Author Topic: Nikon F3T Limited Edition  (Read 2874 times)

RonVol

• NG Member
  • Fierce Koala Bear of the Great Southern Land
Nikon F3T Limited Edition
« on: March 16, 2017, 22:31:09 »
Not too many people know about this kit.
Back in 1982 and before the launch of the new F3 Titanium; EPOI (Nikon USA) was able to pre-order the first 300 F3T bodies to come off the production line. They also ordered 300 Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 lenses that would have matching serial numbers to the first 300 F3T bodies. A wooden display-box in walnut finish was added to the kit which then became known as the F3T Limited Edition. The kits were supplied with a certificate of authenticity signed by the Executive Vice President of EPOI at the time, Jack Abrams.

Here are some shots of set #16.................the 16th F3T to roll off the production line and a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 with a matching serial number to the body.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Nikon F3T Limited Edition
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 22:52:49 »
Super nice set! I recall hearing about it  :D  A collectors dream
Erik Lund

jd1566

• NG Member
  • Catch the light
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 14:25:11 »
More pics please!!

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 09:56:41 »
I love the F3 so much. it is the best handling camera for me. I had my best-looking F3 signed by prof. Goto himself. he told me that the camera played a very important part in his career. :o :o :o

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 10:23:45 »
My all-time favourite Nikon was the F2T. Nearly unbreakable, superb handling in the field. Never liked the F3 in any of its many disguises, although I have used them all including the F3T. Just goes to show the human mindsets are incomprehensible and impossible to predict.

The Limited Edition series must be the wet dream of avid Nikon collectors. One can only imagine what price these kits might fetch.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 10:44:42 »
It is not that the Nikon F3 was such a bad camera - it was very good in fact - however it was more the case that the Nikon F2 was simply fantastic.

Actually I believe that the Pentax LX was a better machine than the F3 back then.

Ron, nice photos of the F3T.  Thanks for sharing.
Hugh Gunn

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 11:22:12 »
I didn't care for the F3 when it came out. I bought a third F2. Years later I bought an F3 HP and replaced the DE-3 prism with a DE-2. I found the F3 (non-HP) offered me the best viewfinder experience of any single digit Nikon SLR from the F to the F5. I can see the whole frame despite wearing glasses and the DE-2 offer higher viewfinder magnification than most excepting the FM/FE family of Nikon cameras. 

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 00:55:44 »
I found the F3 (non-HP) offered me the best viewfinder experience of any single digit Nikon SLR from the F to the F5. I can see the whole frame despite wearing glasses and the DE-2 offer higher viewfinder magnification than most excepting the FM/FE family of Nikon cameras.

I share the same experience.  I loved the DE-2 even though I ware glasses.

My only complaint was that the viewfinder is a bit dark due to the pinholes that let the light to the metering photodiode.  The viewfinder of FM2 was a tad brighter.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira