Author Topic: Nikon 100th anniversary cameras & lenses  (Read 11650 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Nikon 100th anniversary cameras & lenses
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2017, 02:30:10 »
Thanks, Øivind, for the correction.

I'm not expert for the computer programming or the digital communications, so I have no means to assess the infomation of this kind.  But it is interesting to know that some of the camera manufacturers use common protocols for the communication between the camera and the lens.  The m4/3 is an open format, so there should be descriptions for the communication method in the spec. sheets disclosed to the endorsers.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2017, 03:21:26 »
Nah. One should have an easily programmable interface to the adapter itself.

So the idea is that you tell the adapter what the maximum lens aperture is, and this would be just like inputting the maximum aperture via the camera menu, only easier?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2017, 08:54:44 »
I was more thinking of "loading" the adapter with complete set of basic EXIF. So one would have available the full aperture data (max. and min. values, incl. variations across the focal range for a zoom lens), exit pupil position, lens descriptor (as text), lens ID (MCU-type), etc. Could easily  be done by sending a row of data from an sqllite lookup in a local database via blutooth or app on a smartphone. Enter a lens PIN number and press SEND and voilá your camera now is set up for say a Nikkor-S 5 cm f/1.5 to f/16.

Many RAW converters try to do this in reverse, often with hilarious results. One of the worst in this regard is Photo Ninja, that insists my 24/2.8 Nikkor AIS is a Fisheye (!)  lens. I built my own lens identification module for the archival DB though to circumvent this issue.

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2017, 16:04:56 »
Thanks for the explanation, Bjørn.  That makes sense.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2017, 17:59:46 »
Is this a roadmap, or a wish list?   ;D

My wish list because I hope Nikon will live to see the 101st anniversary. A lot of people do not believe that.

PS Fuji claims to be the only company in the market making money selling cameras.
PPS Sony also makes money but on Sensors not on cameras. Even Canon uses Sony sensors and Leica!!!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/