Author Topic: 200-400/4 ED - Worth It?  (Read 18825 times)

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: 200-400/4 ED - Worth It?
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2017, 00:49:46 »
Well, I lost out on this particular stiff-focus ring version, but I found another at a reasonable price.  I tend to move slowly with these big ($ and size) lens purchases.

I just doesn't come with the yellow Nikon bag, which is OK with me.

Did this lens come with a 122mm Nikon screw in front cap in addition to the soft hood/cover?

John
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2017, 01:20:15 »
No, but it carried an extension hood, a draw-string 'purse' for the front, and the nice yellow 'sailor' canvas bag.

I believe Nikon moved away from supplying those 122 mm solid metal front caps in favour of the fabric 'purse'. Last lens I received with the 122 mm cap was the 360-1200 Nikkor (AI). These big screw-in caps are impractical as even a slight damage to the front threads will made them get stuck.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2017, 08:59:09 »
Too bad you missed out on it, it was a very good price for such a rare lens and in very nice condition, a quick clean and lube and it would have been almost Mint,,,

I suggest you make up your mind first how much money you will spend on a particular item in that price range and in what condition you want it in, so you are prepared to strike when the item appears that meet your requirements, or it will be very difficult for you to a good deal,,,

I got lucky just the other day, the wait for the 200mm AFS 2 has been several years,,, The £ has lost a lot of value against the € so shopping in UK is 30% off and knowing a shop there that rate the 200m much lower than the 300mm AFS 2.8 and similar lenses, did that I got it Mint at 2,400 US$ all included,,,

Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2017, 09:17:57 »
Congratulations, Erik. The AFS 200/2 either version is a wonderful optic.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2017, 09:39:51 »
Thank you Bjørn! It is the first version but the overall rendering is just so beautiful - The perfect lens.
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2017, 09:53:45 »
Even the first version was stellar.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2017, 11:01:01 »
Apparently the only differences between the first and the second versions of 200/2 are the nano crystal coating and the generation of VR...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2017, 11:12:38 »
There was also added A/M to the focus option - The first version was: M/A and M only,,,

I think there was a small difference in the lens collar as well but not sure it was for the 200mm AFS f/2 or another lens now,,,
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2017, 11:55:10 »
There was also added A/M to the focus option - The first version was: M/A and M only,,,

I think there was a small difference in the lens collar as well but not sure it was for the 200mm AFS f/2 or another lens now,,,

Well, if you are like Bjørn, you may want to glue the switch to "M" position permanently.  So, the difference would be non -existent!   ;D
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2017, 12:03:28 »
He he - the AF speed and overall performance is just amazing so would be a great shame to do so ;)

I'll open another thread when I have some more images, not to pollute this 200-400mm f74 thread anymore ;)
Erik Lund

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2017, 12:54:40 »
Apparently the only differences between the first and the second versions of 200/2 are the nano crystal coating and the generation of VR...

The tripod collar/foot is markedly improved in version II. The 1st version is left vibrating after several seconds after touching the lens or camera, or after a shot has been taken. In the second version of the lens, the vibration dies quickly and is not left ringing.

The nano coating in this lens does make a difference, ver 1 is lower contrast at f/2 than ver 2. Both are very sharp but I appreciate the improvement since I almost always shoot this lens wide open.

I have not heard of the settings switches on the side of the lens breaking (I am not saying that they can't break, but I've never heard anyone having this problem), so there is no reason to glue it. It is the thin rotating ring switches, of which some tend to break. The autofocus of this lens is extremely fast and after fine tuning to camera, quite precise and accurate. At first I felt the 70-200/2.8 G II was giving me higher percentage of focus keepers than the 200/2 (1st version) but it was then that I realized that I needed to use fine tuning for the first time. In fact my D3 required -17 with this lens (while some other cameras required zero). My version II works best at fine tune close to zero with all my cameras.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2017, 14:06:55 »
Thank you for confirming the tripod collar difference, it's seems lost on the internet,,, Can you remember the details? I recall we talked about it on the old NikonGear many years ago,,, I'll se if I can locate the drawings,,,

I'll report back with my finding on that as well, I have ordered two different versions of alternative Arca/RRS compatible lens foot for it.
I have also upgraded to HK-30 lens hood - The Supplied HK-31 is designed to accommodate the lens foot when reversed for transport, just plainly wrong/hilarious,,,

For sure I would have liked the Mark II version but not at double/ the cost, I can dial up contrast in PP if and when I like enough for my taste.

Some online reviews mention the first one as the sharpest, I have a hard time understanding how this could be, I have shot many lenses before and after the Nano coating versions,,, never seen that difference that the first would be sharper,,, Anyway this lens is up there in sharpness where only a handful of the best Nikkor lenses are performing so I'm very happy with the original.
Erik Lund

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2017, 15:05:34 »
Thom Hogan I recall said his 1st version was a bit sharper than the 2nd but I think it is just random variation between samples.

I use the Nikon foot on the 2nd version (on the 1st I used RRS foot with an additional PVC piece designed to fit between the tail of the foot and on both sides of the switch control panel; this effectively eliminated vibrations but made the lens a bit more clumsy to use hand held). I add a QR plate when doing shots with a tripod, but most of my photography with this lens is hand held.  I think for hand held use having the smaller Nikon foot on the lens is more comfortable. For tripod shots with 2X, maybe the longer foot (and preferably the additional piece to make second contact) is a good idea to use for better balance and maybe reduced vibrations. But nowadays I don't use TCs often with the 200/2 since I have a longer lens.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2017, 15:20:36 »
I ran two stainless steel bolts through the foot of my 200/2 AFS to stabilise the lens mount on a tripod. Works pretty well if one is careful and don't push down on the lens itself (the infamous 'Long Lens Technique' that virtually guarantees unsharp images as soon as speeds drop).

We are about to derail this thread form its original topic, namely, the 200-400/4 ED AIS ...

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2017, 15:44:52 »
Back to the 200-400/4 ED AIS!

Yeah, I tend to take my time on these big purchases and sometimes lose out, but I'm now well prepared for the next opportunity.

The other one I've found appears to be in great shape, except it's missing the yellow Nikon bag (I don't care) and apparently the screw/cover that's on the tripod collar opposite the collar tightening knob.

See picture attached.

What does this missing knob/screw do and will I miss it?

- John
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing