Author Topic: Hello from Doncaster, England  (Read 1858 times)

Mark Gregory

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Hello from Doncaster, England
« on: February 25, 2017, 10:17:59 »
Hi, thanks for accepting my registration. I've been interested in photography since my first job selling cameras as a saturday lad back in the late 1970's. Heady days with Nikon ruling the roost but way out of my league when it came to purchasing one! Almost 40 years later I'm an enthusiastic photographer and I combine this with passions for angling and travel. I can now afford the cameras I once dreamed about ( well some of them, not all!) and discovered this site whilst researching with a view to purchasing a DF. I'm still mulling that over but it's looking more and more probable! Cheers Mark

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Hello from Doncaster, England
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 10:27:34 »
Welcome to our peaceful corner of the cyberspace :D

Lots of members use the Nikon Df, yours truly amongst them. If you like the camera it'll give you plenty of pleasant experiences in the field. For me, it brought back the 'fun' part of photography.

Just remember the Df is not as robust as the good old F or F2.

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 10:44:50 »
Hi Mark
           Welcome to NG, you will receive much support if you present your queries.
 Maybe a little list of your preferred camera equipment will help others to assess how a Df will integrate into your user experience, especially in the form of available lenses.
From a Suffolk Member.

John Gallagher

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 11:29:20 »
Hi Mark,

Welcome from another UK-based photographer (in Cheshire).
Looking forward to your contributions.
Simone Tomasi

Mark Gregory

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 12:45:47 »
Many thanks for the welcome chaps. At the moment I use all 3 Nikon formats and have several cameras. I have a D800, D700, D7100,a V1 and J5. Most of the photography I do is travel related and if I'm quite honest I'm tiring of the weight of my full frame gear. Whilst I'm tempted with what Fuji has to offer I doubt very much that it would be superior to my D7100, and I'm loathe to invest in a second system. To  Fuji's credit at least they do a proper line of lenses to support the crop sensor. So after just returning from a 3 week trip to India where I got fed up of the D800 24-70 combo I'm thinking of a lighter option and considering a DF and some smaller primes. If I'm honest with myself pretty much 70% of what I shot could have been done with a 35mm prime and the DF just appeals to me as a nice camera to own. My friend has a D4 and I'm well aware of how nice the files are. My favourite camera for years was a Pentax MX, i guess I just find the dials more appealing than current dslr controls.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 13:40:29 »
Welcome to Nikongear. Most of the time I use a heavy body with a prime.

The gripped D500 with the 1.4/24 or 1.4/58 seems all I need. The weight performance relation exceeds my expectation every time I use these.

Yes. A 1.4/105 with one of the big bodies is a pain to carry over a long time. But: the results are out of this world. So. I decided not too switch and If I would go for the GFX not the XPro or XT series. May christmas come we will see.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 14:10:08 »
Welcome to NikonGear! Enjoy 😊
Erik Lund

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 15:23:20 »
Welcome, Mark. I owned and appreciated a D700 for years before moving on to a Df as the workhorse body. Still applause myself for the decision.
Similar forgiving in free hand shooting, better resolution, much better handling of manual lenses, (much) better useable ISO range. Great IQ. Carry around instead of haul around. Fun.
-/-/-

Mark Gregory

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 22:32:17 »
I think Thomas that my reasons for wanting a DF mirror yours. i still use my D700 on a regular basis and often in preference to the D800. I don't have many prime lenses at the moment but am considering a 20mm ais or a Voigtlander 20mm in preference to my 16-35 F4 which i often leave at home because of the weight. I feel its time to strip back my photography and simplify the gear i travel with, like you I don't want to haul gear more slip it in a pocket or waistpack!