Author Topic: TC-16A updating  (Read 3620 times)

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
TC-16A updating
« on: February 16, 2017, 14:37:20 »
This has been done before and there are quite a few good step by steps on the web.  Like https://www.foolography.com/diy/modify-tc-16a/, and http://www.cocoon-creations.com/download/TC-16A_mods_comments_Jaco_Mostert.pdf is also good.

Here are the photos of my modification.  Taken with my iPhone, so not the best quality, but convenient for me!

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: TC-16A updating
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 14:39:21 »
and some more.

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 14:42:04 »
then, it all carefully goes back together.  That is actually the hardest part as the springs and pins are hard to line up with the contacts. 

It all works well!  I've used it a bit on a 300 2.8 ai, and though it's finicky as the focus range is short, it's still locks into focus.  I'll have to get some more time with it to see if it's actually a useful setup. 

Brent 

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 14:52:44 »
Second to last image should show soldering the wire to the spring ;)

BTW keep track of the spongy springs,,, :)
Erik Lund

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 15:02:07 »
I've only got 2 hands, Erik!!!!

;D

I'd heard that you can burn the contacts if you do the solider poorly (ie, too hot).  But if you have a sharp point and the right temp, and everything is tinned properly, it takes hardly any heat/time to bond the parts.

You're right.  Those little springs have a mind of their own.  One decided to take some respite in the internals of the TC. 

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 15:41:15 »
Exactly my points!

Also the solder/silver can be sucked up into the spring coils,,,

Thanks for posting this fine how to here! It is quite an ingenues way to AF your old MF Nikkors, very cleverly done by the Nikon engineers!
Erik Lund

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 16:28:01 »
I guess it made sense for them to design this in that era.  In such a small package, too! 

You're right about the springs.  It wouldn't take much to fill them with solder. 

One thing to remember:  Camera with the ability to choose aperture by the aperture ring must have that custom function enabled, otherwise you get the FEE error.  I haven't tried this on the D80 but suspect I'll need to put something on the TC to engage the aperture feeler button (not sure what the exact name is).

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 16:36:03 »
Yes you need to add an Aperture Follower Tap, so that the camera know the lens is at minimum aperture value smallest opening,,,
Erik Lund

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 18:32:43 »
Thanks for that, Erik,
and for the terminology!  I don't expect to use this on the D80 but may do.  I'll have to come up with a more elegant way to add this tap as what the other sites show is pretty hideous to me!