Author Topic: Haleakala Low View  (Read 634 times)

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
Haleakala Low View
« on: February 18, 2017, 16:40:24 »
Haleakala Low View by Ron Scubadiver, on Flickr

Stitched pano, 14 exposures, portrait, 24-120VR @ 50mm, altitude approximately 2500 M. 

This is the first time I have been to this vantage point.  If one looks at my other Haleakala pano, the same features are visible.  Peaks in the distance are on the "Big Island", Hawaii.  On the left is Mauna Kea, about 4,200 M.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Haleakala Low View
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 17:23:27 »
First, I've not been up to the top of Haleakala, I've only seen it from the lower elevations of Maui, thus I was not aware of the views from the summit. I had no idea that Mauna Kea could be seen so clearly from your position, and this thread, with your explanation, it clears up some confusion here.

I was puzzled by shot in the first Haleakala thread, because it showed peaks that looked to be higher than it, and I didn't recall any such peaks on Maui. So, the space between your position on Haleakala and those peaks is compressed in the photo to the point of being all but invisible, and it looks to me like those peaks are right next door to Haleakala instead of miles away on another island entirely.

None of this is a complaint, I enjoyed the shots, but I was surprised by the compression in the image, it fooled my eye.
Carl

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
Re: Haleakala Low View
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 18:04:27 »
Thank you CS.  The view of Mauna Kea is usually associated with the peak @ 3000 meters.  What may look like other peaks in the other thread may be an illusion caused by the haze.  There are no higher peaks on Maui.  Note there is snow on Mauna Kea.