Swamp
« on: March 12, 2017, 09:59:12 »

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Swamp
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 10:20:13 »
This picture is put up for critique -- firstly, exposure is not well controlled, light is flat  and sky is almost blown out. Secondly, composition is vague and apparently has not been critically evaluated as this surely looks like a straight-on snapshot.  No consideration has been given to what the important details of the subject might be, so the viewer has to guess why the picture was taken in the first place. Focus is off for the foreground, perhaps caused by a central AF point?

You can do so much better than this. Try to discuss with yourself the 'why', 'where' and 'when' of the image-taking process, than finally address the 'how'.

zutty

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 11:14:30 »
I appreciate your input Bjorn, if a bit harsh. May I please see some of your photos so that I can see some of your work?

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 19:14:49 »
I appreciate your input Bjorn, if a bit harsh. May I please see some of your photos so that I can see some of your work?

Zutty,

Click on his name to open his profile, then click "show posts" then "attachments". You can browse through the images he has shared here.

My critique on your photo is that you are too far away. I'm sure you saw something in that scene. I'm quite guilty of trying to capture a place by backing up enough to get it all in. In the process I lose it all. There are a few places nearby which I keep trying to capture, but keep failing at, and I think the reason is that the subject is on the other side of a rather boring body of water. This puts it out of visual reach and leaves just some bluish stuff in the middle of the frame. I see a similar thing happening here.

This photo is too far away to show anything about that place which makes it feel like a swamp. Or maybe as Bjorn says, you aren't really sure what it is meant to show. Try moving into the scene. Being on your hands and knees in the muck will give you better opportunities to really show something about what the place is like.

null

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 19:50:16 »
It looks like a high cloud layer caused the sky to mostly "white-out".

I would have tried a Polarizing filter to bring out more color in the sky;
or a deep red filter for a monochrome shot.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 20:18:32 »
Just to be clear, the first summing up on the picture was *not harsh* at all. You understand this easily if you read through the post. A few basic points were addressed and dealt with.

If my own images are of interest, which really haven't the slightest bearing on the present critique, they can be seen here on NG or for example on https://www.flickr.com/photos/132961550@N03/

null

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 21:58:17 »
This thread, what is "harsh criticism" vs "Not harsh at all"- is most probably due to the forum being in English and most members having English as a second language. As a native English speaker, Bjorn's post comes across as being "harsh".  As far as the image is concerned, it is often difficult to understand how the photographer saw the original scene and wanted to convey it.

Personally- this sort of issue is why I never put images up for critique. I might put a shot up taken with a hacked lens, to see what people think of the random combination of optical elements- but that is about it.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 22:04:13 »
If honest observations are "harsh", meaningful critique is dead from the get-go. Any critique has to provide suggestions or draw attention to problems, not just provide pats on the back. The latter is not helpful for anyone.

zutty

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 02:06:45 »
Just to be clear, the first summing up on the picture was *not harsh* at all. You understand this easily if you read through the post. A few basic points were addressed and dealt with.

If my own images are of interest, which really haven't the slightest bearing on the present critique, they can be seen here on NG or for example on https://www.flickr.com/photos/132961550@N03/
Bjorn, In order for me to respect your opinion of my work, I simply need to see your work so that I may view where you are coming from. All criticism of any art form is simply an opinion and only that. I do not take any offense at constructive criticism as long as I respect the giver of it.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 04:23:51 »
If honest observations are "harsh", meaningful critique is dead from the get-go. Any critique has to provide suggestions or draw attention to problems, not just provide pats on the back. The latter is not helpful for anyone.
As an Architect who has endured many critiques of my work, I completely agree with your statement. The very point of critique is to improve, so if there is no direction forward from the critique why bother?

But not all critique need be negative. Pointing out what was done well is also useful to the receiver and can help them build on it.

Honesty - as you say - is the important part. Your critique of the swamp was rather mild in my opinion and offered a very helpful suggestion.

null

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 10:10:04 »

You can do so much better than this. Try to discuss with yourself the 'why', 'where' and 'when' of the image-taking process, than finally address the 'how'.

Bjorn- this is the language that you use when your kid comes in with a "D" on a math test, not when giving a critique. Whether "Harsh" fits it exactly, or not- it is the problem with your tone in the critique. "

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 10:25:58 »
Is there a specific point of derailing the discussion?

Photography entails so much more than just pressing the shutter release or uploading to a web site. First and foremost, one has to clarify 'why' the image is taken, with all ramifications that follow.

The photograph can never be an expression of art unless the photographer is fully committed to the work and what it conveys to others.

If you insist on being evaluated solely by your peers, chances are you never exploit your potential to the fullest. However, you'll get a lot of 'likes'.

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 11:51:39 »
For me, there are two problems with this picture.

The first is that there are many elements that compete -- perhaps too many. The wooden structures look quite interesting, but they are not prominent enough to be the main focus. Getting to a different vantage point with a longer lens might yield interesting results. The idea of a swamp gets lost a little bit, the shape of the framed portion of the water body is not very geometrically attractive, and I'm slightly irritated by the water 'flowing' out through the lower right corner. The distant tree line is attractive, but too far away or too cluttered by the foreground elements to become the main focus. There is a railway track on the right as well, whose importance is questionable. So my eye keeps jumping back and forth between the different elements. I think there can be successful pictures with that many elements, but you want to arrange them carefully within the frame. It is only possible to do this if you are inside the swamp where you can move about, using perspective to weigh the different elements within the frame.

The second problem is tonality and color palette. I think the light was unconducive to this scene to begin with, and you may want to return on a clear day when the light is low to get more contrast. I think the shadows are lifted too much, resulting in a washed-out appearance. As Bjørn remarked earlier, the sky seems to be blown out. If you can post a flat RAW conversion, it might be easier for us to tell whether the problems are due to processing, or whether the original capture already had those problems.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

null

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 21:12:45 »
Is there a specific point of derailing the discussion?

The discussion- at the point when I made the post before yours, had already veered into the "Harsh" and "not harsh, should have read my post".

So no derailing occurred on my part. If you had read the thread, you would have understood that.

If you do not like the tone taken in my post, don't use it in your own.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 21:35:43 »
Sigh.

People should read http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,315.0.html

Preferably before derailing the discussion.

Brian, you haven't provided your full name in your profile. Please correct.