Author Topic: Swamp  (Read 3682 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Swamp
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 22:01:19 »
Zutty,

I generally like the photographs you post but this one is pretty much a pass for me. It's divided into four quadrens and so it's quite static. The decaying fence might have been the focus but it not prominent in the picture.

I hope this helps. I'm sorry this one didn't work for me.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Peter

• "Remember You can only use one eye at a time"
  • NG Member
  • Los Alamos, New Mexico
Re: Swamp
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 05:05:56 »
I have to agree on this I also noticed it received 17 views on Flickr since 2014 with zero faves and no reply. On the other hand I looked over your Flickr photos and you have a few that stand out well.
There are a million +1 photographers sprouting up every year with the Digital camera and stunning software now days it's a fierce competition 24/7 to be noticed. Not like the film days when it was more than shooting off a roll of film and deciding on development times, temps, chemicals and print. Back in the day the Art went beyond just composition it also went into the dark room as well.
You need to take the heat if you want to advance your skills and your photo eye, I am always critical on myself it's never good enough what could I have done better If I moved closer or used this lens??????
I have thousands of transparencies I produced years ago and when looking them over now twenty some odd years later i say "What was I thinking"? so a few dozen are now in my Great (Could be better), Good and OK category.
I was a National graphic baby my dad was a subscriber so that was my platform for how a great photo should be as well as I need a Nikon!! :D You look over photos published in say 1980 NG and look what is being produced now is a true wake up call of how advanced photography has become. I always am saying to myself "if only my eye was attached to a camera" it's not going to happen anytime soon so you have to look, know and evaluate everything before you push that button. Remember "it's never good enough that will keep the fire burning". My opinion I would have watched the weather the light and angle, but first look closer at what you want to be your main focal point or subject and what will lead your eye down that path to the subject. The background is the distraction as well but mainly the sky flat overcast can be your friend or foe. You have a photo on Flicker of a tree with snow and sunset or sunrise, the light house and a few others that follow some of this rule. I would have put on a pair of waders and worked my way around those dock pillions or post get low to the ground and look when the light was at it's magic hour!! Look over your older photos and think about what I am saying.
And remember "It's never good enough" so learn to take the heat and learn from it to be better, criticism can be your friend.