Author Topic: DJI Mavic Pro - from a camera perspective  (Read 9192 times)

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
Re: DJI Mavic Pro - from a camera perspective
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 09:24:44 »
I very much look forward to see photos taken with your Mavic, and I would be interested in some raw-files as well.

Herewith the DropBox links to the two (2) presented pictures i.e. one in JPEG and the other in DNG Raw:

(1) JPEG file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1frbnblnaz43944/DJI_0093%20copie.JPG?dl=0
(2) DNG file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ft61x2hwmiefdz/DJI_0100%20copie.DNG?dl=0
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 09:48:03 »
Thanks for the provided image!

The field of view is much better for my use than the other DJI offerings.

For video it looks quite acceptable, but the still image is not quite what I was looking for.

I have watched a couple of videos online and must say I very impressed by the performance!
Erik Lund

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 10:07:55 »
The two pictures were made in far from ideal circumstances i.e. a lot of moisture in the air etc.  But not withstanding of the foregoing, we already see the limits of the possible obtainable image quality. And this might just not be good enough for the members of this forum.  As all computer HDD - hard disks - will crash one time or the other, it is the same for drones, although more literally; and, for the time being, I'm ready to expose €1000 plus but not more, unless I become more proficient.  Let's say it's a "toe in the water" 😊.  It gives wonderful perspectives, though, for landscape photographers, and even much more for videographers.  And I'm quite sure that the next iteration of the DJI Mavic Pro will be with an even better sensor e.g. a 1" one at an affordable price.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 10:23:56 »
In fact, really portable, but IQ still so~so...

My experience is limited to a full size drone carrying a full DSRL body for architectural purposes, so I'm spoiled...

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 11:25:12 »
Pedro, please do not hesitate to post some of your pictures here, so that everybody can assess the quality 😎
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 13:21:04 »
I had to plunge on the non approved ones.
Here's a drone photo of a particular architectural project that will land near Palácio da Ajuda

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2017, 16:18:13 »
Not sure what camera/drone was used Pedro, but image quality seems about the same as the Mavic Pro from the linked JPG. Or an I missing something?
Erik Lund

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2017, 21:03:44 »
Hi Erik, I can see a great difference in quality, not only in definition but also on maintained and respected perspectives.
Nevertheless I had just that session using a rent drone (and a rent pilot...). Don't remember the model, but it was big, had a 4Kg lifting power, and full of features. The photo gear was Canon.
The issue with, at least found on that day, was it was easy to get a stellar photo, as well one right to garbage. Pilot suspicion, was the AF control system, and the constant speed variation of rotors to maintain position. Mine was the vibration control was not so good...
I cannot post the stellar ones, but they are stellar in quality.
That one is from the non approved ones, and the ratio was down to 10:1
At that time I was not brave enough to put on air, even if the drone allowed, my D810 with the 24 f1.4

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2017, 22:44:15 »
Ok thanks, most likely some quality is lost in the web file
Erik Lund

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2017, 01:12:53 »
Pedro, as far as I can see, the picture you posted has not been corrected for perspective.  And the right middle side look somewhat blurry. At least, what appears on the webcasted picture.   
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2017, 10:50:06 »
Right, it’s straight from the camera, and being a Canon one, doesn't correct automatically on my software.
As I said can't post the approved ones that have been post processed.

We have in fact tried to stich some photos, with a not so wide lens, but it proved hard because, even that monster drone, was far from being a tripod. It was a great journey with lots of learning. Thermals, wind, dust, all plays a huge part in those low altitude photos. Also, architects do prefer certain angles that are more or less hard to get according to different lenses. Typical aerial photography isn’t so critical towards these factors, thought.

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2017, 18:56:10 »

We have in fact tried to stich some photos, with a not so wide lens, but it proved hard because, even that monster drone, was far from being a tripod.

I have actually done some succesful stitching (panorama) with my humble bumble-bee Phantom 2 and a Sony RX100. Three photos with a slight rotation of the copter between each. I used PTGUI for the stitching.
Bjørn Jørgensen

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2017, 19:11:39 »
Please, show us 😊
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2017, 20:19:36 »
Here is Reine in Lofoten as the birds see it. Three photos stitched.
Bjørn Jørgensen

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2017, 21:04:41 »
Bjørn, beautiful! May be some more technical details ?
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν