Author Topic: Angkor Wat  (Read 2542 times)

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
Angkor Wat
« on: March 24, 2017, 19:10:07 »

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
Re: Angkor Wat
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 22:35:11 »
Hi Ron

This is nice... When I see you picture I think this pave was made for infrared photography... You should try!

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 09:27:40 »
Great shot Ron.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 15:31:17 »
Looks like a fantastic place Ron

What is the black structure to the left of the towers ?

Is it in inside the complex or behind it? Locally - in Guadalajara Mexico -  there was a big argument about building modern architecture near a historic site that is part of the unesco heritage, the modern architecture would spill the view and the site will likely loose the unesco heritage budget, so far it has not been approved.
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 15:50:20 »
Looks like a fantastic place Ron

What is the black structure to the left of the towers ?

Is it in inside the complex or behind it? Locally - in Guadalajara Mexico -  there was a big argument about building modern architecture near a historic site that is part of the unesco heritage, the modern architecture would spill the view and the site will likely loose the unesco heritage budget, so far it has not been approved.

:o that black box needs cloning out

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 19:17:24 »
The black box is  a cover for part of the temple that is being repaired.  One travels halfway around the world to see a very famous site and the operators don't give a damn about the picture taking.  I won't be going back, so please don't make me feel bad about it.  I photographed what was there, when I was there, as best as I could.  There were several people cloned out, but my Ps skills are not up to getting rid of the black box.  If I was Steve McCurry, I could rely on a crew of Ps wizards to clean up after me.

I can't tell you how many beautiful places are screwed up because there is a trash bin every 3 meters, stupid signs everywhere and overgrown to where there is no line of sight.

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 20:58:37 »
If you were McCurry, you would have to photograph women behind their veils rather than relaxed girls as you often do!
This is just a joke, there is absolutely no political or religious statement here!

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 22:59:58 »
If you were McCurry, you would have to photograph women behind their veils rather than relaxed girls as you often do!
This is just a joke, there is absolutely no political or religious statement here!

If I were McCurry I would spend months on end in India unburdened by my life in Houston.  He lives not far away in Austin and a few years ago he dated someone I know in Houston.  I met him.  He is very lean and otherwise ordinary looking.  I understand the humor.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 23:21:32 »
You should have stood there in awe...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 23:52:59 »
It is disappointing when maintenance work spoils a view one has travelled to see.  But at least it is in a good cause, not like littering.

I agree that the work tent should not be cloned out.  It cannot be replaced with any degree of authenticity.
Anthony Macaulay

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 00:25:18 »
You should have stood there in awe...

Although a man of extraordinary talent, Steve McCurry comes across like an ordinary guy.

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 00:26:12 »
It is disappointing when maintenance work spoils a view one has travelled to see.  But at least it is in a good cause, not like littering.

I agree that the work tent should not be cloned out.  It cannot be replaced with any degree of authenticity.

Thanks Anthony.  You know the old saying, it is what it is...

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 13:55:33 »
Here is pretty much the same view of Angkor Wat without the scaffolding on the left - but there was some of the right when I was there. 

Like any 800 year old building Angkor Wat needs repairs, but there are additional problems at Angkor.  The ground at Angkor is basically sand, and the temples were built without what we would call proper foundations.  Their stability depends on the sand not drying out, and the moats and lily ponds that you see in all the pictures were not just decoration: they prevent the sand under the buildings drying out, which would cause the buildings to collapse.  The recent rapid growth of tourism in the area has led to an explosion of hotel building and uncontrolled extraction of ground water, lowering the water table and threatening the stability of the temples. 

This is film.  I let the sky blow out and used slightly soft focus in an attempt to get a 19th century look. 

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 15:50:18 »
Les commentary would explain why there has to be constant maintenance on this ancient ruins

Interesting to learn that sand has to remain wet in order to be more stable, I guess it makes sense, one can not build a sand castle with dry sand
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 16:48:18 »
The area under the black box in my color image is visible in the B&W rendering.  Thank you Les for your explanation.  I guess this is like Venice, slowly coming apart because the things we build don't last forever.