Author Topic: Looking for "Art lens" - Your thoughts on the new Meyer-Optik Trioplan lenses  (Read 7686 times)

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Examples of the $200 Zenit 85/1.5.
Thanks to Erik it meters properly with its dedicated CPU :)

Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
I am still going back and forth which camera I would like to use: Olympus PEN-F or D750. Getting an adapter should not be a problem.

Peter,

If you want large "bubbles" then you need a larger sensor than the Olympus or you need to use long focus or telephoto lenses. The size of the blurred light objects is determined by the physical size of the aperture or the apparent size and not the aperture ratio. If a 100~105mm lens gives the size blur you like you use the same lens on both the 35.9x24mm and 17.4 x 13.0mm. My 50/1.2 AIS on DX doesn't do much at all in terms of blurring backgrounds as the physical aperture is too small. Yes it blurs them but the things in the background are still quite recognizable as the blurs are small. My 85/2.0 AIS does more but at a greater shooting distance so a different perspective. Small subjects in close are easier to get blurred backgrounds with as the distance from the camera to the subject is short and the distance to the background can easily be far so the ratio favors background blur. Anyway take the format size into consideration while considering this. I recommend that larger FX format.

There are two things to consider here: the Bokeh or quality of the blurs and your preferences and the size. There are many factors to consider.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Jakov, those two are just marvellous!
Erik Lund

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
Jakov, these two are very fine.
-/-/-

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
    • Jakov Minić
Thank you Erik and Thomas, much appreciated.
These images were taken during our Black Forrest workshop in September 2015, how time flies... :)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
A comment from the side line: the blur circles are not controlled by camera format, but by absolute aperture and magnification. Thus the same lens, focused to the same distance, set to the same aperture, will make the same background blur. An easy prediction to verify experimentally.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
A comment from the side line: the blur circles are not controlled by camera format, but by absolute aperture and magnification. Thus the same lens, focused to the same distance, set to the same aperture, will make the same background blur. An easy prediction to verify experimentally.

I was about to say that, great that you did Bjorn!!
formerly known as kds315

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
Examples of the $200 Zenit 85/1.5.
Thanks to Erik it meters properly with its dedicated CPU :)

Jakov,

I really like the second photograph in this post!

Dave

simsurace

• NG Member

I was also to point this out, but then I was prevented by a general laziness. :D
You formulated it as simply and elegantly as possible.
This simple realization is very powerful, since it will tell you at any time how big your blur circles are.
You want to separate a subject from its background? You want your bokeh balls to be a certain size? By invoking this principle you will know in a heartbeat (or two) which lens and aperture to pick.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
I love the soap bubble images in this thread.

@Fons, which 35mm f/1.4 lens ist this?

Daniel, i cant remember either the 35mm f/1.4g, which i think it is or the 35mm f/1.4 ais, but concerning the bokeh they are similar, all shot wide open obviously,

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
It may be worth adding that the blur circle will appear proportionally bigger when a smaller format is used, in the same way a given lens appears proportionally "longer" (narrower angle of view) on smaller formats.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
    • Jakov Minić
Jakov,

I really like the second photograph in this post!

Dave

Thank you David :)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
It may be worth adding that the blur circle will appear proportionally bigger when a smaller format is used, in the same way a given lens appears proportionally "longer" (narrower angle of view) on smaller formats.

Yes, this issue can be perceived in that manner. However, due to different physical sizes of the sensors, different pixel dimensions, and so on, making a direct comparison to show the real size of the blur circles can be quite an undertaking. Knowing they indeed are equal sized can be helpful :D

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
Big bubbles with a 300 2.8

David H. Hartman

• NG Member

What will change is a longer lens will often be selected for the larger format to have a similar angle of view and perspective. For example compare the blur circles one can achieve with a 70/2.8 lens on DX with those one can achieve with a 105/2.8 or 2.5 lens on FX. If larger blur circles are wanted try a 180/4.0 lens on 6x6/6x4.5 format.

**Anyway when I got an FX Nikon I got my beloved 105/2.5 Nikkor back.

Dave

---

There are many variables here but a basic priciple here is use a longer lens on a larger format to get bigger blur circles relative to the subject.

---

**I can only imagine the joy of owning a 105mm f/1.4 lens!