Author Topic: I've fallen for manual focus lenses and I blame all of you!  (Read 42815 times)

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: I've fallen for manual focus lenses and I blame all of you!
« Reply #195 on: December 29, 2018, 06:52:09 »
I have started poking around a bit, looking for a 20mm Nikkor of some sort.  I'll target the Ai 3.5 if that's the best price/performance option. 
I do have a 50mm f/1.8 in the AF series but I've read the earlier metal Ai-S version is the superior version.  I have the AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D.  I get the impression it isn't that well liked, but I've been happy with my copy.  I've read that the Ai-S version is considered a better performer.  I'll start to look for these MF lenses when I've recovered from my holiday spending.  :-)

I was interested that you mentioned the 135mm f/3.5 Ai.  Do you feel this lens is superior/different enough compared to my pre-Ai f/2.8 version that it's worth finding one to replace my f/2.8 or duplicating the focal length in my collection?

My pre-Ai lenses will go out to Mr. White this coming week.  In the mean time, I'll be experimenting with my latest AF acquisition: an AF ED Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 one-touch zoom.  So far, I'm impressed by its performance and depressed by its weight!
I had both the AI-S 20/2.8 and AI 20/3.5 at one point. I kept the 20/3.5 because was a better fit in my lens kit - it is more compact and the 52mm filter size is the same as my other lenses. It is a little soft in the corners at infinity (the 20/2.8 is sharper) but is fine for landscapes by f/8 or f/11, and is excellent at medium - close distances. It is also quite resistant to flare when shooting into the sun. There is a noticeable barrel distortion which flattens out towards the edges so take care when shooting straight lines near the edge of the frame.

The "long nose" AI and AI-S 50/1.8 has a different optical design from the AF 50/1.8, which is based on the series-E and AI-S "pancake" versions. I think sharpness is about the same, but the AI/AI-S version renders backgrounds smoother.

My impression of the the AI 135/3.5 is that it has better sharpness and contrast than the Nikkor-Q 135/3.5, but the older lens is still a good lens and it has smoother rendition. I haven't had a chance to shoot the pre-AI 135/2.8 versions yet, but the older multicoated versions do have a good reputation. The AI 135/3.5 is also much more compact, and it focuses closer (1.3m vs 1.5m) which is useful.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #196 on: December 29, 2018, 08:05:26 »
At one time, I had the 135/2.8 Ai (the later, small one that was offered as K/Ai/AiS), the 135/3.5 Ai, and the 135/2 AiS on hand.
All gave extremely similar image quality at the same stops.
I kept the 135/3.5 Ai.  I'd like a smallish 135/2.8 that has better axial CA correction than any of these Nikkors, but the only such lens in the current market is the gigantic Zeiss 135/2.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

MarcelvanEngen

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #197 on: December 29, 2018, 12:26:15 »
Mf is still alive.
All these old MF lenses are made with character and are able to give such joy and satisfaction when shooting. Just came back from Japan. I travelled with only 3 old mf lenses which was a gamble.
Now looking back I am so happy I did. (20mm UD, 50mm, 135mm Q)

For those in Europe/UK I provide modification service slightly more in keeping aka you do not see that a modification was performed once mounted. Suitable specially for Df and others high end Nikon's.
See also: http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,2650.msg114644.html#msg114644
For those interested send me a message. More than willing to help out.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #198 on: December 29, 2018, 14:40:24 »
wow, the look you got from the woman carrying the mac

yes she looks like having a bad day and you just made it worse 😂🤣😂🤣😂😁
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #199 on: December 29, 2018, 14:47:38 »
Mf is still alive.
All these old MF lenses are made with character and are able to give such joy and satisfaction when shooting. Just came back from Japan. I travelled with only 3 old mf lenses which was a gamble.
Now looking back I am so happy I did. (20mm UD, 50mm, 135mm Q)

For those in Europe/UK I provide modification service slightly more in keeping aka you do not see that a modification was performed once mounted. Suitable specially for Df and others high end Nikon's.
See also: http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,2650.msg114644.html#msg114644
For those interested send me a message. More than willing to help out.

very beautiful cat in window. sensitive shot

You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #200 on: December 29, 2018, 16:41:45 »
An example of the 85mm f/2 AI ! An old frame stuck on the wall in Paris... With the Df ;)

“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #201 on: December 29, 2018, 17:19:13 »
And another example of the 135mm f/2.8 Q on the DF... This time converted in B&W. It's the "Observatoire de Paris" were our scientists mingle to chat about Astronomy... ::)

“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #202 on: December 29, 2018, 18:05:30 »
The 135/2.8  QC  on the Nikon D850  (Had all 135 versions of the 2.8 and 3.5 but found the 2.8 QC the best and kept it)

Posted earlier in  http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,8049.240.html

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #203 on: December 29, 2018, 18:15:15 »
Great shot of the cyclist in the mist...  ;)

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #204 on: December 29, 2018, 22:44:12 »
I seem to be  having posting problems suddenly.  I was going to mention that though I like the 135/2.8Q, I find it for some reason harder to hand hold and focus than either the 105/2.5 or the 200/4.  That latter seems to snap into focus easily, and with a bunch of extension tubes, it makes a surprisingly good lens for chasing bugs.  Anyway, the 135 works ok when there's enough light and a tripod, but it seems difficult to get sharply focused, at least on a DX format camera. 

I do, however, like the way it does muted colors like browns and grays.  BAck when I was shooting a lot of film, I may have been one of the very few people who really liked Velvia 100F film, because it did those earth tones so well.  I didn't have the 135 then, but I imagine it would have been just right with that.  If it loads properly, here's a quickie backyard shot which may not show what I mean exactly in JPG and web form, but I really like those earth tones, and I can imagine that this lens would work very well in proper black and white, too.

still won't load.  I have downsized it to 1000/666.....third try coming up.....

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #205 on: December 29, 2018, 22:51:11 »
Failure to post images usually is caused by illegal characters in file name, or file size being bigger than the current upper limit (2MB).

Try saving a file with a slightly lower jpg quality next time. That solves most issues. We also recommend keeping pixel dimensions well within say 2000 x 1300 pix. Any bigger is a waste of everything including screen rendition.

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #206 on: December 30, 2018, 12:31:20 »
At a chance to play a little bit with the 85/2.  Bitter cold, so wasnt out long.

Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #207 on: December 30, 2018, 12:34:03 »
Also got a Helios 44-2.  58mm was recently introduced to me via the Nikon 58mm f/1.4.  I really liked the focal length.

Still trying to find the "swirly bokeh" on this thing, though.  Again to cold to be out long, hope to have more time to experiment.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Member
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #208 on: December 30, 2018, 13:57:34 »
Helios is looking nice rendering although a bit uderexosed

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #209 on: December 30, 2018, 23:04:52 »
Helios is looking nice rendering although a bit uderexosed

True. Still trying to get used to it.  Although the light was much more like the Helios image than the Nikon 85/1.8.  that one was a bit brighter than the actual light. 

The Df metered and exposed as I expected it to with the 85mm, but with the Helios, it frequently exposed weirdly. 
Andrew