Author Topic: Reflections  (Read 1698 times)

Woodley Willie

• Monkey See, Monkey Do, Monkey Do Again...
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Reflections
« on: March 20, 2017, 21:05:38 »
I keep looking at this photo and I can't get any distance from it to evaluate it, or more precisely, I don't have the experience to evaluate it.  My first thought was, 'keep moving, there is nothing to see here...'  Then I moved on to, 'son, you have created a compositional dry heave.'  Anyway, I would appreciate a critical look.   Thanks
Wonder what this does?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Reflections
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 21:36:09 »
Not a  bad attempt, but I think there simply are too many competing elements inside the frame. Simplify and by that I don't refer to making it b/w.

There is a small tilt to the left that also should be corrected.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 21:47:33 »
I'd take the middle third of it vertically. The tree on the left doesn't work very well. What are you trying to convey?

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 23:17:53 »
I like it and there is a lot going on which keeps me from liking it more. Within this scene there are several opportunities for very strong images if you narrow down your focus. Less is more. Not necessarily referring to cropping, but perhaps going back and using a longer lens and shooting from different vantage points.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 23:31:00 »
Charlie took the words right out of my mouth! That is, to go back and try shooting lots of different views because all those reflections are really fascinating.

I wanted to say that I liked the way you have converted & processed this photo.

Woodley Willie

• Monkey See, Monkey Do, Monkey Do Again...
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 23:41:19 »
Thanks everyone for the helpful comments.  This building is faced with a blue/green mirrored glass.  It sits alone in a field, mostly.  Somehow I would like to convey the bleak majesty of this architecture.  I'll definitely return, earlier, and hopefully with more color and clouds in the sky. 
Wonder what this does?

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 19:08:12 »
Thanks everyone for the helpful comments.  This building is faced with a blue/green mirrored glass.  It sits alone in a field, mostly.  Somehow I would like to convey the bleak majesty of this architecture.  I'll definitely return, earlier, and hopefully with more color and clouds in the sky.
I agree with the others that there is too much crammed into the frame.  Good luck on the reshoot....hopefully you can find a camera position that communicates the 'bleak majesty'(great expression) better.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 07:07:47 »
I think the picture is realy unwhelming because of how much is crunched in it.  The clouds and an upper building alone would make for a dramatic and detailed photo.  Also, I feel the tree is really a sore spot as it doesn't fit with the elegant magical look of clouds and glass that dominate the image.
-Tristin