Author Topic: Down memory lane (3rd and final pano added, 23 Feb)  (Read 3551 times)

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
Down memory lane (3rd and final pano added, 23 Feb)
« on: February 22, 2017, 13:27:39 »
With all the pressure off after my recent exhibition, and not shooting much because of the weather, I decided to re-visit some of my Himalayan images, particularly the 5x4" (12x9cm) transparencies.

So it was that, 38 YEARS AFTER THEY WERE SHOT, I discovered that three 5x4s, shot in 1979 at the head of the Everest valley, could be stitched.

They weren’t shot deliberately to be stitched and my brain was addled (more than usually) by slight altitude sickness - we were at 5700m on the south ridge of Pumo Ri - and I  just did the best I could. Individually the three shots are fine, but stitched they create a fantastic pano, tho' I say so myself. Printed at 300ppi, the print would be five feet long; I have made a couple of tests about 21" long; they look pretty good. The image goes from the Changri La area (left), all the way to Everest and Nuptse (right) The angular coverage is roughly 240deg.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Down memory lane
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 13:56:23 »
I like it, the 'provocation' of not including the peak works very well :) Very well done
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 14:01:41 »
Agree with Erik. Besides, you would need to climb a few additional thousand meters to get all the peaks included :D

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 17:06:10 »
Marvellous view of the peaks. And the air.... :)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 18:04:09 »
Unless you know the place or you don't tell me, I would never know that the coverage is as wide as 240 degree.  My sense of scale is just overwhelmed.  Breath-taking image in the true sense of the word.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 18:05:17 »
If from these mountains you could see the sea it would almost feel like being in the Lake District ;)
(or maybe not)
Seriously awesome shot. Very envious of your travels, irrespective of that they happened so long ago.
Even if I had the chance to visit it soon-ish, I would find a very different Nepal.
What I am NOT envious of, is taking a 4x5 camera up there. Even if the sherpa is doing the hard part of carrying the camera, just handling it at that altitude must be not easy.
Simone Tomasi

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 21:09:03 »
Thank you, Erik, Bjørn, Børge, Akira and Simone for the positive comments - all greatly appreciated.

Erik - this is something I am fond of doing because I find that it increases the tension or drama of a shot. But it's possible to have too much of a good thing (see below).

Akira - the scale of this scene is almost impossible to grasp. Everest summit is 21km from the camera position; the peaks of Changri La (left) are 12-14km away, so we are looking at a scene which is approaching 35km wide. On a really large print - I've made one - the scale does start to become apparent. LATER - no, those distances are wrong; it's about half the figures I gave - sorry. I read the scale on the map wrongly.

Simone - Nima did carry the 5x4, 3 lenses, Polaroid back and filmpack, and ten double 5x4 film holders loaded with colour transparency film. BUT, I carried the 35mm kit - 2 Nikon FE bodies plus 18/4, 24/2.8, 35/2, 55/35 and 80-200/4.5 AND the sodding tripod, as well as ice-axe, crampons, extra clothing, windproof outers, food, drink, survival-bag, extra film, etc etc . . . .

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 21:24:28 »
I like this pano too, though it isn't a stitch, it's a crop. But how long does it take a graphic device to become a cliche?

Manaslu - another  8000m peak in Nepal, and Himalchuli with its head chopped off. The small peak, left, is sometimes called Bauddha.

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 21:49:18 »
Everything feels so close on this first image! It must be a wonderful experience for you to go through these memories and pictures again, and to find such gems.
I remember seeing the Manaslu several times from the touristic Nepalese "Highway", the 2 weeks-long hike around the Annapurna range.

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 22:06:17 »
Thanks, Olivier, and of course it is nice to look back. But I have to remind myself to keep looking forward, too.   :)

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 23:02:11 »
I am amazed by the details in these photos.
I guess that is the reason for taking 4x5 all the way up ;)
Very beautiful.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 23:28:10 »
Thank you for the added info, these are stunning and a great inspiration,,, I hope I can travel there soon,,,
Erik Lund

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 23:51:43 »
Thank you for the added info, these are stunning and a great inspiration,,, I hope I can travel there soon,,,

How soon?
Is it a wish or is there a concrete plan?
Simone Tomasi

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 00:06:23 »
Thanks, Bent and Erik, for your comments.

Erik - if you are serious about going to Nepal I'll help with any information I have. It's 21 years since I was last there, and lots will have changed, especially in Kathmandu. But once you are out amongst the mountains, it will all be just the same as it always was.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 09:13:19 »
How soon?
Is it a wish or is there a concrete plan?

There are no dates set at all,,, Definitely a big wish to do it  ;)
Erik Lund