Author Topic: Purchasing advice: Which GPS for Nikon D3  (Read 5049 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Purchasing advice: Which GPS for Nikon D3
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 01:11:27 »
Thank you, Arthur, for your helpful writeups. I cannot wait for the newer crowd funding version. I guess the system needs to be up and running in 14 days.

Which means I need a bt GPS device compatible to the D3 EXIF writing and preferrably repeating the last known position as long as we are indoors.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 01:59:23 »
The Foolography unit should fill that order, Frank. It repeats the last position for 30 minutes at least if the satellite fix is broken.

The manufacturer is located in Berlin so why not give him a call? Give my regards to the head of Foolography, Mr. Oliver Perialis. A very nice guy whom I have met several times, last at Photokina (Cologne) in 2016.

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 09:57:29 »
My understanding was that Nikon's image authentication was compromised a few years ago, and that is why they did not put it in newer cameras any more.

If that is true, you may want to use a different method. But maybe you have researched this and I am wrong. Just make sure that your solution is actually legally bulletproof.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2017, 10:44:03 »
Thank you all. You are so kind to share your knowledge
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 10:51:11 »
But the software is still available for purchase on the Nikon Website

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2017, 12:55:06 »
Frank, upon thinking about the evidentiary uses that you will be using your D3 for once you get it GPS equipped, do make sure that your GPS unit is one of those that can pass on the bearing of the camera as well as the coordinates, height and time. 

The bearing information helps establish the direction that the camera is being pointed in when the image was recorded. 

For example my Holux M-241 GPS doesn't pass on the bearing information, even though my cameras and the foolography and AOKA bluetooth units that I have can deal with the heading information.  The GPS units that you need for the bearing information are those that clip onto the flash bracket.
Hugh Gunn

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 20:25:07 »
My Aokatec AK-G1s(for all/most 10-pin cams) mounts in the 10-pin socket of the D800, and provides heading('bearing') as well as the other standard GPS info.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA