Author Topic: Help tightening lens mount  (Read 1635 times)

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Help tightening lens mount
« on: March 24, 2017, 13:55:48 »
I just bought a tc-14b which looks to be in pretty good shape, except that there is some play/looseness between it and the lens. It doesn't rattle, but it does allow  bit of rotation and maybe .25mm of axial movement.

The mount on the camera side is nice and tight, and the lens when fitted to the camera alone is tight too. Is there an adjustment or modification I can do to make the attachment tighter?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Help tightening lens mount
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 14:51:11 »
Culprit tends to be wear in the locking pin groove. Nothing to do except for replacing the entire bayonet, plus remembering that the camera should be mounted onto heavy lenses, not in the opposite manner.

This problem is common  to all brands by the way. I once used a Leica 180/2 that almost fell off the camera due to play in the locking groove.

Newer long Nikkors have steel inserts in the groove to reduce wear.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 14:56:21 »
I hope it's not warped! :o :o :o

so, if the movement is axial then it's OK.

look at the slot in the mount where the pin should be situated. if there are depressions on the sides of the slot's walls then that slot is worn and needs to be replaced.

one more thing that could go wrong is the small screw on the mount of the TC. look for a small screw arounf 6 o'clock. see if it's still nice and OK. if it's worn and ugly then it may come off anytime and damage your camera or lens :'(

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 14:57:21 »
Culprit tends to be wear in the locking pin groove. Nothing to do except for replacing the entire bayonet, plus remembering that the camera should be mounted onto heavy lenses, not in the opposite manner.

This problem is common  to all brands by the way. I once used a Leica 180/2 that almost fell off the camera due to play in the locking groove.

Newer long Nikkors have steel inserts in the groove to reduce wear.

yes, this exactly  :o :o :o

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 15:13:43 »
I'd echo Richard's warning about the presence and condition of the tiny locking screw in the bayonet. If this is missing or (same effect) worn down, you could be in really big trouble as the lens could be rotated past its stop position and thereby get stuck in the camera mount. If this ever happens there is a lesson never to be forgotten ... (yes, speaking from real experience here)

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 15:23:43 »
it happened to my then 2-day old D7200 :o :o :o

it was painful. my heart cried a lot. Nikon didn't charge me anything for the D7200 but charged $140 for the 16-35 f/4 ::)

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 01:34:36 »
Good thing my problem is on the interface between the TC and the lens. I'm planning to send the TC back. It is loose on both lenses I've tried (my other lenses have a read element which would interfere)