Author Topic: [PaW] Paris - Singapore  (Read 8899 times)

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
[PaW] Paris - Singapore
« on: January 27, 2017, 22:53:38 »
I agreed when my employer offered to transfer me to the Parisian area 16 years ago, as a way to come back to France after a prolonged and enjoyable stay in New Jersey, USA. The secret plan was to rapidly find another job, somewhere else in the country. But life would be boring if everything worked as expected... And so everything looked suddendly very enjoyable around the capital when Cupid caught me off-guard!
We've spent many wonderful years here with our childen, but my wife and I actually share the same desire to live a new adventure under different skies.
I was appointed by a competitor to take a new position in Singapore, and will move some time in May. While we expect this to be only for a few years, it is a big change as we are selling the house and many of our belongings. We've been very busy lately deciding what to do and how to organize it, there was not much time or envy for me to work on photography. This has to change now, and I've decided to start a project with a loose theme: I will document the transition with at least one picture a week. It could be pictures of people or places I will leave here and maybe miss, or, later, scenes or faces that we encounter in our new life.

Week 1: Winter in Mery
We've experienced cold temperatures recently, something I will definitely miss in the upcoming years. But more than winter, I will miss the changing sceneries in the gardens of the Chateau de Méry sur Oise, close enough to our house to be considered our own gardens... I've spent many hours looking for different perspectives, and mostly in infrared.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
Re: [PaW] Paris - Singapore
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 00:07:59 »
Hope the move goes well, Olivier.

I look forward to following the photo project.

The first image is a great start!
Anthony Macaulay

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 00:53:51 »
Good luck with the move Olivier.

My daughter lived in Singapore for several years and I really did enjoy my visits there.  They have some wonderful parks, gardens, and bird exhibits.

Only six hours to Australia - your next destination after Singapore?  He he.
Hugh Gunn

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 01:05:59 »
Olivier, I wish you a good luck with your new job, people and place!

I'm looking forward to the development of this promising thread!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 03:00:22 »
Beautiful tonality in this shot.  I will follow your thread with interest.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 04:23:37 »
".... but my wife and I actually share the same desire to live a new adventure under different skies."

All the best with your new adventure  :)
I've spent much more time In Paris than Singapore.   Very different cities and cultures, cool.   After almost 20 years in India I am thinking of another move but where ...  ;) >  Not sure my wife actually shares the desire to move.   The idea of selling most of my worldly possessions is appealing.  Fresh start.    I have been a foreigner most of my life .

I really like the framing and tones of your image.  Fun project and I look forward to your next few months of images.
Cheers
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 10:01:45 »
Great shot, and a great step Olivier. Good luck !

Looking forward about the further results of your project.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 10:11:21 »
Excellent choice, Olivier!
Every sixth person in Singapore is a millionaire, so your odds are great. Have a few more kids and voilà :)
I will be enjoying this thread a lot, and I can hardly wait for a Singapore one.

Good luck and best wishes!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 11:29:19 »
God luck for your new life with your family, Olivier !

I guess it wasn't an easy decision.

This thread will be very interesting. I am going to follow it, for sure.

Thanks for sharing.

Francis.
Francis Devrainne

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 14:53:35 »
Thanks everyone. It will be an adventure...
Hugh: yes, Australia would be a fantastic follow up. My wife did spend some time there and raves about it!
Jakov: Every sixth person... So for once I'll be in the majority. Or we just have to define which currency we're counting in.
Francis: it wasn't easy from a professional standpoint, but we really are looking forward to changing schools. The international system in Singapore will give a chance to my chidren to becoming easily bilingual. And they need to be challenged a bit more. My son asked his teacher to give him more work this week, and the answer was "no, you need to remain close to the average level of the class so wait for the other ones". This drives me crazy.

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 15:29:27 »
My son asked his teacher to give him more work this week, and the answer was "no, you need to remain close to the average level of the class so wait for the other ones". This drives me crazy.

I share your feelings. Let's hope the things will change after some mains elective consultations soon... ::)

About Singapore, I only know Changhi airport when I was on my way to Australia, few years ago. But I was really impressed : carpet everywhere (thousands of square meters) pristine toilets evreywere, food shops everywhere, plus many duty free shops

Really impressive airport !

I flew with Singapore airline : very very good airline company. ;)
Francis Devrainne

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 17:57:38 »
About everyone in Singapore under the age of 85 yo seems to have a good grasp of English.  In fact many of the locals only speak English.

I am sure that your son will get pushed hard by his teachers once he gets to school over there -  if anything, Asians take education even more seriously than do the Scots, and Singapore is probably the leader of the pack. 
I will ask my daughter for the names of some of the better schools there and PM you.
Hugh Gunn

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 18:07:54 »
Thank you very much, Hugh. It is quite difficult and seemingly not desirable to send the children to local schools (not that they are not good enough, they are excellent but they push competition to an extreme). We will look for international schools as the company will pay for this. The Canadian, amongst others, has a good reputation (and so does the French buth this is for later).

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 19:14:25 »
My son asked his teacher to give him more work this week, and the answer was "no, you need to remain close to the average level of the class so wait for the other ones". This drives me crazy.

That's not good to hear.  The teacher sound like the average teacher of Japanese average schools.  They don't know how to develop the talent of each individual students.  :o :o :o
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 19:32:00 »
I always loved and adored your contributions here. Always a tad of magic and emotion on top of solid craftsmanship. The internet will keep us connected wherever you may roam. Good luck with your transition to Asia. To a very different city. Singapore. Fascinating!!!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/