Author Topic: The Fuji GFX50s for Gearheads  (Read 12960 times)

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: The Fuji GFX50s for Gearheads
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 19:04:59 »
I figured the 35mm crop factor at .79 for the Fuji 200mm because the Fuji GF 63mm f/2.8 R WR is a 50mm equivalent lens.  So I got the crop factor wrong?

I thought you were talking about the 120/4 noted by bjornthun. Your math is correct, we just appear to be starting from a different point.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 19:18:51 »
I am VERY sorry to report that Diglloyd (Lloyd Chambers), who has received a Fuji GFX, has almost nothing good to say about it, so far. In fact, this may be the most disparaging initial review of a camera I have ever seen him offer.

Since I will receive the camera in a few days, I will see for myself, but it definitely throws a cast on my happy expectations. You can read some of his comments here:

https://diglloyd.com/

If you want to read chapter and verse, as I did, you would have to subscribe to his Medium Format column, which for me is more than worth it. If his comments bear out, I may return the whole system or immediately sell it and retire from the wanting-a-medium-format-camera syndrome... for a while.

On a more positive note, what I need from the GFX is, essentially, what I hoped for in an update for my D810. I don't need a walk-around camera and I seldom use autofocus. I need a good EVF and better LiveView screen than the D810. Since the GFX is so programmable, it may take me a day or two to position the features I actually use so that I can easily get to them. Since I plan to (if all works well) use non-Fuji lenses with an adapter, I may be able to configure the camera for my uses and get some use out of it until Nikon decides to do... something in my behalf.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 19:44:17 »
I think you have it backwards. Field of view of that lens on GFX50 sensor would be same as what you see with a 90mm lens on 24x36mm sensor.

Oh nuts, I'm brain dead! When I figured the crop factor I chose a (as it turns out, mythical) 200mm Fuji lens, instead of the plainly stated 120mm. Don't ask me why I made that stupid switch, no telling what my answer might be.  :(

I was wanting to compare working distances between the Nikon 105 Micro, the Nikon 200 mm Micro,  and this new Fuji lens. Then for some reason 200mm was on my brain. Isn't old age fun.........
Carl

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 19:44:42 »
Neither you nor I are native English speakers, btw.  :o

You can ask any English scholar to find out whether I am correct or not. Your words were already misunderstood by someone else which is why I responded to clarify how people would likely interpret those words. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, and I understand the value of personal expression but I feel one should do one's best to avoid being misunderstood since conversations online get archived and it can be difficult to find the real information if many of the posts are not easily understood. I think forum discussion should be written in such a way that it will be easy to do a search and find the good information that one is looking for, quickly. I realize this is often not the case in practice. However, it is a worthwhile goal in my opinion, and one that I aspire to, even if sometimes it is forgotten.

bjornthun

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 20:18:25 »
I am VERY sorry to report that Diglloyd (Lloyd Chambers), who has received a Fuji GFX, has almost nothing good to say about it, so far. In fact, this may be the most disparaging initial review of a camera I have ever seen him offer.

Since I will receive the camera in a few days, I will see for myself, but it definitely throws a cast on my happy expectations. You can read some of his comments here:

https://diglloyd.com/

If you want to read chapter and verse, as I did, you would have to subscribe to his Medium Format column, which for me is more than worth it. If his comments bear out, I may return the whole system or immediately sell it and retire from the wanting-a-medium-format-camera syndrome... for a while.

On a more positive note, what I need from the GFX is, essentially, what I hoped for in an update for my D810. I don't need a walk-around camera and I seldom use autofocus. I need a good EVF and better LiveView screen than the D810. Since the GFX is so programmable, it may take me a day or two to position the features I actually use so that I can easily get to them. Since I plan to (if all works well) use non-Fuji lenses with an adapter, I may be able to configure the camera for my uses and get some use out of it until Nikon decides to do... something in my behalf.
Someone suggested on another forum that Loyd Chambers might have put the camera into a bracketing mode without realizing it. If it's a firmware bug, Fuji will fix it.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 20:40:26 »
I does sound like a 'auto' bracketing issue or something similar, let see when people start using them for real how the images look like.

They are available as demo units here in Copenhagen.
Erik Lund

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2017, 21:28:56 »
Fujifilm has announced a 120/4 macro, and my guess is that equipped with that lens on the GFX, one will not look back on "full frame" cameras.
It's a little disappointing to note the Fuji 120/4, and the recently announced Hasselblad 120/3.5 macro both only go to 1:2. Put together with the larger sensor size, an FX camera with 1:1 macro lens can crop about 2.4x smaller (linear). These new "medium format" macro lenses won't allow you to get very close... Even my ancient Pentax 645 120/4 macro gets to 1:1, and it has larger coverage, is a more compact lens, and it performs extremely well.

bjornthun

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2017, 22:43:29 »
It's a little disappointing to note the Fuji 120/4, and the recently announced Hasselblad 120/3.5 macro both only go to 1:2. Put together with the larger sensor size, an FX camera with 1:1 macro lens can crop about 2.4x smaller (linear). These new "medium format" macro lenses won't allow you to get very close... Even my ancient Pentax 645 120/4 macro gets to 1:1, and it has larger coverage, is a more compact lens, and it performs extremely well.
The downside to (modern) macro lenses going all the way to 1:1 is, that they do so by shortening the focal length and thus reduce the resulting working distance at 1:1. Hopefully for their users, Fujifilm and Hasselblad will make matched closeup lenses or extension tubes to go to 1:1. The Zeiss 100/2 Makro Planar goes only to 1:2 and maintains its focal length almost completely, and you'll require the Nikon PN-11 to get to 1:1 magnification.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2017, 22:56:03 »
Michael, hope you won't lose any hairs...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

bjornthun

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2017, 23:38:21 »
There are even more adapters coming for the Fuji GFX, namely for Bronica ETRS and Pentax 645 and Pentax 67, according to mirrorlessrumors.

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 02:28:36 »
The downside to (modern) macro lenses going all the way to 1:1 is, that they do so by shortening the focal length and thus reduce the resulting working distance at 1:1. Hopefully for their users, Fujifilm and Hasselblad will make matched closeup lenses or extension tubes to go to 1:1. The Zeiss 100/2 Makro Planar goes only to 1:2 and maintains its focal length almost completely, and you'll require the Nikon PN-11 to get to 1:1 magnification.
True. Even the older medium format macro lenses shorten at close range, the Pentax 645 120/4 macro shortens to about 100mm at 1:1. This still leaves plenty of working distance. I quote the Pentax because I have one, I believe the equivalent Mamiya lens is similar.

By comparison, most common "FX" macro lenses start at 100 or 105mm at infinity, and shorten to less than 80mm at 1:1. At this point the working distance is getting a little short for some subjects. I wonder why slightly longer 120mm macro lenses aren't more common? I can think only of the CV 125/2.5. Lenses in this class would be relatively compact compared to 180/200mm macro lenses, and have a more useful working distance than 100mm macros...

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 14:53:36 »
Fujifilm has announced a 120/4 macro, and my guess is that equipped with that lens on the GFX, one will not look back on "full frame" cameras.

I could have had one today at my brick and mortar for 10.000 Euros with the 120mm and the Body and Viewfinder.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 20:31:57 »
As it Turns Out, No GFX for Me

I am sorry to report that after examining the Fuji GFX 50s system in some detail, for my work mind you, it is not quite ready for prime time. I am sure many will be happy to have it, but for the particular type of close-up work I do, it just does not quite make it. I can mention a few things, but keep in mind most of these are probably particular to me.

Although it was not that important to me, the GFX is boxy and unattractive physically. I could not have cared less, as long as it was a workhorse for the particular kind of photo work I do. Sadly, I remain unimpressed by the GFX as a workhorse, and this after putting it through its paces as to what most concerns me.

The two lenses that I purchased with it (63mm and 120mm) did not cut the mustard. The 63mm lens simply is not what I was led to expect in Fuji lenses. There was nothing I could find to recommend it, and I would have returned it if I had kept the system.

The 120mm Macro is a different story. It actually is sharp and generally OK. However it is big as all get-out and extends so far out (with its hood) from the body of the GFX that in magnified mode I picked up vibrations of the tiniest floor movement in the studio. That and the fact that its widest aperture is f/4 made it not something I would actually find myself using. And the results did not compare to many of the lenses I have for FF, like the Zeiss Otus series, and others. I had hoped it would sweep me off my feet, but here I stand.

After that, I told myself that the GFX is the least expensive 50 Mpx digital back on the market, and I have dozens of lenses (non-Fuji) that I am waiting to use on the camera. And so I did. I found out, for instance that all of the Zeiss Otus APO lenses (plus the 135mm APO Zeiss) all work well on the GFX. No vignetting, aside from the Otus 28mm, which has a slight corner darkening, but still (for my interests) very usable. That was all good, but there was bad news after that.

While your use may vary, I soon found out that mounting these non-Fuji lenses on the Fotodiox Nikon adapter (which does both “G” and older F-mount lenses) worked, but a price was paid for doing so in terms of IQ. Wanting to keep the GFX, I did my best to give the GFX the benefit of the doubt with these alternative lenses, but common sense overtook me and instead I began to doubt the benefit of doing all this. And hanging heavy glass off the end of the GFX led me to go looking around the studio for some rails I have to support the larger lenses.

And lastly, and perhaps most important for me was that (at least I found) in post-processing the raw files (using ACR) did not have the bandwidth I am used to in the Nikon D810. In particular the blacks, which on the Nikon D810 seem to stretch out forever, on the GFX were there and blown in a flash. What is this? It is almost like their files are not true raw. Perhaps they are some pre-processed form of raw, and I will await the techsperts to tell me what is happening there. As for me, I REALLY didn’t like it. If there is one thing that sealed the deal for returning the system, that was it. I need raw files with at least as much bandwidth as the Nikon raw files.

I had no trouble using the menus, and while the EVF (and LiveView) screens were not totally as nice as I had imagined, they were nicer than the ones on my Nikon D810. Still, when they get dark and grainy, they get dark and grainy. After waiting seven months for the X1D and since January for the GFX, I was loathe not to have a MF mirrorless camera, but as it turns out, I don’t have one.

Again, don’t mind me. I have a very narrow range of what I appear to need to be happy with photo gear. I wouldn’t even bother to post this report, except that I made so much noise about the advent of the GFX, that I feel I owe a report to someone, if only to myself. So, there we have it.

I will wait for the MF scene to continue to develop and perhaps Nikon might actually come across with a 50 Mpx D820 and I would be happy with that. Certainly the Nikon D810 is the finest (all around) camera I have ever used and I will continue to use it. I might even purchase a second copy!
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 22:24:58 »
Thank you for your report/review! You did what you could to put it through it's paces I'm sure.

I have heard some of the points from other photographers, if that is any conciliation,,,

The hunt continues, good you didn't loose hope.
Erik Lund

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2017, 04:04:20 »
As Eric said, thanks for reporting your continuing saga.  All info is valuable, especially from an individual that has provided as much ongoing background info as you have for us. 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA