Author Topic: Hello (again) from Canada  (Read 2098 times)

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Hello (again) from Canada
« on: February 03, 2017, 04:35:52 »
Hi NG,
I've been floating around here for a little while and haven't taken the time to introduce myself. 
A bit of background:  I live close to Toronto and work close to Niagara Falls for a marine services company.  That job takes me around North America.  I started shooting nikon with an F80 in highschool.  My first DSLR was the D1h which I bought when I was 19.  Not a great life choice but it was a lot of fun and served me well for a long time.  I tend to do more shooting when on vacation with my wife where we're doing fun stuff outdoors (climbing, skiing, fishing, etc).  I really enjoy tinkering with lenses and cameras. 
I like the culture of this site and have learned a lot in my time lurking.  I hope I can contribute.

Brent

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Hello (again) from Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 06:12:47 »
Welcome (again?)  :)

I find the contributions from all over one of the very interesting sides of NG. Feel free to share images from your wide corner of the world!

Paco

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 08:56:25 »
Brent, I feel as though we know each other for a very long time :)
I am looking forward to your photos!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 10:04:53 »
Welcome to NikonGear! Enjoy ;)
Erik Lund

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 10:45:19 »
The D1, hey. What a long time ago this was. Do you still use her?

Welcome to our place!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 02:16:30 »
Thanks for the warm welcomes!

the "again" was since I'd been posting already and already said hello!

Paco, thank you! 

Jakov, by now, we have!  thanks for all the correspondence! 

Thanks, Erik!

Frank, thank you!  I bought the D1h in 2003.  I remember it cost me about 1600USD on ebay, which ended up being almost 3000 Canadian with duty!  My parents flipped out, and rightly so, as it was a bad investment for a 19 year old.  I used it most recently 2 years ago then for some reason something went wrong and the sensor started capturing photos with a green cast.  I would still use it today for IR but can't figure out the green cast problem!

take care

Brent

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 10:18:37 »
Frank, thank you!  I bought the D1h in 2003.  I remember it cost me about 1600USD on ebay, which ended up being almost 3000 Canadian with duty!  My parents flipped out, and rightly so, as it was a bad investment for a 19 year old.  I used it most recently 2 years ago then for some reason something went wrong and the sensor started capturing photos with a green cast.  I would still use it today for IR but can't figure out the green cast problem!

Ask here in the "what the Nerds do" section. Some people might know what it is, some people even might know how to fix it. Or some people might know someone who knows.

Plus you can buy one for 75 US$ here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D-D1H-2-7-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Black-Body-Only-/112285481725
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 18:10:14 »
thanks for the info, Frank.
I thought about replacing it with a D2h as I have batteries for that in my 700.  I also have an upgraded battery (lithium) for the D1h......
It would be a fun project to fix it so I may well ask.

Brent