Author Topic: Some different Zeiss glass  (Read 1889 times)

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
Some different Zeiss glass
« on: February 10, 2017, 19:43:34 »
Just ordered two new pairs of glasses.... always with Zeiss glass!!

https://www.zeiss.com/vision-care/en_us/products/eyeglass-lenses/progressive-lenses/progressive-individual-2-new.html

Happy weekend!
Rob.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Some different Zeiss glass
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 20:06:28 »
They are made of plastic, right?
Please let us know how good they are.  I tried [non-Zeiss]'progressive' lenses a few years ago, and was disappointed in the severely restricted field of view:  at least 50% of the mid-distance field was totally blurred and useless. They were inferior to bifocal lenses.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 18:34:54 »
Please let us know how good they are.  I tried [non-Zeiss]'progressive' lenses a few years ago, and was disappointed in the severely restricted field of view:  at least 50% of the mid-distance field was totally blurred and useless. They were inferior to bifocal lenses.

Same here, some, years earlier.  I prefer having a clear field of vision all around, so it was bifocals.  My internal optical system adapted pretty fast.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 19:07:39 »
Same here, some, years earlier.  I prefer having a clear field of vision all around, so it was bifocals.  My internal optical system adapted pretty fast.
Unfamiliar steep staircases and jumping from boulder to boulder take on a new sense of thrill also.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 17:15:03 »

Yes I think they are plastic, I should have put "Glass" in quotes!

I am not sure what you tried, but the ones I get are measured and cut precisely for my eyes and the areas of the lens for near, middle, and far are engineered in a way to not cause any problems like that. I have had this style for 4-5 years and I highly recommend them!  They are high index, meaning very thin (1.67 or 1.74) and have Duravision Platinum coating (they don't call it "nano-coating"). They do follow the Zeiss tradition of being pricey though!!  The lenses alone cost like a AF-S 105 2.8 (thankfully not like a 105 1.4!!!).

In any case, I thought interesting to see some other Zeiss product lines!  https://www.zeiss.com/corporate/int/home.html  I wonder what % of revenue is from camera lenses?

Cheers,
Rob.