Author Topic: I've fallen for manual focus lenses and I blame all of you!  (Read 42433 times)

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: I've fallen for manual focus lenses and I blame all of you!
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 03:32:19 »
Yeah, a droopy hood can be a pain - never had the 105/2.5 AIS hood be a problem through.  And yes you can get a nice reversible snap in hood, but I hate having extra stuff to keep track of, especially when up in the mountains.  Built-ins never get lost, are more compact, and stay out of the way when I don't want them.

I actually use a Nikon snap-in hood for my 180/4 Voigt and it fits like a glove when reversed - and looks right at home with the chrome and black.
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 06:13:55 »
I leave the HN-7, HS-8 and HS-14 hoods in place in the shooting possition at all times and cap them with Tupperware #G Tumbler caps. There is one exception and that's the 105/2.8 AIS Micro when the hood might interfer with light on the subject. I don't like to mess with hoods and I don't like to shoot without them. I don't even reverse the hood on my AF-S 105/2.8G ED-IF VR Micro. My secret fear is Nikon will release a replacement for that lens that is both smaller and apochromatic and I won't be able to afford it.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 09:15:56 »
Perfect Match. ;) I prefer the older Ai or eben better the P-Auto-Version. Slightly other colors due to other Coating?
Some pictures on FLICKR

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 10:22:11 »
That specimen was the last of the non-multicoated versions of the 105/2.5. Yet it had the modern optical formula. Before the AI, there was a lens like yours labelled P.C to indicate it had received multi-coating.

These intermediary lenses can be differentiated by help of their black barrels, hill-and-dale focusing rings, and an f/32 setting.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 11:07:32 »
I remember the first time I looked through a 105mm lens (105/2.5 Nikkor-P Sonar) it just looked right. It was at Gayson's Camera in Glendale, California. That was about 1971 I guess. I traded a 135/2.8 Nikkor-Q I'd only owned over night. I traded straight across, lens for lens and was very pleased. 

A very versatile set of lenses for me is 50~55mm, 105mm and 24mm. Today my only AF-S lenses are 20/1.8G, 50/1.8G and 105/2.8G ED-IF VR Micro. I can without much loss crop the 20/1.8 back to an angle of view of a 24mm lens with my D800.

Can anyone compare a 24/2.8 AI and 24/2.8 AIS with the latest Super IC coatings for worst case sun in the upper right or left corner of the frame? Preferably without a filter. My current 24/2.8 AI Nikkor gives 12 small, harsh ghosts under this condition. I wonder if Super IC coating makes a meaningful improvement.

Dave

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 12:47:15 »
I take the blame partly although my triggers were Bjørn and Fons clearly.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 13:40:10 »
While the outside looks like it might have been used to hammer nails, the glass was in almost perfect shape.

Then 2 sample images from a walk around my neighborhood.  Nothing special photographically, but just a test as adapted on the Olympus PEN-F.

Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 13:41:18 »
That was an almost pristine 105 compared to some of mine :D

They really stand up to hard use.

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 13:49:08 »
Indeed they must.  Other than cosmetics, the focus ring is still buttery smooth and the aperture ring has good, positive clicks.  It just feels "right' and "good" while in use.  Not something I tend to feel as much using modern glass.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 14:13:33 »
Nikon Df and friends ... All CPU-modified of course for maximum compatibility and ease of use.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 18:56:13 »
Wow. Bjørn CPU modified a Lenovo (friend of Df)  ... just gorgeous!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 20:04:28 »
Nah, that was incidental - it only had SSD and RAM upgrade ...

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2017, 20:16:03 »
Can anyone compare a 24/2.8 AI and 24/2.8 AIS with the latest Super IC coatings for worst case sun in the upper right or left corner of the frame? Preferably without a filter. My current 24/2.8 AI Nikkor gives 12 small, harsh ghosts under this condition. I wonder if Super IC coating makes a meaningful improvement.
Is your 24/2.8 AI a native AI lens or an AI converted lens? I use the older K 24/2.8 with AI conversion - a very nice lens but don't point it into the sun as you get a lot of green ghosts. The AI/AIS versions have a different optical formula. I think Bjørn's old reviews state the newer suffers less from ghosts, but more from general flare.

Anyway, I think I have the lenses required to make the exact comparison, if I have time this weekend I'll post some results. It will be interesting to see how much of a difference the newer coating makes.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2017, 20:27:28 »
Is your 24/2.8 AI a native AI lens or an AI converted lens?

My 24/2.8 AI is a native AI not converted with a serial number in the 55311X range. I bought it new 1979-03-15 at a price of $296.80 in 1979 US dollars. The price would include sales tax.

I get 12 ghost without a filter and 13 with. It's not a lens to turn into the sun.

Dave

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2017, 04:51:53 »
I have a 24/2.8 of similar vintage. Green coatings. Ghosts in the same way. It was my favorite for two decades.