Author Topic: interesting read  (Read 4378 times)

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: interesting read
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 19:11:23 »
Ilkka is making me think about selling off my 4x5 equipment which is currently being underused.

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 21:32:25 »
My take: I have a D810 and a tech cam with CFV-50c. IMO, the files between the two are quite similar. Yes, the Hasselblad has more resolution and larger pixels so you could tick a +1 for it. They will both print LARGE and you can focus stack either one for even better knock-your-socks-off prints.

Jack, I've just acquired two ancient Hasselblad film backs and have started shooting film again with the tech cam (bw only!).

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 23:08:40 »
My take: I have a D810 and a tech cam with CFV-50c. IMO, the files between the two are quite similar. Yes, the Hasselblad has more resolution and larger pixels so you could tick a +1 for it. They will both print LARGE and you can focus stack either one for even better knock-your-socks-off prints.

Jack, I've just acquired two ancient Hasselblad film backs and have started shooting film again with the tech cam (bw only!).

Oh, I have a Rollei TLR and a baby graflex with 6x9 roll-film holder which aren't worth the trouble to divest.

Maybe I'll see about adapting my Df to a 4x5, though with lens registration distance + bellows and standards I'd have trouble getting to infinity with anything shorter than 120mm.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 22:42:26 »
Jack,

Due to the size of the front of most 4x5" cameras I don't think adapting an FX or smaller dSLR will be that useful. If you are shooting Nikon then I'd recommend a Nikon PB-4 or PB-6 bellows. There are also various medium sizeed systems with significant front standared movements that are probably more appropriate than a 4x5 camera. Note that the depth of the mirror box can easily cause hard image clipping.

Years back I made an adapter for a Pentax 6x7 body to Linhof Karden Colour 45 S monorail view camera. I also have an unfinished Graflock 4x5 to Nikon F adapter. I could use it with a Linhof Technika IV for extreme bellows extension but it's unfinished.

You might make an adapter for the baby Grafix. I owned a 6x9 Century Ggrafix and it folded up nicely for hiking. I traded it for a Technika 45 which also folds up nicely but weighs about as much as a millstone.

Best,

Dave Hartman

Sorry about typos: this phone changes words and my spelling socks. :(
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

OCD

• Obsessive Corgi Disorder
  • NG Member
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2017, 00:24:15 »
Seems that for most people...unless you print really large or are engaged in some form of specialty photography...the MF sensors don't really hit a good price/performance ratio.  The new MF digital sensor has really gotta do something that your existing gear won't in order to justify it based on cost alone.  The current trend makes FX seem a bit of sweet spot to me...IMHO of course.  A nice combo seems an iPhone and FX system.  (Footnote:  DX has potential as a "sweet spot" as well, but lack of a full lens catalog holds it back; FX has a rather large advantage in this regard - and the volume of FX lenses available strike a difference vs MF as well).

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2017, 02:22:15 »
by the way, Ming Thein is now part of the Hasselblad management (since a few days ago) :o :o :o