Author Topic: Sadly Leaving Nikon!  (Read 14682 times)

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
Sadly Leaving Nikon!
« on: March 19, 2017, 21:59:39 »
SEEMS NOT! 
......I went to the National Photography Show today, with funds in place to get the best deal on a GFX. My dream was to replicate my youth, when I shot with Pentax 6x7, LX, MX.
My new trio was to be GFX, X-Pro, X100 (Camera makers love X's!) for my personal photography  ....I was prepared to put up with fujifilm foibles and ugliness, to own the large lush sensor. Sadly my dream was shattered the moment I put the viewfinder to my eye. People love or hate EVF's, seems I am still the latter ....but I do love the dual optical and electrical finders on my other two Fuji's. As EVF's are very useful to me for things other than the decisive moment.

Now the GFX is forgotten I am wishing for a D810 update with a hybrid OVF, EVF finder, 50+mp, and  Multi-CAM 20K. If they also made a digital S3, I could say goodbye to fujifilm instead.

Cheers

Bez

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Sadly Leaving Nikon!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 23:30:00 »
Love you, BEZ. I hated the VF of the GFX too!

I will keep my X100T and wait for a better Firmware to the GFX and an option to buy it without this VF or a better VF or for tethered shooting in the studio only.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 00:09:26 »
Arrival of a digital S3 would be keeping up the Nikon tradition for the 100 year anniversary :D

Dreams are for free. But I'd buy it without any hesitation should it materialise.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 00:20:53 »
Pentax 645Z :o :o :o

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 01:12:54 »
Love you Frank  ...I imagine fujifilm will eventually iron out firmware issues, as they do. But despite the hype, EVF's still seem a long way off from being suitable for my use.

Bjørn, Nikon are pushing their anniversary big time at the show, but no hints of anything that exciting!

Richard, Pentax don't still make cameras, do they?? 
Bez

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 04:02:09 »
SEEMS NOT! 
.... As EVF's are very useful to me for things other than the decisive moment.

Cheers
Bez, couldn't agree more  :)

I shoot many events where I need immediate response from the camera.  I have shoot a couple of events using only Olympus and one using only the Sony a7xx cameras but neither system works for catching that split second as my Nikons do.  It is one thing to be shooting when I know exactly where the target will be but entirely different when the shot wanted can be anywhere in 360 degrees.
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 07:17:49 »
I have used Panasonic G1, and it already offered most of the benefits of EVF despite its coarse image.  However, the strain imposed on my eye looking into the EVF was the major problem.  Looking into EVF is like staring  at a bright screen in a dark room.  No good for the eye.  This problem hasn't been solved on any of the most modern models.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 08:14:25 »
Arrival of a digital S3 would be keeping up the Nikon tradition for the 100 year anniversary :D

Dreams are for free. But I'd buy it without any hesitation should it materialise.

So I do ! 👍🏻
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 09:01:12 »
For events the D500 is wonderful as is the D5 for everything above ISO 20K where it runs circles around everything else. But that is not what I need for my daily work which is not events.

I need silent operation. The D500 does that well. I need great performance up to ISO 20K. Check. Great VF also for manual focus. Check. Great body ergonomics. Check. Superb AF. Check. Superb WB. Check....

Only thing I miss is a bigger recording chip. The D810 chip would be enough for me but I learned that more Megapixels do not hurt if the chip is "back side illuminated" .... so give us that.

On a bsi full frame we should triple the amount of light collected by the D500 at least so we get a great tonality and full use of the image circle of our lenses.

For me even a D600 chip in a "professional context" like a D500 housing and electronics would be a big step forward.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 09:22:25 »
Ditto to buying whatever D810 replacement arises, provided it has some more pixels, the same custom ISO 64 and perhaps a better LiveView screen. I sent my GFX back as a "good try," but the lenses were not what I am used to, so I am kind of trapped by all the great lenses I love to use. They did not look that good adapted to the GFX, so I wish Nikon would get off the dime.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 09:35:31 »
Thanks for sharing your experience Bez! New is not always better,,,
Erik Lund

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 13:24:41 »
Richard, Pentax don't still make cameras, do they??

Why wouldn't they?

The 645Z was one of the first cameras to get the 33mm x 44mm Sony Exmor sensor. And yes, it has the optical viewfinder. I guess people want a bigger sensor in a smaller camera.  ;) In life and cameras, there is no perfect solution.

A full frame 645 DSLR with digital back (Phase One XF 100) costs about 50k.  :o Phase One & Sony sensor so it should have very nice image quality.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 13:41:43 »
If one needs reliable performance with a predictable outcome it's rarely wise to step into first or second gen technology.

The D1/D100 were a joke, the D2/D200 were Okish and the D3/D300/D700 were mind-blowing, even by todays standards.

The a7R was a joke, the a7RII is OKish and all signs give the impressions that the MkIII models will to be on par with their DSLR rivals.

The GFX is stretching of what is technically possible today, very cool if one can live with its limitations but too soon for those whom demand a predictable outcome...
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 14:10:43 »
Camera technology is continuously evolving, there is no firm distinction between "generations" as between generations there are individual models you could call sub generations, it is more a case of continuous improvement of technology.  Camera development didn't start from digital, neither did Fuji start making the GFX from scratch as they have many years of experience.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 14:24:41 »
I agree JA, New products needs maturing, very seldom a completely new product is introduced in a complete and satisfactory package, lenses also needs to be there,,,

It isn't until recently the Sigma lenses have risen to something worth using along side the Nikkors, some users report. Zeiss is still MF for their compatible lenses in Nikon F mount,,,

There are numerous other examples of this,,,

Dave has shot extensively with the Pentax 645Z since many years, I recall Lofoten!
Erik Lund