Author Topic: There is something terribly wrong about this frog picture  (Read 864 times)

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
There is something terribly wrong about this frog picture
« on: February 25, 2017, 03:02:20 »
A perfectly fine looking frog, enjoyed playing with the GH4,  100-400 .  Pretty amazing OIS for an 800 mm equivalent lens.  Handheld.  ISO 1250  1/100s  f/5.8  318mm (636 equivalent)

The wrong bit comes from the fact that I took this image today, in Michigan!  The frogs shouldn't be out for a couple of months!

Advice and comments always appreciated and learned from.

Cheers

Randy

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: There is something terribly wrong about this frog picture
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 04:15:44 »
I agree that for hand held and a very long lens, it's very good.  Upon enlargement some camera shake can be detected.
I hope the frogs can go back to their hibernation places when the inevitable cold snap occurs!
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 10:46:19 »
Have to agree. No matter how good the OIS is, it is a pretty darn good result at that shutter speed. As far as it being the "wrong" time of the year, consider yourself lucky it came out for you and , maybe it knows something we don't ??

CC - lowering highlights a touch while increasing mid-tone contrast a little should give it just a little more definition.

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 12:10:14 »
Thanks Keith and Mongo:

I appreciate your input!  Mongo, I have lowered the highlights already to reduce the specular reflections off the water on the frog, but will revisit it.  This was a quick grab shot, without tripod or polarizing filter.  Quite dim as well.

Cheers

Randy

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 12:44:15 »
CC - lowering highlights a touch while increasing mid-tone contrast a little should give it just a little more definition.

The frog looks like a hand full. Slight camera movement isn't apparent at screen size and should print to maybe 8x12" (20x30cm) without problems at normal viewing distance.

I use the LCH control in CNX-D or Curves in PS with Luminosity blending to tweak mid tone contrast. I'll add a bit of an S-curve. The master lightness in LCH or Curves with Luminosity blending can be used to increase mid tone contrast without increasing the saturation. The saturation can be adjusted separately if desired.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: There is something terribly wrong about this frog picture - Version 2
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 13:47:41 »
Dave:

Thanks for your input.  The repost post involves a bit more midrange contrast, gives the image a bit more snap.  I had done a luminosity mask of the highlights earlier, but didn't want to overdo the reduction, got a bit muddy looking.

Thanks again everyone!

Randy

My frog has gone back in the water.  It is snowing today as I type this.  Crazy weather.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 17:25:57 »
Nice capture, Randy!  I like the way the wet skin of the frog is rendered.  The reworked version looks better.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 17:56:24 »
Second one is really striking! Very nice rendering of colors and the very wet skin :)
Erik Lund