Author Topic: A very used 105 f2.5 AI  (Read 7302 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: A very used 105 f2.5 AI
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2017, 21:54:12 »
I have a very well used 135 QC which doesn't have a large amount of contrast. If I have some time I'll clean it and see if removing some of the internal dust will make a difference.

Look for haze in the lens. That can easily cause a loss of contrast. It takes a fair amount of internal dust to cause a lost of contrast. If there is enough dust to cause a 1% loss of image quality would you notice?: If enough for a 10% loss, like that. I've cleaned only one lens out of maybe 50~55 over the years.

If the loss is from flare when pointed in the sun's direction that would be normal for a single coated lens. Even a broad area of hazy bright sky can cause a loss with a single coated lens. Always use a lens hood.

We're spoiled by Super Integrated Coatings and the occasional Nano coating. They do make a difference. Right now breakfast with coffee would make a difference.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

JBPhoto

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2017, 02:19:00 »
Mine looks like a factory mint sample compared to that beat up one, LOL

However, it is now posted in the Classifieds making way for my new 105mm F1.4E

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2017, 02:23:22 »
Mine looks like a factory mint sample compared to that beat up one, LOL

However, it is now posted in the Classifieds making way for my new 105mm F1.4E

Are you sure? A 105/2.5 manual focus lens and a 105/1.4 AF lens are vastly different lenses. I would keep both.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

JBPhoto

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2017, 02:40:41 »
Yep it's going. I like them both but I have gotten used to AF now and find the manual lenses just don't get used that often anymore. Recently sold my 24mm F2.8 AI too. I guess some might call me a minimalist, LOL.

And. . . . . It's gone!