Author Topic: The Fuji GFX50s for Gearheads  (Read 12951 times)

simsurace

• NG Member
Re: The Fuji GFX50s for Gearheads
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2017, 15:01:26 »
BTW I also by far prefer to capture my images at ISO 64 disregarding  ETTR or ETTL,,,
Of course. My point is (and this is why I bring this up in the context of Micheal chasing the holy grail of sensor performance) that if you consistently underexpose your images, even at ISO 64, you are not exploiting the potential of your sensor, and by far. E.g. if you consistently underexpose by two stops (compared to ETTR), you could improve your DR by almost 2 stops (I say almost because you have to be careful not to blow anything, so it's usually worth stopping a bit earlier unless you are tethering and can see your RAW histogram while shooting) without buying any new piece of gear.

To get the same performance, you could also wait a decade or two until they release cameras with a base ISO of 16, if that will ever happen, just so you can continue exposing the same way (i.e. two stops under).
Anyway, we won't get 16 stops of dynamic range with a 14 bit ADC, however you define DR.

In summary, my point is that if you are trying to squeeze every last tenth of a stop of DR from your gear, you cannot afford NOT to apply ETTR.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2017, 15:08:35 »
There is a lot between the lines here,,, and I believe all interested are familiar with ETTR so let's keep at the topic at hand before this derails too much ;)

Please share if and when you see reports on the GFX,,,
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2017, 16:37:21 »
Here a Danish review,,, Did I mention the shadows,,, yes they are gone  :o

https://jonasraskphotography.com/2017/01/19/the-fujifilm-gfx-50s-review-portable-beast/
Erik Lund

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2017, 16:48:36 »

https://jonasraskphotography.com/2017/01/19/the-fujifilm-gfx-50s-review-portable-beast/

very nice photography

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2017, 16:53:18 »

This seems to be his style, judging from the portfolio.
He had no RAWs to work with on the computer.
Now ACR 9.9 seems to support the GFX 50s files.
If anyone cares to put some RAWs on a dropbox folder, I would love to play with them a little bit.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2017, 20:20:04 »
Dpreview posted some samples (jpeg).  Hi-res, but pretty much as expected.  I'm not sure how the IQ compares with that of D810 or A7RII with excellent sensors.  I'm curious about the test result of DXOmarks.  They have ignored the Trans-X sensros but would not ignore GFX.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/6143051542/fujifilm-gfx-50s-on-the-streets-of-tokyo-a-shooting-experience
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2017, 23:04:19 »
Again very very dark shadows blocking,,, in all images
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2017, 23:05:58 »
This seems to be his style, judging from the portfolio.
He had no RAWs to work with on the computer.
Now ACR 9.9 seems to support the GFX 50s files.
If anyone cares to put some RAWs on a dropbox folder, I would love to play with them a little bit.
Funny since he is talking about exposing really hot on the x-trans sensor blowing out highs, ETTR,,,
Erik Lund

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2017, 23:35:11 »
Well, I would not put too much weight on this. It seems that he is working a lot with film simulation modes. Most of them will bump the contrast quite a bit, i.e. they are far away from a 'flat' profile. ETTR mandates a flat profile and unitary white balance, otherwise you never now whether the raw file has been clipped or not.
He says
All the images for this review are jpegs that I have “developed” in the in camera RAW converter. At the time of testing there was no way for me to use the RAW files. So all the images you see here are straight from camera jpegs. Now isn’t that something!
and
The one thing that struck me most about the IQ was the incredible dynamics of the files. The colors are abundantly clear and rich. The textures are vibrant and lively and the in/out of focus transitions are a sight to behold. All of this naturally comes from a larger physical sensor, but also due to the image processing power of the GFX.
This is a very warm appraisal of the technical qualities of the camera, but it's hard to see what is going on below the hood. I understand that he is quite fond of the JPEG output of the camera. We have known this about Fuji for quite some time; they produce great JPEGs out of camera.

The color processing and the film simulations that you can use with the GFX is great for nature and landscape photography. This is clearly one of the strength of larger sensor format cameras.
Here, it is not clear to me what his reasoning is. I don't see the connection between film simulations and sensor size. The same (or very similar) film simulations are also available on Fuji's APS-C cameras.

His shots are quite interesting, but it is hard to extract any information about the real behavior of the sensor.
For that, we will have to wait for some RAWs.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2017, 05:09:16 »
Funny since he is talking about exposing really hot on the x-trans sensor blowing out highs, ETTR,,,

From ny XTrans X100T I can recover highlights like I  have never seen it on any Bayer sensor. ETTR  is easily done if you can recover skin from white up to 3 stops.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2017, 05:14:09 »
After sleeping over Michael's news I feel it is to early to judge.

RAW converters have to mature on this new Sony offering and people need experience with its characteristics to get the most from the files.

As I wait for sinar to make my bellows I will not be an early adopter anyway.

Firmware updates are to be expected too.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2017, 10:25:51 »
After sleeping over Michael's news I feel it is to early to judge.

RAW converters have to mature on this new Sony offering and people need experience with its characteristics to get the most from the files.

As I wait for sinar to make my bellows I will not be an early adopter anyway.

Firmware updates are to be expected too.

I agree with Frank. The GFX is still in the development stage. For me, there were too many variables that required some attention for me to actually use it happily, when the IQ of the Nikon D810 is very close. I will wait for Nikon's D820 or perhaps the rumored Sony 72mm mirrorless camera. While I liked a lot of the features on the GFX, I seem to have had a little culture shock, with the response being how very "nice" the D810 actually is. It is hard to move away from a camera like the D810, unless there are factors that compel one to. I could not find enough of those factors in the GFX, although I am sure that those who stick with the GFX will find a way to be comfortable. My time, right now, is better spent in being more careful with the D810 and seeing if I can't get what I feel I need from that camera.

And it might help to understand that I am really fussy about what cameras I want to invest my time in, aside from any monetary considerations. As an early Internet developer, I am pretty teched out at this point. I have lived on the bleeding edge for some 44 years. These days I am looking for products that work for me more than I work for them. Fine lenses have been my priority, but ultimately I do have to have a camera to mount them on. LOL.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Gigas

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2017, 18:22:11 »
Is there really much to gain from D810 and 36 MP to, let´s say 42-44 in IQ? I struggle with macro images and can get by with my Zeiss 135 and a Raynox 150 on the front. It is not perfect in any way but so far I have nothing better in my drawer. I shoot at ISO 64 but are hard pressed to use f16-20 for that thin DoF. On it´s way is an old bellows lens 105mm f4.0 to be mounted in front of a 105mm f4.0 Ais with the help of a K3 ring and maybe, just maybe that would do it for me. I have been looking for a MF camera and was close to get a Hasselblad H4 and a 120mm macro lens but think it is way to cumbersome to handle in front of the aquarium tank.