Author Topic: Grease for old Nikkor  (Read 1475 times)

DanAa

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Grease for old Nikkor
« on: March 22, 2017, 11:54:20 »
My old AiS Micro Nikkor 55/2.8 was very hard to focus, i.e. the focusing had become nearly “frozen”. So I partly disassembled the lens. However, when I assembled it I did not use any grease. I should. But what kind? And where to buy it?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Grease for old Nikkor
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 12:12:29 »
Get on the phone to FotoCare, Oslo and ask them for help. The head tech, Mr. Vegard Kvamme, tends to be very helpful. He probably could arrange for a small vial of the proper lubricant to be picked up at their site. Or you just drop off the lens there.

Do note that this particular Micro-Nikkor has a nasty reputation for its propensity to get lubricant smear on the aperture blades.  Thus regreasing should be done with the correct lubricant and utmost care.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 07:17:12 »
http://richardhaw.com/tag/lens-grease/

if you are interested to listen to what I have to say about grease...

https://www.amazon.com/Japan-Hobby-Herical-grease-JHT9110/dp/B0014ZU03M/ref=sr_1_2?srs=9242722011&ie=UTF8&qid=1490249679&sr=8-2&keywords=lens+grease
This is from my supplier, mr. Sasabe. This is what I always use for people who ask me to overhaul their 55/2.8 :o :o :o do not apply too much!

this grease is great so far but I was told that it got a bit stiff on -5c  ::) I used it at that temp during winter and maybe even colder but it didn't get stiff at all so maybe prolonged exposure might be the issue.

that lens is very sensitive when it comes to grease, be careful which one you use. I have probably overhauled too many of that lens that I don't want to see another one ever again ::)

DanAa

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 22:31:18 »
Thanks for all yours comments.