Author Topic: Mad about being for sale - taking it out on his friend Butler!  (Read 1283 times)

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
I drove by this site about a week ago, and thought, it was a really odd scene, so made a point of stopping this time.

I have no idea what is going on here, but it was just too strange to not capture. Tried a black and white version as well, works that way as well.

Advice and comments about possible treatments, processing options, appreciated.

D5000  18-70mm 

Thanks

Randy

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Re: Mad about being for sale - taking it out on his friend Butler!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 08:02:15 »
Randy its a great capture. I don't want to take anything anyway - but rather add. If you can - also post a wider shot? Just so one puts it a bit more in context? As said - I like the shot and I am also usually partial to close ups, so it does work for me.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 08:33:26 »
I feel the wheeled loader is holding the structure in place that would otherwise be blown away in the wind????
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 08:45:27 »
I would guess the tank is headed for demolition. The earth mover being for sale I'd guess this is a example of what it can do. A piece of equipment like that could come in handy for knocking down a small building like a house or rural bank or hardware store.

I have a cousin who's in demolition. He owns an excavator with various munching attachments​. He has a jackhammer for it that's​ maybe 8 feet tall. He also has a Sterling with a 10 ton crane. Some people have all the fun!

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 08:45:46 »
It shows how hot the D500 sensor is maybe too hot, times i return to the Df or any other previous model.

Nice image.

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 08:54:15 »
Randy, Mongo agrees that a wider view might help significantly with context and possible treatment of the image per se. The instant thought was that the dozer was knocking over an old and no longer needed remnant of a bygone era to make way for something newer ??

The image as is, needs some more drama and interest. Mongo is no fan of particular "filters" used in post processing but admits there are maybe a handful that may sometimes be partly useful. That , combined with the feeling of something "old" in the image have given rise to this quick edit (which Mongo hopes you do not mind) as a starting point to promote other better ideas about what can be done to answer your question. Again, a wider view/context may spur better and more accurate ideas about what is going on there and how best to represent it.

Cheers

Mongo

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 14:36:54 »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and observations.

Fons - this was taken with my old D5000 ,  not my D500. 

In post processing, I really pushed the clarity slider and contrast up a lot, giving it the  look you see.   

Mongo:  I always appreciate different takes, and reposts.  I did use Silver Efex Pro and ran the gamut of B&W options.  Some were very interesting, as you have shown. 

Elsa:  The wider context is pretty boring, with flat fields, and a distant house on the right.   So, I cropped tight, as this "exchange " was the story, at least to my eyes.

David:  I think it was a demolition, as you stated, but it has been there for a number of weeks in this same  'pose'.  It struck me like a Tonka truck commercial where the  vehicle has been having a really bad day.

Thanks again.

Randy