Author Topic: V3 owners: Does your V3 give you correct exposure in S-mode?  (Read 6304 times)

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
Re: V3 owners: Does your V3 give you correct exposure in S-mode?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2017, 19:03:15 »
My J4 has the same problem at 10 and 20 FPS in S and P mode.
Bruno Schröder

jpgrahn

• NG Member
  • -
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2017, 20:02:14 »
My J4 has the same problem at 10 and 20 FPS in S and P mode.

Thanks for checking!
Another modell added to the list.
In all honesty I never thought to check my camera in P mode. It is a mode I never use myself.

My camera is going back. It was supposed to be picked up yesterday but the shipping company never came to my house. Hopefully they will find the way here on Monday.
Johan Grahn

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2017, 01:23:41 »
I never  use it either but testing is testing. Engineer's culture 😃
Bruno Schröder

jpgrahn

• NG Member
  • -
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2017, 19:28:57 »
An update.
My camera went back to Nikon. They were finally convinced that something was not proper. Main board changed and the camera came back.
When I tested it I very quickly discovered that absolutely nothing had changed. Well, except that the number of exposures were reset to zero.
As far as "fixing" the original problem nothing was accomplished.

This is my theory:
At 6 fps there is enough time between exposures to allow for continues autofocus. At 10 fps and 20 fps continual autofocus is only possible if the aperture is restricted to f1/5.6 or larger. When we get to 30 fps and 60 fps we lose continous autofocus and wherever focus was at the beginning of the sequence it will remain. It is just technical limitation that is not mentioned in the manual. And it seems that it is not even known among Nikon service staff.

I can deal with a limitation. Thanks to Auto-ISO it is not that hard to get good exposures. What surprises me is that it doesn't seem to be known. If Nikon decides to change the main board of the camera it must mean that they also believed there was something wrong. I have no complaints to Nikon service. I believe they were as much in the dark as I was.

Thanks to everybody who tried to help me! I will now resume my regular activity. Focus on the pictures.
Johan Grahn

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2017, 15:41:40 »
JP, I'm late in responding, but thank you for this update. I was very curious about this. I agree that Nikon service probably doesn't know about this. Gotta wonder why, but it happens I suppose.

I'm happy the Manual mode + Auto-ISO is useful to you as a work-around. 

I will now resume my regular activity. Focus on the pictures.
The most fun thing to do in any case.  ;D ;D ;D