Author Topic: Teleconverter confusion  (Read 2969 times)

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Teleconverter confusion
« on: February 20, 2017, 19:53:55 »
I need help figuring out which 1.4x teleconverter is appropriate.

Primary use is with two lenses, 180mm 2.8 ai-s, 400mm f/5.6 P.C (AI-converted), but would like to be as suitable for future lenses too.

Choices appear to be
TC-14A
TC-14B
TC-14E
TC-14EII

Apparently the TC-14E's need a tab ground off. Do I lose anything by doing that?

Which is likely to give best image quality? Which gives best perf/$?

Thanks for any help, comments, experiences.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Teleconverter confusion
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 20:13:41 »
The later version of the TC-14E is excellent.

The modification is just to allow otherwise "illegal" lens combinations with the TC. You will not lose any functionality with those lenses for which it was described in the first place, so the mod is quite harmless. For AF/AFD lenses, their AF by screwdriver function is not supported thus these old lenses will not do AF with the 'E' TC, however, metering will work.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 20:18:40 »
The AIS 180/2.8 ED does not have a recessed rear element so is is not compatible with the TC-14B or TC-14E series, it will only fit the TC-14A. The TC-14A is a "general purpose" TC designed for lenses 200mm and shorter. I haven't heard anything about the 180/2.8 ED/TC-14A combination specifically, but in general the TC-14A has a so-so reputation. I would regard it as a last resort option, with these shorter lenses it is generally better just to get the next lens up rather than add a TC. If you need a telephoto between 180mm and 400mm, you would be far better off with the AIS 300/4.5 IF-ED, or one of the newer AFS 300/4 lenses.

The P.C 400/5.6 is compatible with the TC-14B and will also work with modified TC-14E series converters. I have used my AI 400/5.6 ED (basically the same lens) with my TC-14B, with good results. I don't have experience with the TC-14E, being a newer TC you might expect improved performance but some lens/TC combinations work better than others.

The TC-14E has an extra tab on the mount which fits through an extra gap in the mount of the AFI and AFS super-telephoto lenses. This prevents it fitting lenses it is not compatible with. However it will fit older AF and manual focus lenses with recessed rear element, if the extra tab is removed. Since it is only removing a piece of metal from the mount, it has no other effect (apart from voiding warranty :o )

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 20:36:10 »
Thanks Roland,

I agree on use of TC with the 180. Probably not worth it, but for the 400mm it is probably useful.

For Bjorn - what do you mean by "later version"? Is that the TC-14E II? Or are there different versions of the TC-14E? If so, how do I identify "later" version?

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 20:53:56 »
There are two versions of the TC-14E, the original TC-14E and TC-14EII. These are the same optically, different outer cosmetics, maybe improved coatings on the later version. These are compatible with AI lenses.

There is also the TC-14EIII which has a different design, but it does not support AI metering so is not an option for the P-C 400/5.6 ED.

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 21:13:19 »
Hi Jack
           I have filed a tab of on a TC 17E, it was a very simple task and there are many step by step tutorials available on how to achieve it.
As for the 180mm f2.8ED, you could look at using a extension ring between rear of lens and front of TC, this will stop your rear lens and TC front lens making a contact.
I am sure there are performance limitations created by doing this, but there will also be a usable performance and it may be in keeping with your usage.
There are members on NG, who will be familiar with using a Lens/Extension Ring/TC combination.
John Gallagher

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 21:44:26 »
I'm fairly sure even the short PK-11A (8mm extension) will allow a modified TC-14E to fit the AIS 180/2.8 ED without the front element colliding with the rear of the lens. However, the lens will no longer be able to focus to infinity. Such a combination may have use for closeups, but such an arrangement will not be easy to keep steady - the 180 is not a light weight lens, especially hanging off a TC and extension tube will put strain on the lens mount and any tripod support ...

If closeups are the aim, much better to get a PN-11 tube instead and use its built-in tripod mount - it is a much more useful and better balanced solution. Such a combination will get to about 1:3 magnification. Results are reported to be good.
On the other hand, the AFS 300/4 (either version) will get nearly as close, about 1:4, while still focusing to infinity and providing a general purpose lens between 180 and 400mm.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 21:51:29 »
Then there is the semi AF TC-16A that can be converted to work on most new Nikon DSLRs

https://mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/teleconverter/tc16a/index.htm

There is a list of compatible lenses,,,
Erik Lund

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 22:13:53 »
The TC 16A, will give a 288mm f4.8 lens on a full frame body.
It is very sharp in the frame centre, I use one and thoroughly enjoy the different usability it gives a manual focus lens.
I have tracked Geese in flight at close range, my kestrel images were taken using it as well.
It is a very nice tool to have when there are MF Lenses in the Kit Bag.
More importantly, it is no slouch when it gets on a subject, and it is reasonably quiet for a old device.
John Gallagher

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 22:23:07 »
John,

What camera do you use the TC-16A with? I assume it's modified. I've used an unmodified TC-16A with the 400/5.6 ED AI (non-IF) on a D300s. My impression was it gave decent results. If I tried the TC-16A with my D800 and 400/5.6 ED AI I don't remember.

Thanks,

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 22:47:50 »
I think what Jack needs to know is which TC to buy for the 400/5.6 ED (non-AI). I'm interested also. Can someone with experience with the TC14B and TC-14E with the 400/5.6 ED AI give a rundown? I think it's assumed that the TC14E is better but to me anyway it's ambiguous. I'm sorry if I'm slow here.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 22:50:50 »
I have (surprise?) all three items and can do a comparison when I return to my digs later this week.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 22:56:40 »
I have (surprise?) all three items and can do a comparison when I return to my digs later this week.

That would be a great thing. Thank you.

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 00:46:32 »
Not having used a converter on any of these lenses, Mongo's instinct would be to suggest the 14EII (with tab modification). It seems to work extremely well on everything Mongo has attached it to. Your two lenses will probably be no exception.

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 14:03:51 »
Not 1.4X, of course, but the conversion is pretty straightforward.  You can also find them converted on ebay.

http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,5447.msg86977.html#msg86977