Author Topic: My First Impressions of the Hasselblad X1D  (Read 3448 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
My First Impressions of the Hasselblad X1D
« on: March 31, 2017, 01:59:15 »
Since it might be fun to hear some first thoughts on encountering the X1D, here goes. I am using the X1D and the 90mm, as regards how it relates to my personal workflow, which is all about close-ups, stacking, and mini-dioramas/landscapes. At first feel, I can say that the haptics are better than any camera I have ever used. Indeed, it is very elegant. It’s not too heavy and not too light, not too big and not too tiny. And it looks smaller than it feels when you pick it up.

I have been using Nikon digitals pretty much since the beginning. I still have my first DSLR, the mighty 6 Mpx Nikon D1x, which cost me $5K. And all these years I have always had to tweak the color for this or that color cast. There are a lot of reasons why I find the X1D just the camera I need, but right up there near the tip of the top is the color. Right now I am shooting raw (of course) and developing using Adobe ACR with a sensor profile custom-created by Ming Thein. Even without his profile, the color is almost good-to-go. If I add the profile, there is just a gentle settling into even more delicate color. This makes the image color superb as far as I can see and much better than what I’m used to. What a treat after years of tweaking!

Although the lens I am using (90mm XCD) is not as sharp as my Otus lenses, it is quite sharp enough. Moreover, the total style or impact of the combination of color, sharpness, delicateness of color, etc. is better than what I can achieve with my beloved Nikon D810.

As mentioned, I am not used to being treated to such pure corrected color, much less not having the guess work or attempts to remember what a particular shoot was supposed to look like. This alone would endear me to any camera.

I have taken enough close-up photos at this point to confirm to myself that getting the X1D was a great decision on my part. There is no doubt in my mind that the color that comes out of this camera is much closer to reality than I get from my Nikon D810. Much better.
I am amazed at how little post color-work has to be done with the X1D images.

And I (thanks to some help here) managed to wrestle myself into being able to get a little of what I want out of the camera today. I did some focus-stacking with the X1D and results are very promising, especially what I call “short stacks, stacks of.4-5 layers. But shining through that is the simple fact that with the X1D, a single shot, with some preparation on my part, is so good that I may not need to stack all that much. I wonder what I will do with all the time I’ll save.

The BLACKS are not as good IMO as those in the D810 (ISO 64), but they are just fine. What so far is most amazing to me is the roll-off for the WHITES/highlights. There is (much like a long focus-throw, to use an analogy) a very wide bandwidth to pull down the highlights, much better than the D810, IMO. Much better. This is good news because harsh highlights are hard to “make pretty.” In fact, this is VERY good news for my work.

And the sharpness (90mm lens) is fine, good enough to satisfy my demands, which was a big worry for me. And the color is as I like it, gentle, not too saturated and with no trace of the HDR look about it.

In short, I have satisfied my worst fears and doubt that I will be sending it back, as I have many other systems, except the Nikon D810. It has some quirks and some things that I just can’t like at all (like the lack of a 4-way controller), but I tell myself to be grateful and heaven knows I am used to suffering all kinds of bad design for the sake of a good image. And the X1D has that, and even better than I could have hoped.

I will perhaps have more notes in a few days.

Just a quick shot with the X1D and the 90mm. The background variation is just a wrinkled black velvet drape, so ignore that.  Hopefully more images soon. I returned my Fuji GFX.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: My First Impressions of the Hasselblad X1D
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 02:06:02 »
So, the first not-so-positive impressions improved on better acquaintance?? Probably not the first time in history something similar has happened to any of us :D

Looking forward to learning more of your experiences with the new 'blad.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 02:17:35 »
So, the first not-so-positive impressions improved on better acquaintance?? Probably not the first time in history something similar has happened to any of us :D

Looking forward to learning more of your experiences with the new 'blad.

Well, as luck (and stupidity) would have it, I was taking the reports of others who had the camera for facts, without having one myself. The Fuju GFX I thought was the solution, but as it turned out, it was effectively an extension of my D810, but (and here is the heartbreak) not really an improvement. The main drawbacks (for me) mind you (I am sure it will work fine for others) was that the released Fuji lenses were in no way good enough IMO to use. AND, the adapter that allowed me to use the Otus/Nikkor fine lenses, for some reason, did not result in an improvement -- a shock. I can't help but "think" that Fuji took what they learned from their mirrorless cameras, added a larger sensor, and IMO failed to blow us away with incredible lenses. Whatever. I don't mean to put the GFX down and it is getting rave reviews, but for me, not what I need.

The X1D, once in my hands, showed me that it is (again, for me, mind you) the future I have been looking for. It can't replace my Nikon because it has no way to mount any non-leaf lenses at this point. So I have now TWO different systems, one to do what I have always done, and I will continue and one to do something new: landscapes, one-shot photos, and (heaven forbid!) people. I don't see the X1D and the D810 as competitors, just "horses for courses."

I must say I am shocked at the quality of the color of the Hasselblad. Where has that been all my life?

You get the idea: I like it.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Jack of all trades

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 03:50:40 »
It is a lovely picture.

chambeshi

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 18:30:36 »
See the latest review of the 'blad X1D here: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/hasselblad-x1d-50c

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 20:20:10 »
You really get me thinking. How can the same chip perform so differently in two cameras? Lenses are another issue. OK. But I guess both cameras on the same lens should behave the same.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 21:24:12 »
You really get me thinking. How can the same chip perform so differently in two cameras? Lenses are another issue. OK. But I guess both cameras on the same lens should behave the same.

I read that the two companies did implement the sensor in different ways and we certainly know that with the Nikon D810, Nikon did special things with the low-end ISO, etc. Having used both the GFX and the X1D, I did not find the GFX lenses anything to write home about, while with the X1D I found what I was looking for in either of these cameras, the pleasant shock of very high IQ. Perhaps Fuji chose to correct their lenses for the GFX to a lessor standard. I don't know, but over time I am sure folks will figure it out. In my case, it was simple. The GFX did not seem to do any better than the D810, while the X1D definitely does.

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 21:43:33 »
Car engines change character within a range (power/torque/reaction,- you name it) by just tweaking the software.
I'd think the same applies to cameras as their firmware intentionally differs.
Beside that: Do they really share the same sensor?
-/-/-

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 21:49:03 »
Apparently they do share the same sensor, although Fuji claims to mount it differently, but wiring it from the back in two rows. It's over my head. The end result is about the only way I can judge it, and for my work the X1D is what I like.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 07:52:54 »
Some more comments after using the Hassleblad X1D for a while:

I did a series of test shots using my D810 and the Otus 85mm lens as compared to using the X1d with the 90mm lens. While there is no question in my mind that the D810/Otus is better (and the X1D is less sharp, etc.), the difference with the X1D is not enough to make me “dislike” the performance of the X1D. It is good enough for what I do, which (to me) is saying something.

There is a quality to shooting with the X1D that (I guess) I like. It is quite different than using the D810/Otus and I am working on getting used to that difference. Operationally, I am used to (and like) the D810 and I find trying to return to LiveView after taking a photo with the X1D not a fun experience. I would rather have a dedicated button (or the ability to assign one) so that I have a 100% positive press, rather that pussyfooting around to make sure I don’t take a photo when I only want to have LiveView again.

I have gotten used to using the 2 sec. timer instead of a hard-wired remote, so that is not a problem. I don’t like the focus-by-wire method of the X1D lenses, but I do like the results of X1D Focusing, which are clear and positive, so I can live with that.

I am still trying to decide whether I like the overall look of the IQ with the X1D. It is “bright” and a bit transparent compared to the more “viscous” look of the Nikon D810. As Obama said to Hilary Clinton “You’re liable enough, Hilary.” I am leaning in that direction with the “look” of the X1D. I can learn to use it for what I need and that is a form of “liking it,” IMO.

The form factor and haptics are perfect, and the magnesium body is really a chunk. The lenses are not too big, although I am preparing myself for the shock of the much larger 120mm macro, after having owned a Hasselblad HC 120mm. The macro lens is what I miss right now with the X1D, because I need to get a little closer. I find myself liking the X1d and seem to be preparing a kit to take this little camera on the road. However, I have learned to like my D810 even more than I used to after my experience with the Pentax K1, the Fuji GFX, and now the X1D.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 21:44:38 »
Michael,

Thanks for the update. I really like the way you share your impressions. Would be good to see more photos if you have them.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 01:42:07 »
I sent back the Fuji GFX, the Pentax K1, and so on. I also came close to sending the X1D back as well, but I got at least a little breath of fresh air in all this.

I feel I am beginning to understand the X1D and perhaps medium-format cameras in general. I used to have a Mamiya RZ67, which I probably never understood well enough; anyway, I never really learned to use it.

Using the Hasselblad X1D these days, I begin to (perhaps) better understand what the old hands with medium-format cameras have been trying to point out to those of us coming in from the DSLR. For one, these small medium-format cameras like the X1D and GFX are not just the next version of the DSLR, like many of us are looking for. I know that, because Nikon has failed to update the D810, I am looking for the next version of that camera, if not from Nikon, then from somewhere else.

However, what is starting to sink in or at least come through is something a little different from what I imagined the X1D (or GFX) is all about. We can imagine that cameras like the X1D are the next step beyond full-frame DSLRs, as I did, but this is really a different kind of camera, not simply an extension of the full-frame DSLR. I am starting to understand that.

No, the X1D (at least so far) is not as “sharp” as what I can get with the Nikon D810. That’s true. It’s a different take on photography, one with some subtlety, at least for me. It is hard to put into words, but I will try, so please don’t shoot the messenger. I am just trying to grasp the nature of these little medium-format mirrorless cameras, and to get with the program.

There is somehow more space with the 50 Mpx sensor, and certainly more light. I have never seen as gentle a roll-off for highlights than with the X1D. There is something similar with the Nikon D810 blacks at ISO 64 that is magic. This I know. But I can see there is a corresponding thing happening with highlights and the Hasselblad X1D.

My question now is how to learn to use this particular approach to light. At least I am respectful and realize I have been barking up the wrong tree by trying make the X1D the future of full-frame DSLRS. What’s new for me is that I don’t (yet) know how best to use the lightness and space of the X1D images. At least I know I don’t know.

The images from the X1D are not as sharp, and they seem to need a little extra contrast. But most of all, at least right now for me, they need more time for me to work with the process of taking images with this camera. Focus has to be done (and checked) very deliberately. What I call in focus-stacking “short stacks” (a few layers only in a stacked image) seem to lend themselves very naturally to the X1D. Larger and longer stacks do not.

My whole approach with the X1D has to be more like a movie set, where infinite pains are made to arrange an impression before we make the impression by actually taking a photo. It reminds me of the old view cameras and, of course, it is all about process. Process in using the X1D is as much a part of the result as any resulting images could be. And attention to such process, very careful attention, results in the kind of images I didn’t even know I was looking for. Yet, I like them.

So the Hasselblad X1D speeds up my process in photography by further slowing me down with that very same process, so that the resulting images improve as the process improves through more painstaking. I am sure other photographers will push other envelopes, although this really is not a sports or event camera, but more a still-life camera, at least for me.

In other words, this may well be what I have been looking for, but it is not what I expected. Expectations cannot define, and you can’t expect to find what you expect. I get that now and that is the future.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 02:28:02 »
As one who steered you away from the X1D towards the Fuji GFX (because the features seemed better suited for your style of photography) I am glad you are getting good images from the X1D.

Just goes to show you can't judge a camera on specs alone, actual hands-on experience makes all the difference.