Author Topic: Dropped Lens. Ugh. 58 f1.4  (Read 1108 times)

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
Dropped Lens. Ugh. 58 f1.4
« on: April 29, 2017, 21:15:59 »
I am so mad, so sad. I dropped my 58 f1.4G a week or so ago and at the time could not test it. I tried today and it does not focus, neither AF or M focus.  In AF, the motor is trying to go and it makes a clicking noise. in M focus it does not seem like the focus is changing as I twist.

Obviously it is a service call, but any insight ahead as to what happened inside?

I have a sick feeling in my stomach.

EDIT: it fell about two feet onto a wood stair. A pretty good hit, but not on cement.

Thanks all,
Rob.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Dropped Lens. Ugh. 58 f1.4
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 21:42:45 »
I can sympathize. A lens drop is always sad, even if all it does is bend the filter ring.

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 04:04:35 »
Based on how you described it, the outer lens's cylinder is deformed a little bit. Just find were, and try to push it back to normal even diameter, with your fingers only, by careful tension from the 2 other sides, 90 degrees left and right. Be sure the lens was not hit from the side of filter thread, in this unfortunate case your lens will need pro service. I do share your sadness, good luck!  LZ

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 06:08:10 »
Rob, sorry about your mishap.  I should be painful to damage such an expensive lens...

Considering that the outer shell is made of engineering plastic, the shock from the two-feet-drop could have been well absorbed.

I would suspect that the USM element is damaged?

Have you checked out whether the optical system is damaged or survived?  At least you would be able to focus at the distance where the optical system is stuck.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira