Author Topic: Nikonos Nikkor 28 f3.5 above water use. focus adjustments  (Read 1262 times)

spanielman

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Still Life Photography by: Daniel Steinhauer
One of the things i enjoy about this group is the unconventional use of just about anything. Thus I pass this question. use of the 28 3.5 above water. it is an underwater only lens. I have one and I would like to use it above water just because. I have been experimenting with the shutter locked open at about 1 meter at f8 on a nikon f focus screen in the rear. It looks pretty good but my aged eyes and the small screen don't help. Really i just want to use this as a point and shoot on my nikonos bodies for around town parties and the like, just a fun shooter. Additionally use of this lens with the close up attachment and framer above water any thoughts. Thank to the group. Dan Steinhauer

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Nikonos Nikkor 28 f3.5 above water use. focus adjustments
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 21:59:42 »
This is doable, but not recommended if a minimum of image quality is required. You stand a risk of wasting your film. The close-up kit with the dedicated "macro" close-up lens is designed for underwater use only.

The 35 mm f/2.5 is easy available, cheaper, and does well in air. In my view actually better than under water.

There is also the 80 mm f/4 that delivers even better quality for in-air images, if you are able to guestimate the focus setting.

While it is true that experimenting outside the preset limits is commendable, there is nothing wrong in accepting the basic facts either.

spanielman

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Still Life Photography by: Daniel Steinhauer
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 22:21:20 »
Thanks Bjorn, I own all the lenses for the system and I use a pocket rangefinder with the 80. Funny how we make things hard on ourselves at times! ;)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 09:51:45 »
i have a book here that outlines how he made his work with the F-mount  :o :o :o

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 19:06:17 »
I still have this lens, still attached, last time I looked, to a Calypso body, though it's not been used in  over thirty years!  I recorded the start and conclusion of each dive, all above surface pix, knowing it was a sub-surface lens, and the "slides" were perfectly satisfactory for the intended purpose.