Author Topic: KatzEye Focus Screen On D7100 Thoughts?  (Read 3146 times)

mncorrado

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
KatzEye Focus Screen On D7100 Thoughts?
« on: February 07, 2017, 23:38:29 »
I was able to purchase a KatzEye focus screen for my D7100 before they closed down.  Call me a chicken but I am not comfortable with installing the screen myself.  Since I am going to be sending my body and primary Nikon AF lens in for a cleaning/adjustment I figured now is the time to make the leap.  Perhaps...

I purchased the focus screen because have a fair number of AI/AIS prime lenses.  I enjoy using them on my D7100 though at times there seems to be some "wiggle" room focus wise.  I figure the split prism and micro-prism of the KatzEye will help me more accurately use my vintage glass.  Since I shoot RAW and most of my glass is f2.8 to f3.5 I figure I am golden for any exposure compensation related to the use of new focus screen even when using spot metering.  If you have used one of the KatzEye screens on a D7100 or otherwise, I would love to hear about your experience.  Also curious if the KatzEye screen is/was noticeably dimmer than the Nikon one?

On a related note, I have noticed when using my vintage manual focus Nikon lenses that when i focus them at infinity (hard stop on lens) that I always have to back off my focus a tiny bit except at very distant objects.  For example my Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens shows infinity effectively at 10m and beyond yet if I focus on a building 50m away and use LiveView I have to focus ever so slightly closer to be super accurate when zoomed in.  This does not seem like normal focus behavior yet perhaps it is due to the nature of the crop sensor?  This is part of the reason I wanted to send my body in to insure there is no back or front focus issues.

Thanks!
Jeff

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: KatzEye Focus Screen On D7100 Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 04:49:56 »
There is no argument against making sure the camera is properly aligned.  Lenses can be off also.  I have several regular prime, non-ED, non-super tele lenses that go "past" infinity when they are set at the hard infinity mark.  In some cases, they came that way from the factory.
However,  50 meters does not constitute infinity.  Retest using live view mag on a subject several kilometers/miles away to be sure.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 09:56:34 »
Please accept that Infinity is very far away :) is the 50mm 1.8 test done in AF or MF,,, the 'green dot' will never be as accurate as Live View
Erik Lund

mncorrado

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 15:04:29 »
Thanks guys.  I knew that to be the case from a practical standpoint but it just seemed odd.

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 13:02:28 »
....  If you have used one of the KatzEye screens on a D7100 or otherwise, I would love to hear about your experience.  Also curious if the KatzEye screen is/was noticeably dimmer than the Nikon one?

On a D300.
Still have it, will never let the D300 go simply due to the screen!

Fitting was easy peasy. In saying that tho, I have removed and cleaned and refitted the screens on both D300 and D70s prior to fitting the Katzeye.
With the helpful tools they supply in the box, it made it less worrying using a pair of pliers and whatever I had to hand prior to the Katzeye tools! :D

Adjusting focus was easy too.
I worried a bit over this myself but again a little prior experience with focus adjustment probably helped.

Prior to getting the Katzeye, I used liveview to fine tune the manual focus adjuster screw in the mirror box.
Seemed hard to get too, but having read instructions on how too, I thought to have a go anyhow.

Prior to the katzeye, I had a hard time focusing the 50/1.2 at close-ish distances with any certainty. So using live view, I set the lens up to be in focus, and using the green dot method, finely tuned the manual focus screw stop for the mirror.
What I'd done was to ensure that the green dot would light up when focus was near achieved or as accurately as possible when focusing from near(to far).
The green dot is no way near accurate enough for the DOF at close range.

So now, my manual focus system is 'out of whack' by Nikon standards, but working fine for my purposes.

Enter the Katzeye!
Live view focus confirms that the 50/1.4 is in focus, but Katzeye is not in focus(split prism is not lined up correctly).
Obviously my manual focus(for green dot) fix for the 50/1.2 was not ideal for the Katzeye screen.
Fix was to readjust the manual focus stop to make it ideal again.

Once again easy fix, took about 15mins with abotu 5 shots taken to confirm everything works fine .. all that was done years ago(maybe back in '09-'10)_ and have never had an issue since.

Point to note. I got the mosre costly optibright option at the time.

Vf brightness is incomparable to any current Nikon Vf I've tried, since and before.
I haven't tried D4 and D5s(no interest) but I have tried D3s at about that same time.
Katzeye is much brighter. (remember tho, I have the optibright treatment).

Split screen blackout is for all intents and purposes not an issue.
I can invoke it at f/22 on my old manual Tamron 300/2.8 with both 1.4 and 2x converters hooked up.
At f/22 with just the bare lens, I still only just get a glimpse of it(but not blackout).

500/8 with a 2x converter did cause blackout .. I think. It was a long time ago that I had that opportunity, so can't recall with full clarity.
Bare 500/8 is not a problem tho.

And just to refresh my ailing memory . I just hooked up the 180/2.8 Ais. Set it to f/32 and hit DOFP. Only just barely noticeable split prism blackout, and to describe it is a very slight BMW badge pattern .. not really a blackout as such.

If Nikon were smart, they should have bought the rights to Katzeye's replacement viewfinders and marketed them as their own.
It seems that many Nikon users crave good manual focus ability and these things are close to ideal.

Haven't noted any weird exposure issues(which you may get warnings about), and AF seems totally unaffected(as would be expected).

Hope that helps.
Arthur

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 21:11:13 »
Yesterday I change my focusing screen on my D 7000 with a diagonal split prism plus microprisms, I bougted from eBay
It's two minutes work to change and I can focus more easy with my manual lens and even G lenses when I need selective focus with wide open diafragm
I didn't notice any change in light and the accuracy of focus seems good

The bonus is that now my viewfinder seems more..friendly since my analog days with FM, F2As are not so far ;D

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 23:52:02 »

Just for reference, anyone interested in alternate focusing screens, their brightness etc. might want to check out this previous thread:
http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,539.30.html

I currently have all matte Katzeye screens in my D7100 and my 3 other DSLR bodies. As for need for focus adjustment, none was needed for D7100, while two other bodies needed either an extra shim (home made) or a mirror angle adjustment.
Øivind Tøien

mncorrado

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 01:45:28 »
Well the service center is installing the screen as I write this.  It will be adjusted if need be with shims.  I am looking forward to the return of my d7100 cleaned up, adjusted, and functioning with the new screen.  Hopefully it will make a difference for me over the next year.  If not I will just return to the factory screen.

Jeff

Postscript...
Well I got the d7100 back with the focus screen installed.  I have to admit I am enjoying using it with my vintage lenses.  I only have played with them for a very small amount of time but I "feel" my focus accuracy is much better.  Additionally I believe the IQ of my 18-140 lens is better.  I have yet to try my 18-55.  When I spoke to the person on the phone about my requests they said focus adjustment/calibration was needed on both of my AF lenses.  I need to get out and about to "see" if there is a substantial difference for the better.

The only small irritation of course is that I am unable to turn on or off the AF point within the viewfinder.  I just move it to one corner of the frame when using my manual focus lenses and ignore the out of focus warning in the viewfinder.  I also have placed it exactly in the center but it does slightly defeat the purpose of getting the screen in the first place.  Precise focusing using the split and micro-prism.  I guess so far so good!  Too bad the company went out of biz.  For some applications and users it seems like an amazing fit.  Double too bad that Nikon does not offer such a focus screen.  I totally understand it.  Using such a screen with vintage lenses does not steer the end user into purchasing new lenses.