Author Topic: el-nikkor  (Read 9881 times)

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
Re: el-nikkor
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 00:00:41 »
Yes, 75mm f/1:4, I keep making that mistake... 

Thanks Dr Klaus

Most welcome. There is a 70mm, but a very rare lens that is.
formerly known as kds315

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 00:11:11 »
I recently came by a couple of El-Nikkors: 50mm 2.8 and 70mm 4.

It is there an adapter to an F mount? I tried the 50mm today and it was very nice.

Thanks  in advance!

From my experience the 50/2.8 EL Nikkor is a fine lens. I ran off several enlarging lenses, maybe six. I chose 50/3.5 Fujinon-EP but a pair 50/2.8(s), old and new were right there. I  own a 75/4.0 EL Nikkor. I'm pretty sure it a simple design with modest performance. I used a 100/5.6 Componon-S in preference to the 75/4.0 whenever possible. I used a Omega Heavy 10x grain focuser.

Dave

[I've edited 70/4.0 to 75/4.0 after check a brochure and insurance list. Thank You! to those who pointed out my error.]
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 00:33:37 »
Thank you for the pointer David. I enjoy taking them out but unfortunally, I have limited time. This days of vacation have been used to try the 75 -some more in the pipeline-, a 28mm f/2 -amazing lens- and to enjoy the 105 2.5 and 10.5 dx 2.8. Four days, four lenses  :D Now I´ll have some working days in which I used mostly the zooms and a prime.
   Will share here the 50´s images in due time

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 00:07:34 »
El-nikkor 105mm 5.6 at f8 -almost sure- on a d500. Helicoids and adapter ring. Focusing still critical, I needed the help of a tripod, fluid head and live view focusing magnification. That´s a lot of work... :P

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 06:57:34 »
Lovely portraits you've posted, I particularly like the one on the beach, eyes closed, looking up.

I've always been impressed with el-nikkor image quality even though they can be a hassle to use. I was getting my camera serviced at the local Nikon facility and they had the EL-Nikkor 360mm in their display case. Quite the lens to behold.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 18:51:20 »
Today I tried the el-nikkor 80mm 5.6 with 20 to 40mm helicoids. This combination makes for a comfortable working distances for far and close subjects so I may try it again. As usual focusing through the viewfinder was impossible so any advice will be appreciated. With live view and magnification the very thin focus plane can be used. I like the rendering. One portrait

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2017, 22:22:56 »
Beautiful images are there. But have you ever tried the Rodenstock  Apo-Rodagon-N 50/2.8 EL, or any Apo-Sironar, whichever you are able to locate? If you really do, what do you think about, because I, personally, have never tried any of them digitally? Thanks in advance, LZ.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 22:29:37 »
I guess a replacement focussing screen will help. Great results, esp the #18 white flower and the male portrait in #20
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 00:06:21 »
Beautiful images are there. But have you ever tried the Rodenstock  Apo-Rodagon-N 50/2.8 EL, or any Apo-Sironar, whichever you are able to locate? If you really do, what do you think about, because I, personally, have never tried any of them digitally? Thanks in advance, LZ.

I haven´t and I don´t have any of those, sorry. I do own an el-nikkor 50mm 2.8 and it is the next one on the list to try but I´m not sure if you are interested in that one? Will post here

I guess a replacement focussing screen will help. Great results, esp the #18 white flower and the male portrait in #20

Thanks Frank. Slowing down makes for different images.

First try with el-nikkors was with the d700 and k3 split focusing screen with pretty bad results. Had to resort to the liveview for accurate focusing.
   I had problems -not so severe- with manual focus with the 105mm 2.5 ai in the same camera so my skills are not good.  The green point help a lot with that one but not with any of the el-nikkor so far.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 00:30:42 »
So, the inability to shoot distant subjects with these EL-Nikkors on Nikon DSLRs is of no problem to me.

+1

Check the tech sheets for the lens and test. A lens not intended for say 2 meters might give a nice rendition in which case you're found a "feature". :)

Dave

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 04:01:38 »
Paco, glad to know you are enjoying the enlarger lenses.  EL-Nikkor sounds like Spanish, so it would serve you nicely.  :D
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 07:53:56 »
Paco, glad to know you are enjoying the enlarger lenses.  EL-Nikkor sounds like Spanish, so it would serve you nicely.  :D

EL-Nikkoro then?? :-) Indeed, have always been trusted performers!!
formerly known as kds315

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2017, 19:57:50 »
It does sound Spanish, like an old friend  :D

Today was the 50mm 2.8 I have tried this one in the past just didn´t remember. Max focusing distance is very short even with the shorter of the helicoids in my bag. As always, focusing was very difficult. Add today I grab the d300 -I still love that camera- and liveview may not be the best. Some leaves and a everyday-use fisheye.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2017, 22:09:44 »
Most welcome. There is a 70mm, but a very rare lens that is.
I don't own this lens and it's not listed in the PDF brouchure I have of EL Nikkors. Is there a link with information on the lens? I'm curious about the lens. The lens I own is the common a 75/4.0 EL Nikkor.

Dave

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2017, 22:41:38 »
When I started in darkroom which was about 1972 or 1973 I blindly thought all Schneider lenses were top notch. I believe there were Componar and Componon-S lenses and probably more. I blindly made beginner mistakes and bought Componar lenses who's design dates from about 1914 per Wikipedia.

Again I made mistakes when switching from a 6x6 or 6x7 Durst to a 4x5 Beseler enlarger in 1974. I didn't realize that Nikon had a few economy EL Nikkors so I bought a 50/4.0 and 75/4.0 EL Nikkor. Today with the internet I almost certainly would not have bought the first four enlarging lenses I bought. In the EL-Nikkor line I believe the preferred lens is the 80/5.6 compared to the 75/4.0. I've never owned the 80/5.6 so I can't verify this but the 75/4.0 is a 4 element 3 group design while the 80/5.6 is a 6 element 4 group design like the 105/5.6 and 135/5.6 EL-Nikkors.

Dave