Author Topic: Focusing screen Nikon D800E-manual focus  (Read 8047 times)

christeo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • CHrister Hoel Olsen foto
Focusing screen Nikon D800E-manual focus
« on: April 02, 2017, 21:11:32 »
I own a D800E and have some manual focus lenses (AIS 28 F2,8, Zeiss 100 f/2 and 21 f/2.8 and a Rodenstock). I consider changing the focusing screen.

Is this a good option? A grainy S-type screen. Is this precise enough and is it too dark?
https://www.focusingscreen.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_130&products_id=1213&osCsid=8b08ae6541e87512fce0236ac6529d74

Or is the K3 focusing screen a better choice? Is this grainier outside the split screen than the standard focusing screen?
https://www.focusingscreen.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_130&products_id=1353&osCsid=8b08ae6541e87512fce0236ac6529d74

And will this have influence on the AF use? I am primarily a AF-user, but also want to focus more precisely with manual focus. I have only one Nikon-body.

Any experience with this?
Thank you.
Christer Hoel Olsen, Norway

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Focusing screen Nikon D800E-manual focus
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 21:51:20 »
I have the K-3 in my Df. Works perfectly.

No idea about the D800/800E, except the standard screen isn't very suited for manual focusing and the same can be said for the Liveview functionality.

christeo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 22:26:44 »
I have the K-3 in my Df. Works perfectly.

No idea about the D800/800E, except the standard screen isn't very suited for manual focusing and the same can be said for the Liveview functionality.

Thanks Bjørn!
The results when using manual focus are a bit random. I use focus confirmation, but it is not quick and precise at f/2... :)
K3 screen looks like a great option!

Christer

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 23:13:21 »
My experience with the Canon derived S-Screen (on a D7100) is that it was much darker than the screen derived from the FM3a that I swapped it for. The S-screen had a very realistic rendition of out of focus areas, a little more so than the all matte Nikon derived Katzeye  I swapped it for, so no complaints in that respect.
Øivind Tøien

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 02:40:58 »
I once installed a F.S.com Canon S screen in my D800.  The calibration was off, so it would have needed-and hopefully been cured by- the supplied polyester shims.  I elected not to keep it installed, due to my not wanting to play the Shell Game Of Focusing Errors (especially with plastic shims,) plus the fact that I had visibly scratched it during installation. I never got as far as checking if it made a difference with exposure or AF. 
I can tell you that that screen was not visibly course grained in the manner of, say, a F3 or F2/F screen.
If FS.com offered a B screen from the FM-3a I'd try the swap again, but I dislike the split image/microprism gimmick in the center of the K screen.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 04:08:02 »
http://richardhaw.com/2016/09/11/mod-nikon-df-split-prism/

this is my adventure with the K3 screen on the Df. Still installed on the Df. :o :o :o

christeo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 13:18:51 »
Thanks for replies everybody. Seems like the K3 screen is the safest way to go here..

Christer

mysh

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 08:06:45 »
I would love to install a after market focus screen in my D810 but I am concerned with the install. Has anyone done this on a D800 or D810? Is there anywhere I can get it done instead of doing it myself?

I work on and repair the nikon manual lenses but I just get nervous working on the camera

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 15:25:02 »
Christer
I have written about it before and will try to get a better in camera shot of the K3 screen from focusingscreen.com

Mine was easy to do in the D800E and makes a big difference when using manual focus lenses. It is brighter than the K2 screen from my FE2 and doesn't darken much (slowest lens that I can find is f5.6 and no real change). My FE2 screen will darken in wrong light with f4 lenses.

My focus was perfect straight away and did not require any more than the one shim already there. I have not noticed massive difference in metering even with spot

The story was much different with my Df which was a serious pain. I juggled the shims to and fro about 20 times and subsequently scratched the top part of the screen in the many adjustments. It needed the 3 metal shims and a plastic shim (that comes with the kit) to be just right. It too is an indispensable part of my photography. I did change it out but pretty much went back after about a week. It really does make a difference with focus for manual lenses - even at 24mm (my widest manual).

I like the split screen/prism but I started photography with Pentax Spotmatic and Nikon FE2/FM2. I recently used a friends F3 which has E screen and found it very very hard to trust that anything was in focus without the confirmation dot OR split prism coincidence.

It is not too expensive and I certainly would give it a go. It will sadly make you buy many more manual lenses....

YMMV
JJ

Asle F

• NG Member
  • Hovet, Norway
    • Fjell og foto, my mountain and photo blog in Norwegian
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 16:48:30 »
I like micro prism, and I have never liked split prism, so I use Ec-A from focusingscreen.com in my cameras (D300/D700 and D800e). In my D1X I used the K2 screen from my old FA. I have changed all of them myself, without any problem.
There is no illusion, it just looks that way.

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 18:32:02 »
Can anyone tell me what modifications have been made to the K-3 screen from focusingscreen.com to make it fit in a D800?

I'm curious if I can get an original K-3 and work it out myself.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 02:45:24 »
https://richardhaw.com/2016/09/11/mod-nikon-df-split-prism/

this is what me and some other members here did on our Df  :o :o :o

not saying that it is going to be similar for you on the D800, just take a look and see what you can get from this

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 03:20:49 »
How good is the matte surface of the K3 screen for manual focus? My default screen the FM2n, FE2 and F5 was the E screen. I used an E screen with my D2H also. I think I'd want the B3 screen for a B800.

Is the K3 screen as easy to focus on the matte surface as the K2? I've never use any of the type 3 screens.

Thank You,

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 04:34:37 »
depends. split prisms like the K can be useless when you have a slow lens. a coarse matte is probably best for that  :o :o :o

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 07:25:26 »
https://richardhaw.com/2016/09/11/mod-nikon-df-split-prism/

this is what me and some other members here did on our Df  :o :o :o

not saying that it is going to be similar for you on the D800, just take a look and see what you can get from this

I read this earlier today which is what brought me back here asking about the D800  ;)

I have an FM2a with a K2 screen, it seems the K2 is the same size as the K3 so I suppose I could pull it out and compare it to the D800 screen to see what would need to be done to it. I was just hoping someone already knew if the D800 screen was longer, shorter, etc. I'm guessing it would need to be lengthened like Lloyd did on your blog.

How good is the matte surface of the K3 screen for manual focus? My default screen the FM2n, FE2 and F5 was the E screen. I used an E screen with my D2H also. I think I'd want the B3 screen for a B800.

Is the K3 screen as easy to focus on the matte surface as the K2? I've never use any of the type 3 screens.

Thank You,

Dave Hartman

Just today I read somewhere that the K3 is a brighter version of the K2, the K2 having a more coarse matte surface.