Author Topic: Russian space lens ZIKAR-1A  (Read 2726 times)

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
Russian space lens ZIKAR-1A
« on: October 04, 2018, 17:04:03 »
Now this is a really, really rare lens:

ZIKAR-1A, from the russian space defence program, to detect fired rockets aiming at the (then) USSR from about 45.000 km away, mounted at some camera system from a satellite in orbit around earth. It is a catadioptric system with two Beryllium mirrors, f1.2/100mm and some fluorite aux. lenses. Several such systems were successfully launched into space and were in operation several years long.

Now the interesting part is, that this mirror lens transmits rather flat down to 320nm (then steep cut downwards), my spectrometer tells me. A f1.2/100mm for UV !!

formerly known as kds315

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Russian space lens ZIKAR-1A
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 17:10:02 »
What about the register distance -- room enough to get infinity focus with your m43 cameras?

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 17:13:36 »
What about the register distance -- room enough to get infinity focus with your m43 cameras?

Working on it: This is the tricky part, there is no mechanical thread etc. so I have to have my mechanic built a clamp for it.
We'll see soon...
formerly known as kds315

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 21:39:33 »
Do you think that the ZIKAR-1A shot film in the satellite, or did it operate in the later CCD era?
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 23:19:58 »
Klaus, thank you for sharing!

I'm also interested in the size of the image circle.  Hope it is of enough size!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 00:12:54 »
Or a Z7?

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 11:00:14 »
Do you think that the ZIKAR-1A shot film in the satellite, or did it operate in the later CCD era?

It was in the 70s, so it was a TV transmission unit installed, so no film based anymore.

Klaus, thank you for sharing!

I'm also interested in the size of the image circle.  Hope it is of enough size!

looks like approx. 32mm, so enough for APS-C, but no FF

Or a Z7?

Possibly, if I decide to get one...

formerly known as kds315

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 17:39:10 »
Worth noting that the Z7 exhibits banding due to the phase detection AF pixels. This is the same thing that plagues the Sony a6xxx series cameras. It appears mostly in darker areas when you lift the shadows, and sometimes in extreme contrast situations. I returned my two a6000s and certainly won't be looking for a Z series camera unless they do something about that.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 09:22:19 »
Worth noting that the Z7 exhibits banding due to the phase detection AF pixels. This is the same thing that plagues the Sony a6xxx series cameras. It appears mostly in darker areas when you lift the shadows, and sometimes in extreme contrast situations. I returned my two a6000s and certainly won't be looking for a Z series camera unless they do something about that.

Thanks for letting me know Toby, wasn't aware of this!
formerly known as kds315

FredCrowBear

• NG Supporter
  • Frederick V. Ramsey
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 04:24:26 »
Very cool and very cool history!
Frederick V. Ramsey

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 10:16:47 »

Nevermind that banding appear in particular instances and only when the shadows are raised up to 4 stops.

But, I guess it is a non starter for any photographer who raises his shadows in post by 4 stops. But  then again to each his own.