his D7200 work on inhis living room. The shots go to the 4K TV  from one his Macs via a Raspberry Pi on a rotating basis. But, I'm with Ilkka on the 4K video stuff, not enough difference between that and a decent HDTV to matter, AFAIC. The difference that is  is easy to see is when you get HDR, and better color management can make a visual difference too. Of course all of the new models are going to be 4K, like it or not. I watch TV for content, and if that's good, I'm not paying that much attention to IQ.

Carl

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2017, 07:07:15 »

Carl,

Don't sell yourself short: your work may not hang in museums but I've seen it over the years and I've enjoyed it.

I think a 16MP camera would be a better choice. The D300s is pretty nice but 12MP isn't much of a step up. 36MP was more than I wanted but I wanted the control set of the D300s with image sensor of the D4s but I couldn't have it. You might consider the Df as many here really like it. You might also consider the D700. It's the FX version of the D300 if you will. Anyway l recommend an FX camera for wide angle lenses and background rendition.

Dave

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2017, 18:20:01 »
Carl,

Don't sell yourself short: your work may not hang in museums but I've seen it over the years and I've enjoyed it.

I think a 16MP camera would be a better choice. The D300s is pretty nice but 12MP isn't much of a step up. 36MP was more than I wanted but I wanted the control set of the D300s with image sensor of the D4s but I couldn't have it. You might consider the Df as many here really like it. You might also consider the D700. It's the FX version of the D300 if you will. Anyway l recommend an FX camera for wide angle lenses and background rendition.

Dave

The D300/300s provide the upgrades that interest me while not creating much larger files than my D200. For wide stuff I can get down to 18mm with my 12-24, although it's better at the 36mm long end. I've also had decent results from my 18-200 that would not serve as well mounted on a higher MP model. As I understand it some 18-200 copies were better than others, and I got a good one, as far as that type of lens goes. At 20 MPs and beyond my 12-24 f/4 would not be looking so great either.

FX is nice, but to get a body comparable to a D300/300s the costs are prohibitive for me. I prefer the size of the D300/300s over the D700, not to mention other differences.
Carl

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2017, 22:06:33 »
I meant AF-P as "P".  Apparently Nikon created another confusion by simplifying the compatibility.   :o :o :o

So you are not meaning "Series E" lenses ;-)
Just increasing the confusion
Wolfgang Rehm

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2017, 22:16:20 »
Series E lenses are Nikon not Nikkor .... They are AIS though.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2017, 22:18:03 »
So you are not meaning "Series E" lenses ;-)
Just increasing the confusion

Hope Nikon won't release another K...

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2017, 22:26:33 »
Series E lenses are Nikon not Nikkor .... They are AIS though.
I know, I was just kidding
Wolfgang Rehm

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2017, 08:27:40 »
To make clear what type of lens one is referring to it's best to use the "term" as Nikon uses it: AF-P for a lens that focuses with a stepper motor and AI-P for a manual focus lens with a CPU.

I try to use Nikon's terms when writing as one must use them if doing an advanced search in Adobe Reader on a Nikon PDF user guide. It helps me when I search and I hope this helps others when they search. As an example searching for "slave" in the SB-800 manual got me zero hits. The term Nikon used in that manual was "remote." Unlike Google, Adobe Reader doesn't try to read your mind, "Did you mean..." Google search is my spelling checker off choice due to this feature.

Dave Hartman

Asle F

• NG Member
  • Hovet, Norway
    • Fjell og foto, my mountain and photo blog in Norwegian
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2017, 09:55:40 »
To make clear what type of lens one is referring to it's best to use the "term" as Nikon uses it: AF-P for a lens that focuses with a stepper motor and AI-P for a manual focus lens with a CPU.

P is also used before the cpu-age as in Nikkor-P, where the P is just telling there are 5 elements.

S is used in the same combinations, Nikkor-S, AI-S and AF-S

PC also means two very different things in PC-Nikkor and Nikkor-P·C
There is no illusion, it just looks that way.