Author Topic: [Portfolio] Art for the Moment: Fairbanks Ice Festival 2017, 2014, 2013, 2012  (Read 7321 times)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: [Portfolio] Art for the Moment: Fairbanks Ice Festival 2017, 2014
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 09:41:26 »
Plus the fact that every form of Art is highly subjective.  I like for instance this years winner, and the very detailed captures of it. In 2014 I can't point out a favourite...

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 10:00:35 »
I think what can be the case (similar to photography) is that there is both a component of technical brilliance in execution vs. artistic planning of the sculptures (of course these are not mutually exclusive). Both are likely merited when the ice sculptures are judged. However it may be that one year the trend among the artists tips more to one side and another to the other.

Yes, I agree with that.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
The 2013 Ice Festival. I am not sure if these were posted in the old forum. This was the second year I used my IR-converted D40x to capture some of the sculptures. Near visible IR light is filtered by the ice, allowing use of the IR camera to better distinguish the ice from the surroundings.

2013 was the the year of the dragon: A lot of my attention in the 2013 multi block category went to the 1st price Realistic, which might be my all time favorite among these. (Disclosure: A favorite activity in my early childhood was to build big snow dragons...). It was very well designed and even the wings of the dragon held up well when spring thaw set in and many other sculptures already had crumbled. It also received the Artists' Choice Award:

Hunting Dragons by our local team Heather and Steve Bryce together with Steve and Justin Cox.

NIKON D40x IR-720nm, f/10 @ 14 mm, 0.5s, ISO 100. Moving the red channel to blue renders the ice cobalt blue like silica gel.

The dragon was huge; the hunter is pretty much life size.

Every dragon with respect for itself keeps a captive damsel as lure to attract a brave knight.

Understandably, the public was not allowed behind the ropes, considering how easily damage could occur to the sculptures. When I came back to the dragon later in the evening after closing time I met Heather, the artist capturing her own images of their work. When I explained to her about my IR camera she allowed me get behind the ropes towards the back. I later shared the images with her for promotion of their work.

D40x IR-720nm, f/10 @ 14 mm, 0.5s, ISO 100. Red channel not moved.

D40x IR-720nm, f/10 @ 105 mm, 0.8s, ISO 100.

I keep having trouble deciding between the visible light and the IR version among these two:

Some other work:
On my way home, 4th place abstract.

Foreign Object, 2nd place Realistic

;This was just a piece pointing forward to the next festivals and not part of the competion.

Hope, 2nd place Abstract.

Extreme Ice, 4th place Realistic.

D40x IR720nm, f/10 @ 19 mm, 1/4, ISO 100.

The  Unstoppable fierce bear was huge.

I was too early for the colored lights to have been turned on for most of the multi block work, which might have affected my selection.
Next post: single block category. They use LEDs to light the single block so they do not work for IR captures.
Øivind Tøien

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 10:37:08 »
2013 Single block

Mother Nature

Blue Ballet

Rascasse

The Meteor Final Destination received Artists Choice Award.

New Life

Visitor of the Sun, 2nd place Abstract

Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
WOW!!!

The 2013 should have been an extremely fantastically awesome year!  I wouldn't hesitate to say that the results from 2013 blows the ones from other years away.  Look at the skin of the dragon...(although there is nothing "realistic", as the dragon is an imaginary species.  :P )  There are impressive single block works as well.  The IR works really nicely.

Again, thanks for sharing!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
What a set of incredibly detailed sculptures, and of course, wonderful captures

Thanks for sharing your images
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
I echo Akira and Armando.  Very impressive, Øivind !

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
Wow! #7 and 8 are my favorites. Beautiful pictures and impressive craftsmanship from the artists :)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Impressive sculptures and captures.
Was it difficult to expose?

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Thanks for the enthusiastic comments all of you, one really has to take the hat off to the artists!

Børge, #7 is also one of my favorites and the image that Heather Bryce chose to feature on their web site.

golunvolo, there is need to watch the highlights for not getting too blown, and in particular with IR, but I am usually able to use aperture priority with tweaking of exposure compensation combined with histogram checks. Some bracketing for difficult cases does not hurt.
Øivind Tøien

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Time for the 2012 Ice Festival. I used my D40x IR-720nm body extensively that year. I think most of these were posted in the old forum so they might not be new to everyone; here in bigger versions for completeness.

2012 Multi block entries

The Gallery

On the Bridge to Nowhere

At the Call of Dreams

Tiger Marriage Desire, 3rd price multi block.

Opera

The Land Calls

Spring

Prickly Reception, well deserved 1st price multi block!

The Super Raven Guide

Mother

Arctic Survival

2012 Single block entries. As I could not use the IR camera due to use of LED lights in that section I captured less of these.

Love's Weight

Space Dog

Treasure Hunt Blue Marine, 1st price single block.
Øivind Tøien