Author Topic: I've fallen for manual focus lenses and I blame all of you!  (Read 42429 times)

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
It's a good blame, mind you.

Even back in the film days when I started, I was lucky that AF was very good and I was able to use them for all my work succesfully.

Into this day and age, the AF systems being what they are (Nikon D500 is crazy good).....I often wondered why I would even want to consider a manual focus lens.
Well, I was reading posts here and seeing the images from the results from lenses like Nikon AI and AIs lens 105mm, 135mm.

I had opportunity to snag a well used version of the 105mm f/2.5 AIs for cheap.  While the outside looks like it has seen quite a bit of hell, the focus and aperture ring feel great and the glass is in immaculate shape.

I put it on the Nikon Df and also adapted it to the Olympus PEN-F.   So easy to get focus, such a joy to work with and given the age of them, such a great IQ even wide open.

So, now, I've fallen down the rabbit hole of manual focus Nikkor lenses.

One of my local camera shops has a used Nikkor 55mm f/1.2 for $400.....I'm going to do some research on that lens and see if it is worth the price to me. 
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
Re: I've fallen for manual focus lenses and I blame all of you!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 15:55:15 »
Me too ;)
Now I am working out which of my MF lenses works best on my different bodies (D700,D500,D800), even the much talk about the Df is tempting, but the prices are to high :o

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 16:10:52 »
MF for fun and studio stuff, AF for work.

The way to go!  ;)
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 18:23:49 »
this 105/2.8!? :o :o :o
http://richardhaw.com/2017/02/19/repair-micro-nikkor-105mm-f2-8-ai-s/

I'm so sorry, but no.  I mistyped.  It is a 105mm f/2.5

I'll correct the original post.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 19:24:59 »
The 105/2.5 Nikkor is synergetic with the Df. The designers planned the lens for that [future]  camera, or at least had pre-cog capability :D

The rabbit-hole is deep indeed, and there might be a Wonderland at its end.

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 20:56:06 »
The 105/2.5 Nikkor is synergetic with the Df. The designers planned the lens for that [future]  camera, or at least had pre-cog capability :D

The rabbit-hole is deep indeed, and there might be a Wonderland at its end.

Indeed....you are absolutely correct.  I was a little taken aback by just how well the Df and 105mm worked together.  The IQ even wide open was not something I expected.   I figured I'd need to shoot it at f/4 or 5.6 to get something usable.  Imagine my surprise when I tested it in the store and was getting excellent images wide open.

Given the rock bottom prices some of these lenses can be found for....I definitely see a few more in my future.
Andrew

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 20:57:00 »
It's a good blame, mind you.

Even back in the film days when I started, I was lucky that AF was very good and I was able to use them for all my work succesfully.

Into this day and age, the AF systems being what they are (Nikon D500 is crazy good).....I often wondered why I would even want to consider a manual focus lens.
Well, I was reading posts here and seeing the images from the results from lenses like Nikon AI and AIs lens 105mm, 135mm.

I had opportunity to snag a well used version of the 105mm f/2.5 AIs for cheap.  While the outside looks like it has seen quite a bit of hell, the focus and aperture ring feel great and the glass is in immaculate shape.

I put it on the Nikon Df and also adapted it to the Olympus PEN-F.   So easy to get focus, such a joy to work with and given the age of them, such a great IQ even wide open.

So, now, I've fallen down the rabbit hole of manual focus Nikkor lenses.

One of my local camera shops has a used Nikkor 55mm f/1.2 for $400.....I'm going to do some research on that lens and see if it is worth the price to me.

I fell for MF Nikkors a long time ago and hardly touch my zooms.  In fact even with my non-Nikon gear I'm using primes or MF primes (Loxias specifically).
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 21:52:09 »
Another good thing about the "properly assembled" MF lens is that its infinity stop is trusty, which is a great help to
shoot distant scenes.

As for 105/2.5, I prefer non-Ais versions because of their longer focus throw.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 22:10:34 »
105/2.5 AI also has curved aperture blades to give a more rounded and nice bokeh.

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 23:40:37 »
105/2.5 AI also has curved aperture blades to give a more rounded and nice bokeh.

If only they'd made it with the built-in hood like the AI-S has . . . still one of my favorite lenses for sure.  Made some great images of my girls with my 105/2.5 AIS over the years, even with having to guess the critical focus using the AF-confirm dot on my D800.  On my A7RII this is a great lens to use.
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 00:21:21 »
The hood of the AIS 105/2.5 is short and wobbly. I prefer to use a more solid screw-in hood, or no hood at all and shade the front lens with my hand if necessary.

I use manual lenses almost exclusively with my D600. *IF* I can focus correctly, most will give good results even at 24MP. I do miss a lot of shots due to focusing errors though, which is a little frustrating. I might have to try live view more often, but that usually calls for tripod work which is not often practical.

I have noticed that most manual lenses are not well corrected for LoCA so in areas of high contrast you have to live with green edges around background blurs, and purple in the foreground.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 00:27:46 »
I love mine a lot. I think I have 5 of these. :o :o :o

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 00:48:41 »
I love 105 mm lenses - must have every model Nikon ever made of this focal length. Well, not the 105/2.8 AFS VR Micro, I got rid of that one quickly in favour of the 125/2.5 APO-Lanthar. But I do have every version of the 105/2.5 from the '50s onwards. My favourite of the f/2.5 lenses is the AI, but the P.C and K versions just prior to the AI are nice too. The sharpest of them is the UV-Nikkor 105/4.5, but this lens isn't really suited as an all-round lens even when its steep price is ignored.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 02:59:23 »
I don't bother with the built-in hoods with the 105/2.5 AIS or the 135/2.8 AIS. They reduce illumination in the corners a touch and if they droop too much they may cause a black corner.

The Nikon HS-8 and 14 are snap on hoods that work great on the 105/2.5 AIS. I'm not sure about the HS-8 but the HS-14 works on the 135/2.8:AIS and is the designated hood for the 105/2.8 AIS Micro-Nikkor and can be reversed.

The snap on Nikon hoods with chrome buttons are good for collectors but my experience is they fall of easily. The later snap on hoods can be screwed a bit tighter and stay put. The later ones have a black plastic slide.

There is an HN-7 hood that a bit short for the 105/2.5(s) but it's a screw in only hood. I know there are pure screw in hoods for 105mm and 135mm Nikkor lenses. I'm not sure of the designation.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!